View Poll Results: Ot-Starting to Gain weight since starting childcare
Staying The Same Weight 6 19.35%
Lost Weight 7 22.58%
Gained Weight 17 54.84%
Gained due to Pregnancy 1 3.23%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>OT-Gaining Weight Since Starting Childcare
Country Kids 07:47 AM 08-01-2012
Breezy's post made my mind start spinning.

I'm just curious (you don't need to post your weight) but how many of you have started steadily increasing in you weight since starting childcare?

Also, if you have any tips on how to get the pounds off please post!!!!
jojosmommy 08:05 AM 08-01-2012
I have had two kids while doing daycare, obviously gained while pregnant (usually about 20 lbs) and then lost it all soon after. I actually think this job keeps me very active. Daily walks with a 50+ lbs double stroller, stairs up and down and up and down and... well you get the point.

I think weight creeps up as everyone ages. Plus our processed foods are terrible now so its harder to stay healthy. JMO but I think those are contributing factors more than the job.
Blackcat31 08:10 AM 08-01-2012
I have been doing this job for two decades so I think it is fair to say that my job is NOT the biggest influence in my weight gain and/or loss over the years.

I have actually lost weight though as I have learned (as I age) to eat healthier and not simply live on Doritos and Coke and will actually eat meals now.

I also have to contribute my better health (and weight) to my DH getting diabetes. Since he got diabetes 5 years ago, we have all lost weight, and gotten much healthier.

Being healthy and losing weight isn't a temporary thing but a complete life style change.

There are so many things that contribute to weight gain, such age, pregnancies, sleep, diet and exercise that it is impossible IMPO, to simply place the blame on child care or any one thing for that matter.
Zoe 10:28 AM 08-01-2012
I've noticed that over the winters I gain weight and have a hard time getting rid of it. When we don't get out and get active, all I can really do is sit around and I'm sure that's a big part of my weight gain.

I started eating healthier, lessened my sugar/pop intake, and bought a Zumba workout Wii game. My biggest problem is my motivation to actually exercise. I HATE it! But I know it needs to be done if I want my body back, so I'm going to keep trying!
Crazy8 10:30 AM 08-01-2012
I voted "gained" because that is where I'm at now but I have also lost weight while doing daycare too - so I can't blame the job really. I did Weight Watchers and lost 30 lbs. while doing daycare. I wish I could get myself there again!!
kayla 10:32 AM 08-01-2012
I feel this job helps me lose weight. Always moving, also I know I lost weight when I would eat 3 meals and have healthy snacks throughout the day. You have to eat to keep your metabolism going if your starving yourself when you do eat your body thinks your starving so it stores the fat. Everytime I need to lose a few pounds I quit drinking soda and the pounds fall off... I think I also credit not eating anything after dinner and not eating after 6:30
mema 10:34 AM 08-01-2012
Since my early 20's (I'm now in my early 30's) I have stayed the same pretty much between 110-120, other than pregnancy. I'm not sure what to attribute it to other than a great metabolism I guess. Not sure how that happened with my lack of food during jr high, high school, and early college. I figured that I had really done a number on that, but I guess not. I use to eat a lot of junk when I did eat, which wasn't often.

Over the last 5 years I have gotten better and we eat pretty healthy. We do eat out on occasion and we do have prepackaged foods sometimes too, but overall we eat 100 times better than I did 10 years ago. When the kids were little, dh worked 2nd shift and I didn't eat much, so it was easier for me to just pop a few nuggets in the oven. We have always eaten fresh fruits/veggies. It was always that "main" portion of the meal that I dreaded cooking.
justgettingstarted 10:37 AM 08-01-2012
I've been doing daycare almost a year now and have slowly lost about 15 pounds. I went from sitting in a cube all day to running after and lifting kids so I'm much more active. I also used to work with my husband and some good friends so the highlight of everyday was picking which restaurant we were going to for lunch. Now I'm forced to eat at home (we also save a lot of money now too). I wanted to lose a few more pounds before getting pregnant so I started giving wagon rides around the backyard, it's a real workout!
DBug 11:29 AM 08-01-2012
I've gained . I went from being a SAHM to doing daycare. I used to be out so much more (most of the day) when it was just my own kids. Now I spend 2-4 hours outside with the dc kids every day, but it's mostly watching them play, walking at their speed, and pushing kids on swings occasionally -- not exactly major calorie burners. And if I'm having a rough day, being close to home means I'm more likely to stress-eat (trying to break that habit!).

