Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>WWYD? Family (*Friends*) Debating Policies
Emsdayhome 09:44 AM 09-03-2013
Hi ! WWYD , I have a friend who is going back to work temporarily. She'll be full time for 4 months, and her daughter will be attending daycare here, knowing full well she is only full time for 4 months. No big deal, I'm ok with helping a friend out. She tell me yesterday that her and hubby are ok with contract and policies EXCEPT: they don't want to pay for sick days, they don't want to pay for vacation days (I take partial fee for a week, and no pay for one, over the course of a year- families have the same treatment with fees for THEIR vacay) and they don't want to pay for stat holidays.

So....how would I treat this one?? I'm already going out on a limb for them, and I think they're wonderful and their baby is amazing. We're quite good friends, but at what point do you say " wait a minute, this is a business not a charity" ...... I'm just not sure how to go about this. I won't even be taking vacation while their daughter is in my care...she's only here till Feb!
EAP 09:46 AM 09-03-2013
don't change your policy for them or they will always push the issue no matter how long they are there for or what the policy is.
Play Care 09:57 AM 09-03-2013
Originally Posted by EAP:
don't change your policy for them or they will always push the issue no matter how long they are there for or what the policy is.

I would probably tell them "Sally, my policies are the same for all clients, I've found it leads to trouble otherwise. I'd love to care for Susie, but understand if you need to go elsewhere."
Put it back on her.
JenNJ 10:14 AM 09-03-2013
"All of my contracts are the same. Unfortunately, I can't take little Sally without a contract. I can't have different contracts for different clients. I understand totally if you need to find other care and there will be no hard feelings. After all, this is business situation."
butterfly 10:17 AM 09-03-2013
I would tell them that it's not going to work out. My policies are non-negotiable. I wouldn't feel bad about telling that either.
Blackcat31 10:23 AM 09-03-2013
Originally Posted by Emsdayhome:
Hi ! WWYD , I have a friend who is going back to work temporarily. She'll be full time for 4 months, and her daughter will be attending daycare here, knowing full well she is only full time for 4 months. No big deal, I'm ok with helping a friend out. She tell me yesterday that her and hubby are ok with contract and policies EXCEPT: they don't want to pay for sick days, they don't want to pay for vacation days (I take partial fee for a week, and no pay for one, over the course of a year- families have the same treatment with fees for THEIR vacay) and they don't want to pay for stat holidays.

So....how would I treat this one?? I'm already going out on a limb for them, and I think they're wonderful and their baby is amazing. We're quite good friends, but at what point do you say " wait a minute, this is a business not a charity" ...... I'm just not sure how to go about this. I won't even be taking vacation while their daughter is in my care...she's only here till Feb!
As a parent, I would ABSOLUTELY want to pay my provider-friend those "extras" because I am getting the assurance that my friend is caring for my child.....can't get better than that other than leaving your child with family...kwim?

NO WAY would I waive policies rules for a friend...especially a temporary one.

As a matter of fact, I'd be a little upset that they even asked me considering you are offering them something most families don't get.
NeedaVaca 10:29 AM 09-03-2013
No way would I change my policies! I would be insulted that a "friend" would ask me to do that...please stick to your policies
MamaBearCanada 10:30 AM 09-03-2013
"Sally my contract is non-negotiable. No hard feelings if you need to find somewhere else for Susie. I'd absolutely love to take her but if those things are deal breakers this isn't the right fit for you."

If you compromise you'll end up resentful. Also, if you change one policy be prepared for them to challenge all your policies that don't work for them.

I didn't have time for... But you don't mind feeding/dressing/bathing do you?

She's only a little sick and I knew as a friend you'd understand...

You don't kind if I pay you on xday instead do you?

I might be a little bit late getting Susie. Can you watch her an extra hour as a favor?
Familycare71 10:42 AM 09-03-2013
Wow! I would be so mad if someone tried this- especially a friend!!! I agree with other posters- please don't change a thing! I also like putting it back to her- hope this all works out ok for you!!!
snbauser 10:59 AM 09-03-2013
I completely agree with all the pp. I would say that in order for you to be able to care for her, then it needs to be by the business and those rules are the same for all.
Memc2001 11:02 AM 09-03-2013

NO CONTRACT, NO CARE. You should tell her to go somewhere else if you want to keep her as a friend. I have lost (and gained) friendships over the years watching friend's kids. I don't do it anymore.
Laurel 11:38 AM 09-03-2013

"I'd love to watch little Sally but I have never changed a contract for anyone. Sorry. All the daycares I know of around here charge for these days the same as I do. If you'd rather look around instead of making a decision right now, my feelings won't be hurt if you find something that you feel more comfortable with."

