Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Big Repairs Due to Daycare...
daycarediva 10:54 AM 08-10-2015
What have you had to fix/replace that was a larger than expected expense?

Prior to today, I had a SA child attempt to flush an unwanted snack (PLUM) down the toilet. When it backed up, she didn't say anything and the water leaked through the bathroom floor. It was a GIGANTIC mess. Dh ended up ripping up the subfloor in the bathroom, and the ceiling in the basement had to be replaced. Dcm did offer to pay for any and all repairs, and we ended up charging her for materials only.

Today I had a dck go to the kitchen returning his lunch plate. They are supposed to place them on the counter as they are excused. I scrape them into the garbage disposal, rinse them and load the dishwasher.

Well he ran past the counter and toward the trash can, he tripped on my open dishwasher and broke the door OFF. The hinges are in pieces. Dh is LIVID. My homeowners would cover it, but with a $500 deductible, what's the point? RIP dishwasher.
daycare 11:00 AM 08-10-2015
ugh..... I have had the toilet fix too at the cost of $800

Broken brand new double pain window at $500

I think this is one of those things that just come with part of our business..............one of the parts I really dislike.
Josiegirl 11:04 AM 08-10-2015
Oh wow, nothing that extensive!
I've had a hole punched in the living room wall. Twice.
And I currently have a hole in the kitchen wall made by someone.
I've had the baby gate broken off so many times, to the point of giving up and not using right now. I had the cupboard door broken off my tv cabinet.
But as I said, all those things are minor compared to yours. Oh and I have preached to my 6 yo dck about NO JUMPING on the couch cause she has caused one of the 2 pillows to come torn 3/4s of the way off the back.
I also had a toddler break a handmade pottery dish my sister had given me for Christmas.
Part of the job. Unfortunately.
crazydaycarelady 11:05 AM 08-10-2015
Sprinkler heads every freaking year! Our cars that they have ran into. Toilet that dcb flushed baby wipes down.
Josiegirl 11:05 AM 08-10-2015
Oh yeh, forgot about 2 windows broken by dcks.
midaycare 11:11 AM 08-10-2015
We will have to have our carpet replaced with flooring. That will be $8000-$12,000. Dck's have wrecked the carpet. The daycare isn't upstairs, but the kitchen table is. Smashed berries...are the worst!
finsup 11:15 AM 08-10-2015
Child took a PLASTIC hammered and shattered a large upstairs window. Cost a couple hundred to replace (thankfully my husband could do the install himself). Luckily no one was hurt and we have a much safer, new window but still. I had no idea te glass was that weak!
DaveA 11:16 AM 08-10-2015
One $450 dollar window repair. Aside from that it's been stuff I can handle myself: drywall dents/holes, screen door screen replacement, new mailbox after DCP ran over it pulling into driveway......
e.j. 11:25 AM 08-10-2015
One dcb ruined a kitchen table by sticking his fork into it each time he sat down for a meal and another child ripped a hole in my brand new screen door. Other than that, I've been pretty lucky.
AuntTami 11:56 AM 08-10-2015
HOLY COW!!!!' Apparently I've had good luck! The only thing we've had to repair/replace so far is the screen to our front screen door. I had the window in it open and someone stuck their hand right through the screen.

Other than that?!.......... *knocks on wood*
Controlled Chaos 12:08 PM 08-10-2015
I just had a dcb4 break my little tikes slide/teeter totter toy. I am sorta pissed because he broke one handle off the teeter totter a few months ago (he kicked it hard on purpose ), it took him a month to earn back privileges outside, I had to order a new piece from the company and replace it then yesterday he broke the same piece again . I just got a letter that my outdoor space will be inspected in the next 2 weeks and I had a broken major toy. I put a garbage bag over the seat, while I figure out whether they will send me a replacement piece or if I need to replace the whole play structure...I will be super pissed if it is counted as an infraction

Other than that - the nice thing about having a separate daycare space is for the most part they can't access large things to break. Your toilet stories make me nervous though!
Blackcat31 12:23 PM 08-10-2015
I can't even answer this question as I own an entire house just for daycare and the maintain and upkeep on it can sometimes be a full time job for my hubby.

I've had a few minor things need replacing but I think the biggest intentional thing I've had to replace was our air conditioner. One of my older SA kids ruined the back of it by shoving sticks and rocks inside.