I haven't gained much in the grand scheme of things, but I'm short and it really shows! For the longest time I was doing 30 minutes on the elliptical every morning, but it wasn't doing any good at all . I gave it up in favour of sleep, and I feel ALOT better! I just have to work on the food side of things.

That all said, we do try to spend our weekends doing somewhat active things: hiking, caving, swimming, etc. so I guess that helps a bit.

On of the main reasons I'm looking forward to giving up daycare eventually is so that I can get back down to my ideal weight.
kayla 12:24 PM 08-01-2012
I have noticed if I don't buy junk food I don't eat it, and overall it's made my family a little healthier in the process... I found myself eating before out of boredom I didn't even know what it felt like to be hungry.... I was just eating because I was bored, stressed, or emotional eating...
spud912 02:30 PM 08-01-2012
I started daycare 6 weeks after having my second dd, so I was still losing pregnancy weight. I had gained 50 pounds during pregnancy and had only lost ~20 pounds when I started. I ended up losing 65 pounds in all (so I was 15 pounds lighter than before my pregnancy). I ended up gaining the 10 pounds back, though .

I did it via Weight Watchers. As long as you follow the directions, it's fail-proof (in my opinion).
Country Kids 02:34 PM 08-01-2012
Wow, I'm surprised really how many people gained weight since starting childcare. So even though we are active throughout the day it makes me wonder why we don't lose weight. We must not actually be active enough to be burning calories?
saved4always 02:42 PM 08-01-2012
I answered "stayed the same". But I actually lost weight since I started...not because of the daycare, but because, when my youngest was 3 yo (10 now), I decided it was time to lose the baby weight. Since I lost that 50 pounds, I have pretty much stayed the same weight but only because I am careful about what I eat and how much and I make excercising a priority.

I actually expect that I might have to not worry as much about maintaining my weight now that I am at the center at my church....I seem to be much more active there than I was at home. I am with only toddlers and they keep me on my toes for sure.
Hunni Bee 02:48 PM 08-01-2012
I have definitely gained weight since I started, and I have to say probably 90% of it is due to stress. I am very active at work, I usually am not sitting down unless Im in the restroom lol, and I walk alot.because I dont have a car.

I was size 4 when I started, now Im at an 8. Hopefully when I leave this stressful environment I'm in I'll start to lose some pounds.
Country Kids 02:54 PM 08-01-2012
I get what your saying about the stress Hunni Bee. Two years ago, I was a size 6, now I'm a size 12!

I can tell you my doctor has even talked to me about not doing childcare because of the stress. My dentist to has said I must be under alot of stress because nothing has changed in my eating but my last appt. wasn't to hot.
daycarediva 03:55 PM 08-01-2012
I said lost, although it fluctuates because of winter 'padding'. I weigh 120-125 now (I'm 5'1" so it's average) and last winter I weighed 130 right after New Years. I am on my feet 16+ hours a day, chasing my four kids and all 7 of my daycare kids. I rarely sit. I bought the step2 choo choo wagon, and that thing is HEAVY! I pull the kids to the library 2x a week and back (6 miles total) and to the playground that is further away from me (2 miles total) once a week. I have calves of steel! haha
JeepGirl6 04:15 PM 08-01-2012
I gained weight in the 3.5 half years I have been doing this...BUT I am getting married in 3 months so I have been watching what I have been eating and exercising since January and have lost 23 lbs, still have another 30 to go hopefully by the wedding...www.myfitnesspal.com is a GREAT website and helps a lot with motivation, thats how I got started Any of you that want to join, just send me a private message and I will add you and we can support each other
AnneCordelia 04:40 PM 08-01-2012
I have lost weight since starting childcare.

Previously I worked in an office, sat at a desk and ate crap from the cafeteria. I was a size14.

Starting daycare for me coincided with my oldest child starting school and having to walk the school run twice a day. I wish my quint stroller 3 miles daily to the school as well as an outing every day that weather cooperates. We go to the zoo (1/4mile away, can hear the lion from my yard), library, drop in center, parks, etc. I also no longer eat cafeteria crap but the high quality fruits and veggies I feed the kids. I lost 40lbs and am now a size 4.

I worry for the day I stop daycare and perhaps get another desk job. Doing daycare has made me very active.
Reply Up