Laurel
MyAngels 11:44 AM 09-03-2013
I suppose you could charge her a drop-in rate that's significantly higher than your normal daily rate . If I even did drop-in care (I don't) I'd charge double my normal rate.

Personally, when it comes to pay, it's my way or the highway around here .
e.j. 11:52 AM 09-03-2013
I agree with everyone else. If your policies conflict with what she wants, she needs to look elsewhere. Someone's not going to be happy in this situation. It might as well be her!
julie 12:38 PM 09-03-2013
A true friend would value the policies you've set and respect your business.

Therefore, I'd probably tell her that it probably is best to keep business and friendship separate as you treat all your clients the same way and cannot change policies for certain clients. I wouldn't care for her kid now.

If she has the guile to ask this of you, then she is not valuing the favor you are doing for her.
Leigh 01:46 PM 09-03-2013

Quite simply say "I'm sorry, but I can't do that. If it's in my contract, it's non-negotiable. I have to treat the space the same no matter who fills it. This is my livelihood, and I can't afford to discount any more than I already have.". If they choose to go elsewhere, let them walk.
Emsdayhome 02:30 PM 09-03-2013
wow thanks so much for all the responses everyone! unfortunately.....I caved under pressure. I did up her rate a tad though, and told her that if she can't make that adjustment, then it just won't work out. I also told her that some of the policies she's arguing, CANNOT be changed and I won't change them even for her, so if she wants to pick another daycare (*she told me she had received notice that her spot in xyz daycare was available at a much higher rate) . I told her what xyz will expect as it's a centre, vs. my home and that their rates are much higher than mine (almost double) so if she can't afford me...she certainly can't afford them, but it's up to her in the end.

Wish I had seen all your wonderful responses FIRST! lol. I'll just fill her full time spot as soon as I can...with my policies in place.
littlemissmuffet 04:05 PM 09-03-2013
The first rule in my daycare is no friends, no family... no exceptions.

The second rule is NO DISRESPECT toward me, my family or my home. To me your friend was extremely disrespectful in asking you to make chages to your business for her - especially when she's only considering being a temporary client. RUDE! I would have said "Sorry Jane, this is MY business is this is how I operate MY business. My policies are non-negotiable and the fact you even questioned my policies (and obviously don't feel I'm entitled to paid holidays) shows me this won't work. Good luck in your continued search." I wouldn't even have given her a second chance!
Leigh 04:56 PM 09-03-2013
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
The first rule in my daycare is no friends, no family... no exceptions.

The second rule is NO DISRESPECT toward me, my family or my home. To me your friend was extremely disrespectful in asking you to make chages to your business for her - especially when she's only considering being a temporary client. RUDE! I would have said "Sorry Jane, this is MY business is this is how I operate MY business. My policies are non-negotiable and the fact you even questioned my policies (and obviously don't feel I'm entitled to paid holidays) shows me this won't work. Good luck in your continued search." I wouldn't even have given her a second chance!
I agree that friends/family and daycare don't mix well. I DO provide care for a friend's child occasionally (during daycare hours), but I do NOT charge her for it. A friend doing a favor-no problems. A friend you do business with-big problems.
Starburst 05:27 PM 09-03-2013
After that I would tell her that the only thing in my policies that is going to change would be "I do not provide child care for the children of my friends and family".
Familycare71 06:59 PM 09-03-2013
Originally Posted by Starburst:
After that I would tell her that the only thing in my policies that is going to change would be "I do not provide child care for the children of my friends and family".

JoseyJo 07:05 PM 09-03-2013
Originally Posted by starburst:
after that i would tell her that the only thing in my policies that is going to change would be "i do not provide child care for the children of my friends and family".
lol!!
TheGoodLife 09:35 PM 09-03-2013
wow thanks so much for all the responses everyone! unfortunately.....I caved under pressure. I did up her rate a tad though, and told her that if she can't make that adjustment, then it just won't work out. I also told her that some of the policies she's arguing, CANNOT be changed and I won't change them even for her, so if she wants to pick another daycare (*she told me she had received notice that her spot in xyz daycare was available at a much higher rate) . I told her what xyz will expect as it's a centre, vs. my home and that their rates are much higher than mine (almost double) so if she can't afford me...she certainly can't afford them, but it's up to her in the end.