It was a whole house air conditioner that cost $500-$700 to replace.

It was one of a dozen or more things he intentionally ruined and one the reasons I no longer accept school aged kids anymore.

DaycareDiva....I am sorry to hear about your dishwasher.
I think the DCK that broke it should be on dishes duty for the next few weeks and do all the dished by hand.
Play Care 12:45 PM 08-10-2015
I'm sure at one point we will have to rip out our half bath and build again because of all the potty training and BOYS I've had in day care

(side note, if I hear "but my penis is too big to hold!" one more time... )

I don't mind normal wear and tear, but am getting tired of things being broken by deliberate disobedience, especially by the older kids. And frankly, I'm getting really tired of taking it on the chin, when you know darn well if they behaved that way at school and broke something, the school would be holding the parents responsible - even if it didn't happen under the parents watch.

Hugs Diva, feeling your pain.
spud912 01:03 PM 08-10-2015
Wow these are all horrible and make me anxious! I would say the worst things I've had go wrong are:
  1. My dd rubbed a metal fork into our new dining table (during daycare) and made huge, very noticeable, scratches.
  2. All of the upholstery on our new (at the time) dining room chairs have been ripped to shreds.
  3. A lot of dings on the walls we have had to patch up.
  4. Our last house (a rental) had wood flooring that was in terrible condition when we moved in. It was made worse with daycare (lots of scratches, actual chipped pieces from putting "roads" down with masking tape, etc). The landlord acknowledged it was bad beforehand so we luckily did not get charged for any damages.

All of the above was not necessarily on purpose (except for what my dd did). I've had a ton of toys that were broken due to misuse by the daycare kids. Ugh...this thread makes me feel like it's only a matter of time!

Did any of you require the families to pay for the damages?
Blackcat31 01:05 PM 08-10-2015
Originally Posted by spud912:

Did any of you require the families to pay for the damages?
I did not. I felt it fell under "my watch, my issue"

However, there are circumstances in which I do feel a provider should be allowed to charge parents... I can't think of any specific instances off hand but I know I've heard a few where it was simply down right deliberate and would have happened with or without someone right there.
Play Care 01:18 PM 08-10-2015
The one time I had a parent pay for something was when I'd been having issues with a child and deliberate disobedience. In this particular case I'd just reminded him not to smash something and was walking towards him to "assist" him in making a good decision when he broke the item. Not a major one but more to make the point. In this case because I saw what happened, was intervening when it happened and know it did not happen due to normal wear and tear, I had the parents pay.

But typically I chalk it up to wear and tear.

Though as my own kids are getting older and no longer at the age where it could just as easily be them making the mess/causing the damage, I find my patience for it wearing thin.
spud912 01:26 PM 08-10-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I did not. I felt it fell under "my watch, my issue"

However, there are circumstances in which I do feel a provider should be allowed to charge parents... I can't think of any specific instances off hand but I know I've heard a few where it was simply down right deliberate and would have happened with or without someone right there.
That's always been my thought on having items replaced. I only ask because I've been getting a lot of library books lately and the kids were really abusing them (standing on them, sliding them around on the floors, ripping the pages). It wasn't an act of spite or an attempt to purposely damage them, but more along the lines of not using them correctly and carefully. I was really upset after taping the same library book the third time and banned the biggest culprits from looking at any books for a period of 2 weeks. I also supervise reading time more closely and ensure they are not laying books out on the floor. I always thought of it as my problem with not being clear enough about the expectations and doling out consequences. Apparently one of the kiddos told her mom about getting in trouble for breaking a book and dcm had her pick out 2 of her books to bring in to me. It was a super nice gesture and I really appreciated the thoughtfulness of the dcm. Miraculously, I haven't had any more issues the past month with misuse of the books.
Blackcat31 01:55 PM 08-10-2015
That's always been my thought on having items replaced. I only ask because I've been getting a lot of library books lately and the kids were really abusing them (standing on them, sliding them around on the floors, ripping the pages). It wasn't an act of spite or an attempt to purposely damage them, but more along the lines of not using them correctly and carefully. I was really upset after taping the same library book the third time and banned the biggest culprits from looking at any books for a period of 2 weeks. I also supervise reading time more closely and ensure they are not laying books out on the floor. I always thought of it as my problem with not being clear enough about the expectations and doling out consequences. Apparently one of the kiddos told her mom about getting in trouble for breaking a book and dcm had her pick out 2 of her books to bring in to me. It was a super nice gesture and I really appreciated the thoughtfulness of the dcm. Miraculously, I haven't had any more issues the past month with misuse of the books.
That's the difference though....

