Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>After Hours Do Not Disturb
Unregistered 05:50 PM 03-22-2018
Do any of you use the automatic reply feature (do not disturb) on your phone. I have had SO many after hour texts from a couple moms that are really getting on my nerves. Tonight: 8:44pm. “How did Johnny (age 11 mo) do with the extra 1 oz of breast milk I sent today? Seriously, Mom? That warranted an after hour text?
Different mom- 7:15 pm. “I think I left Sally’s paci (14 mo) at your house”. No, mom-it was in my driveway. Another parent found it Again? An after hour text was warranted? I find it hard to believe you only own ONE paci....
I’ve just kinda gotten fed up with parents demanding my attention for stupid stuff after hours. It’s not like they are asking if I remembered to give their child their heart medication or something life altering.
Unregistered 05:52 PM 03-22-2018
And here is another-came through as I typed the previous post—different family yet again- 8:52pm. “is it ok if I pack a lunch and send with Charlie tomorrow? His sister is taking her lunch to school and really wants to bring his to your house “. Im gonna lose it!!!
MomBoss 06:23 PM 03-22-2018
I got one once "what did jane have for snack today? Shes trying to tell me but i cant undersrand what shes saying"
......................really? Why was that so important to know.
storybookending 06:42 PM 03-22-2018
I have seen providers on here state they put in their contracts that there will be no correspondence after closing time and that they reply in the morning, if at all. I might adopt this in the future if I ever am in the position where I would have to take on a client I do not have a previous personal relationship with. Right now as a rule I only take on families that I know personally before hand or know someone that I know personally really really well to where I trust their judgement. Perks of doing daycare in a small town. This kind of stuff was the stuff that I hated growing up. You couldn’t do anything without someone you know getting word back to parents, teachers etc.. but I kind of love it now.

Heck one of my daycare moms just left my house and it’s 8:30PM. She’s been here since 5:17 as she was parked down the block, watched her husband pick up her child and drive away before pulling into my yard so the child wouldn’t see her and get confused. My other moms I am not as close with but will occasionally send an after hours text but it’s always for something important like “Johnny is puking, won’t be there tomorrow” or last night I got a “SA kids have early dismissal later this week that I forgot about can I drop Sally off a little after noon and pick her up when I come to get Billy” sort of thing. I am also single and live alone so dcps texting and messing up family time isn’t an issue for me.

If it is getting to the point where it is bothering you you can implement a new policy that all texts sent after closing time will not be replied to until the morning.
KSDC 06:45 PM 03-22-2018
I don't mind the texts. I answer, or not, as I have time and inclination. My parents know that if they text after hours, not to expect a quick response. And, I would much rather a quick text than to have to deal with a phone call!

Honestly, I prefer texts for communications about things that I need to know. Like Susie won't be here Friday or I need to pick up early Wednesday. That way I have it in writing and don't have to rely on my memory of a conversation at pick up.
kendallina 07:17 PM 03-22-2018
I typically respond to texts (not always, though because sometimes my phone is dead and I don't realize it!). But, I don't get crazy texts like those either. I get the, "Johnny will be late for a doctor's appt tomorrow" kind of texts.

I just wouldn't respond to a single one of the ones that you received.
amberrose3dg 04:13 AM 03-23-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Do any of you use the automatic reply feature (do not disturb) on your phone. I have had SO many after hour texts from a couple moms that are really getting on my nerves. Tonight: 8:44pm. “How did Johnny (age 11 mo) do with the extra 1 oz of breast milk I sent today? Seriously, Mom? That warranted an after hour text?
Different mom- 7:15 pm. “I think I left Sally’s paci (14 mo) at your house”. No, mom-it was in my driveway. Another parent found it Again? An after hour text was warranted? I find it hard to believe you only own ONE paci....
I’ve just kinda gotten fed up with parents demanding my attention for stupid stuff after hours. It’s not like they are asking if I remembered to give their child their heart medication or something life altering.
Not that late would I respond. I have a separate phone for the business. I leave it in my office at night so I do not get disturbed with messages. I get up at 530am and will review them then. If you are texting to say you won't be here the next day fine. I will see it in the morning.
gumdrops 06:24 AM 03-23-2018
I have a mom who was constantly texting me anywhere from 10:30pm-1:00am. It was usually about schedule changes, sick kids, etc. Many times I was already sleeping and it woke me up. I now have the Do Not Disturb feature on my phone activated. I put all of my family in my "favorites" category, so their calls will still come through.
Blackcat31 06:28 AM 03-23-2018
I reply with the following text (copied/pasted as necessary):

"I am currently spending time with my family. Please contact me again during business hours if you need to discuss anything business related. Thank you!"

If they reply with something like "I know but I forgot to ask you X and I really need to know what you think...."

I reply again with the above text.

Rinse and repeat.

I also have a short "Reminder" notice that I will print off and hand out if it seems there is a time where more than one family forgets and texts after hours. The reminder notice says something along the lines of....

"REMINDER

Like all working parents quality time with family is very valuable but often times limited due to work obligations.

It's important that all clients be respectful of this and limit texts and phone calls to daytime or business hours ONLY.

Any texts or calls that are received after hours will not be accepted or replied to.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

~Provider who has a life and family outside of daycare"

Snowmom 06:58 AM 03-23-2018
I would reply.

At 4am.

Twice.
Ac114 07:50 AM 03-23-2018
Originally Posted by snowmom:
i would reply.

At 4am.

Twice.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Blackcat31 07:55 AM 03-23-2018
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
I would reply.

