Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Does One Become an "Expert"
jenboo 09:22 AM 01-13-2020
I am very interested in learning more about infant development especially when it comes to daycare.
I am all about respectful caregiving, loose parts play etc. I would love to one day give trainings for daycares about how to better their infant rooms, present at conferences (im terrified at public speaking ) and more.

How would I go about doing this?? How do I get expert knowledge on a topic? Do I need more schooling? What makes me legit and qualified to present this information??

Thanks everyone!
Blackcat31 09:50 AM 01-13-2020
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I am very interested in learning more about infant development especially when it comes to daycare.
I am all about respectful caregiving, loose parts play etc. I would love to one day give trainings for daycares about how to better their infant rooms, present at conferences (im terrified at public speaking ) and more.

How would I go about doing this?? How do I get expert knowledge on a topic? Do I need more schooling? What makes me legit and qualified to present this information??

Thanks everyone!
In my state in order to teach trainings or speak as an expert in a specific subject you must meet certain qualifications.

I'd look into what the people in your state that conduct trainings have to do.

I will PM you the link for my state's info on becoming a trainer that better describes what I mean...
jenboo 09:56 AM 01-13-2020
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
In my state in order to teach trainings or speak as an expert in a specific subject you must meet certain qualifications.

I'd look into what the people in your state that conduct trainings have to do.

I will PM you the link for my state's info on becoming a trainer that better describes what I mean...
Thanks!
Cat Herder 10:32 AM 01-13-2020
Our state starts with a minimum of Bachelors's with two professional letters of recommendation within 6 months, 3 years experience training, 1 year direct care and a slew of other requirements that read like mud.
DaveA 11:16 AM 01-13-2020
Judging by some "experts" I've heard recently it means a bunch of meaningless initials after their name and having not actually seen a child since the Carter Administration.

Like BC & CH said- if you're dealing with state or program trainings there are unique requirements depending on the state & program. For other trainings like conferences, onsite trainings and some R&R inservices it's not as set in stone. They might have few if any requirements for qualifications. When I've done a "men in ECE" inservice at a conference or R&R it's either been an organizer contacting me or me volunteering and submitting an overview of the training. My CPR trainings are affiliated with a training center (local hospital), but I handle the logistics. There the biggest time consumer is marketing, scheduling, and making sure the client gets the right type of training. But other than my name being given out by an agency or R&R they have no role in what/ how I teach.

I think I just made things less clear, so feel free to ask away if you have a question.
Tags:expert
Reply Up