The good parents will always offer to replace or help pay for a replacement etc...

The tough parents always point fingers and never towards themselves.

I have found it works best to just manage on my own. I know my DCK's and who will or wont be hard on something and if they are rough kids, they get the more durable items that I know can handle the "abuse" while the others have earned their right to play with the more delicate things.
Josiegirl 03:45 PM 08-10-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:

(side note, if I hear "but my penis is too big to hold!" one more time... )
Hahaha that's what they all say
AuntTami 04:07 PM 08-10-2015
This is exactly why I've removed all soft paged books for now. They will get them back when they learn to use them correctly. I've thrown away 3 board books and probably a dozen soft paged books In the last week because they're abusing them/standing on them etc.
For now, they're only getting the "baby" books- the really durable board books and the soft ones that aren't breakable. They'll get the other ones back when they show me they can use the other ones right.
nannyde 04:25 PM 08-10-2015
I had a daycare let my screen door loose in a wind storm right after I told her to hold onto the door. It busted the frame of the door.

I never allow kids in my kitchen or to flush a toilet. I cover the toilet floor with towels we pull and clean weekly.

Other than that just front door knobs and handles.

My staff assistants.... they do the most damage.
Baby Beluga 08:42 PM 08-10-2015
I had just had a new security door installed, the wind chain was the wrong kind for my door so the contractor was returning in a few days to install it. The day AFTER the door was installed DCD let DCB push the door open and it slammed into my wall and the doorknob made a hole in the stucco wall.
spud912 11:13 PM 08-10-2015
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
I had just had a new security door installed, the wind chain was the wrong kind for my door so the contractor was returning in a few days to install it. The day AFTER the door was installed DCD let DCB push the door open and it slammed into my wall and the doorknob made a hole in the stucco wall.
I have the same hole in the stucco . I'm pretty sure I may have been the culprit though
childcaremom 02:03 AM 08-11-2015
We replaced the screen in our front door about 5 times before it broke (the door, due to our own dks). We bought a new door with the screen on top. I am just waiting for a dcp to put their hand through it.

Our patio door needs to be replaced. Again, the screen in it countless times (we just bought a huge roll of screen, lol) but then I had a dck decide to charge the door and it bent the frame. The screen is done.

I guess in 3 years in this house that is pretty good.
Cozy_Kids_Childcare 09:31 AM 08-11-2015
I stop taking school age kids when one of them decided to pull the cords to my rear defroster off the window. I had a Jeep Commander and him and my son were sitting in the 3rd row waiting for the bus because it was raining. I noticed when I pulled back in the driveway that one of the cords were dangling. When they got home the boy admitted to it. His parents did nothing. He could do no wrong. At 8 years old he knew better. Same kid would put Legos in the humidifier. He also would throw a ball at the side of my deck till some of the side bars came off.
MarinaVanessa 12:35 PM 08-11-2015
My biggest expenses were my front screen doors (both the front screen door and the rear sliding screen leading to the back) because we kept having to replace them over and over again from the same kids hitting them and ripping the screens off or taking them completely off of the hinges. We ended up replacing the front door with a metal storm door which has been completely kid proof and has lasted us years so far. We replaced the back sliding door screen with pet proof screen material and so far so good. We don't have pets .

Hen I was taking care of my nephew he managed to clog my downstairs toilet SEVERAL times and water leaked THROUGH the drywall and into the kitchen on the other side of it. We replaced the drywall twice because of it and had to repaint etc. All because he used WAY too much toilet paper even when I reminded him that when he was done he needed to call me so that I could wipe him. I ended up taking the toilet paper out each time he had to go and made a "Only I can flush the toilet" rule for every kid after him. I still use this rule now and I haven't watched my nephew in over 2 years.
Tags:bathroom repairs, destructive behavior, plumber, repairs
Reply Up