At 4am.

Twice.
To a family that absolutely just doesn't "get it" I would do the same in a heart beat but in all honesty I've noticed that this generation of parents (not all) simply has no concept of boundaries when it comes to texting etc... not based on rudeness or disrespect for the provider but simply because it's just the technological world they live in....everything is instant gratification.

Cellular lines and the world wide web don't have business hours...they are simply there 24 hours a day.
hwichlaz 09:00 AM 03-23-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
To a family that absolutely just doesn't "get it" I would do the same in a heart beat but in all honesty I've noticed that this generation of parents (not all) simply has no concept of boundaries when it comes to texting etc... not based on rudeness or disrespect for the provider but simply because it's just the technological world they live in....everything is instant gratification.

Cellular lines and the world wide web don't have business hours...they are simply there 24 hours a day.
I think most people put their phone on silent at bedtime too...so a late text wouldn't bother them at all, because they wouldn't see it until morning.
Ariana 09:17 AM 03-23-2018
Originally Posted by KSDC:
I don't mind the texts. I answer, or not, as I have time and inclination. My parents know that if they text after hours, not to expect a quick response. And, I would much rather a quick text than to have to deal with a phone call!

Honestly, I prefer texts for communications about things that I need to know. Like Susie won't be here Friday or I need to pick up early Wednesday. That way I have it in writing and don't have to rely on my memory of a conversation at pick up.
Agree! I also like texts and I answer or not because a lot of the time my phone is on silent so parents know I may not answer them. Sometimes they text about urgent things like a snowsuit being left here accidentally on a Friday type of thing.
Tin Blues 09:54 AM 03-23-2018
I’ve never given my parents my cell phone number. We are required to have a landline in my state. I use that for all phone communication with parents. I tell them the hours to expect calls from me and when they should call me. In 8 years I’ve only had one person call past 9pm.
lovemykidstoo 06:18 PM 03-24-2018
I don't get alot of texts but sometimes I do. If it's a really dumb one like the ones you mention OP, then I would just ignore totally. I have gotten a couple ridiculous ones similar to those and I ignore and the next day when they come I just tell them I didn't notice it or have the phone turned on. Sorry.
Unregistered 06:08 AM 03-25-2018
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
I think most people put their phone on silent at bedtime too...so a late text wouldn't bother them at all, because they wouldn't see it until morning.
This isn’t an option for me. My dad is 80 and still lives in his home. If he needs help or something i am the closest and need to be able to respond to his call for help
Unregistered 10:28 AM 03-25-2018
This isn’t an option for me. My dad is 80 and still lives in his home. If he needs help or something i am the closest and need to be able to respond to his call for help
I've heard some phones let you put in certain numbers that will still ring when the phone in on silent.
jenboo 06:18 PM 03-25-2018
I used a Google voice number. I give the parents that number. It's all forwarded to my cell phone. I can set a do not disturb message with the Google voice number and my regular cell phone number still functions the same.
LittleScholars 08:50 AM 03-26-2018
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I used a Google voice number. I give the parents that number. It's all forwarded to my cell phone. I can set a do not disturb message with the Google voice number and my regular cell phone number still functions the same.
I do this for our rental properties and in the future will do this for parents. I love this option.

And for what it is worth, I'm super happy to ignore parents without a response at all. Sometimes I can respond to a quick text and sometimes I can't (and that reason may simply be because I'm cuddling my baby). My feeling is that if there is an urgent matter someone should call, and nothing has ever warranted a call.
AmyKidsCo 01:02 PM 03-26-2018
I don't set a Do Not Disturb because I want my family to be able to reach me if they need to.

I just don't reply if I don't feel like it. My policies state "Please be aware that even though I do check email and texts in the evenings, weekends, and other times I am not working, I may not be able to respond." So if anyone complains I can just point to my policies.
meganyoon 07:15 AM 01-29-2019
I would suggest putting something in writing that states you will not respond to after-hours correspondence.

In my facility, I do not mind parents checking in and asking questions during after-hours. I prefer that parents discuss issues or concerns with me after-hours, rather than during business hours, as I devote all of this time to the children. However, I do keep most conversations to a minimum after-hours, and my parents know that I usually do not answer correspondence that occurs after 8pm.

In regards to parents asking about what their child ate that day, I would suggest putting a menu up in your facility so that parents can know what their child is eating on a daily basis. You can refer parents back to that menu if they have any questions.
Ariana 10:50 AM 01-29-2019
Originally Posted by meganyoon:
I would suggest putting something in writing that states you will not respond to after-hours correspondence.

In my facility, I do not mind parents checking in and asking questions during after-hours. I prefer that parents discuss issues or concerns with me after-hours, rather than during business hours, as I devote all of this time to the children. However, I do keep most conversations to a minimum after-hours, and my parents know that I usually do not answer correspondence that occurs after 8pm.

In regards to parents asking about what their child ate that day, I would suggest putting a menu up in your facility so that parents can know what their child is eating on a daily basis. You can refer parents back to that menu if they have any questions.
I have a non stop texting parent and have a clear policy to only contact me outside of daycare hours to tell me about an absence the following day or the day of. She does not listen. I also tell all parents at pickup what we ate for lunch because when I posted menus I STILL got these questions from families. I have even said to them “did you see the menu I posted”? and got “oh yeah but I can’t remember what it said”.

Sometimes the logical solution doesn’t always work!
Tags:2018, after hours - showing up, interruptions
Reply Up