Wish I had seen all your wonderful responses FIRST! lol. I'll just fill her full time spot as soon as I can...with my policies in place.
Honestly, it's never too late. I wold just contact her tomorrow and say something along the lines of, "I'm sorry, but after thinking about the situation we discussed yesterday, I realized that I cannot break my contract's policies for one family without being unfair to everyone else. I value our friendship, but my business is a business and I have policies that everyone must adhere to. While I would love to watch Susie for you, I understand if you want to take her to XYZ daycare, but please let me know your decision by Monday (or another date) so I know whether or not I can offer it to the next person in line. Thanks!"
Why should YOU lose out on money to help a friend? Shouldn't SHE be giving you at least what people who are not your "friends" give you to care for their children? Would you expect her to give you money if you wanted/needed it? That is essentially what she is asking of you when she asks to break your policies and not charge her for what you are entitled to by your contract. You should not be in a position to lose your hard-earned salary just to give your friend a break!
Play Care 03:18 AM 09-04-2013
Originally Posted by Mama2Bella:
Honestly, it's never too late. I wold just contact her tomorrow and say something along the lines of, "I'm sorry, but after thinking about the situation we discussed yesterday, I realized that I cannot break my contract's policies for one family without being unfair to everyone else. I value our friendship, but my business is a business and I have policies that everyone must adhere to. While I would love to watch Susie for you, I understand if you want to take her to XYZ daycare, but please let me know your decision by Monday (or another date) so I know whether or not I can offer it to the next person in line. Thanks!"
Why should YOU lose out on money to help a friend? Shouldn't SHE be giving you at least what people who are not your "friends" give you to care for their children? Would you expect her to give you money if you wanted/needed it? That is essentially what she is asking of you when she asks to break your policies and not charge her for what you are entitled to by your contract. You should not be in a position to lose your hard-earned salary just to give your friend a break!

One of the things that I'm trying to work on is to not say yes or no to a client but give it a day or two to think about it. There is nothing wrong with telling them "I need to think about that, let me get back to you" and then make them wait a couple of days.
I also don't think there is anything wrong with changing your mind. A few years ago when I was starting out I interviewed a woman who essentially wanted to tell me how I was going to do things for her. I took her deposit and then was just so torn up about it for days. After a lot of thinking I called her up, told her I didn't think we would be a good fit and sent her the deposit back. Yes it was uncomfortable and thankfully there was no other connection for me to have to deal with but we do live in a small town and I have seen her around. But I wound up getting two other clients who were AWESOME and I was so glad I didn't take her on!
Leigh 10:13 AM 09-04-2013
Good advice above. I tell acquaintances who ask me to watch their kids (for backup care) that my license depends on me charging everyone the same. If I were to discount $1 per hour for one kid, I'd HAVE to do it for all, and I can't afford to do so. For truly CLOSE friends, I watch their kids for free if I have the space-they're always more than willing to pay me back in favors when I need one!
Denise 04:59 PM 09-07-2013
Something else to consider .. her 4 months may very well turn into full time permanent ... if you changed your policies for her, then what?

She was probably a very supportive friend while she wasn't a client and now that she could be, she wants the rules changed? Nuh uh.

Stick to your guns girl.
Laurel 05:21 PM 09-07-2013

Exactly!!!

Laurel
Laurel 05:22 PM 09-07-2013
Originally Posted by Play Care:

One of the things that I'm trying to work on is to not say yes or no to a client but give it a day or two to think about it. There is nothing wrong with telling them "I need to think about that, let me get back to you" and then make them wait a couple of days.
I also don't think there is anything wrong with changing your mind. A few years ago when I was starting out I interviewed a woman who essentially wanted to tell me how I was going to do things for her. I took her deposit and then was just so torn up about it for days. After a lot of thinking I called her up, told her I didn't think we would be a good fit and sent her the deposit back. Yes it was uncomfortable and thankfully there was no other connection for me to have to deal with but we do live in a small town and I have seen her around. But I wound up getting two other clients who were AWESOME and I was so glad I didn't take her on!

Laurel
Tags:policies
Reply Up