Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Tax Reform Bill
Vesta 02:03 PM 11-12-2017
I know it wouldn't effect this year, but does anyone have any insite as to if the changes being proposed for the tax overhaul will change our ability to deduct for our small business/self employment expenses?
The loss of deductions is just for personal not for self employment, right? Please tell me I'm right.
TomCopeland 03:33 PM 11-12-2017
Originally Posted by Vesta:
I know it wouldn't effect this year, but does anyone have any insite as to if the changes being proposed for the tax overhaul will change our ability to deduct for our small business/self employment expenses?
The loss of deductions is just for personal not for self employment, right? Please tell me I'm right.
I have not seen anything that would change what family child care providers can deduct as a business expense. When I know more what is being proposed, I'll be writing about it on my blog. So far, there are competing proposals that would affect everyone's personal taxes.
Vesta 07:18 PM 11-12-2017
Thank you for replying.
I'm just feeling kind of twitchy about it. I like to worry about things well in advance. It's super useful
Mom2Two 08:52 AM 11-13-2017
K. When will your blog piece be up, Tom? We got the following msg forwarded from NAEYC this morning about additional documentation required for the EITC. It's a bit baffling, because the IRS already requires tons of documentation.

What's at stake?

If this idea becomes law, family child care providers who claim the EITC will have to meet the additional burden of providing documents and records to substantiate their income from self-employment. Some family child care providers who are eligible to claim the EITC may have their claims reduced or denied if the records they produce do not satisfy IRS auditors. Even if they end up receiving the credit, their refund may be significantly delayed - both because their EITC claim involves IRS review of additional documentation, and because IRS agents will have to put more effort into processing EITC claims by other self-employed tax filers. This may result in families losing access to an important tax benefit that helps them make ends meet and support their children.

Sincerely,
Mary Beth and the NAFCC team
Mom2Two 08:58 AM 11-13-2017
We're getting a call to action from the NAEYC to call representatives, but it's not clear in their email what the other documentation is, and how bad it would be. No details.
nanglgrl 02:04 PM 11-13-2017
From what I read it sounds like we might have to provide receipts, credit card statements, client list and when they used services with their contact info. This is only if claiming EIC.
TomCopeland 04:45 PM 11-14-2017
Originally Posted by Mom2Two:
K. When will your blog piece be up, Tom? We got the following msg forwarded from NAEYC this morning about additional documentation required for the EITC. It's a bit baffling, because the IRS already requires tons of documentation.

What's at stake?

If this idea becomes law, family child care providers who claim the EITC will have to meet the additional burden of providing documents and records to substantiate their income from self-employment. Some family child care providers who are eligible to claim the EITC may have their claims reduced or denied if the records they produce do not satisfy IRS auditors. Even if they end up receiving the credit, their refund may be significantly delayed - both because their EITC claim involves IRS review of additional documentation, and because IRS agents will have to put more effort into processing EITC claims by other self-employed tax filers. This may result in families losing access to an important tax benefit that helps them make ends meet and support their children.

Sincerely,
Mary Beth and the NAFCC team
The Senate and House tax bills are different so I'm waiting a little longer before discussing them. The change in the Earned Income Credit would be a big pain in the neck because it would require providers to show that they reported all their income if they are claiming this credit. Details have not been announced, and I'll write about this when we know more.
Tags:tax reform, taxes
Reply Up