Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Cell-Phones
Kenny 09:31 AM 11-01-2010
I have a 10 year old bringing her cell phone to daycare. would you allow it?
SilverSabre25 09:35 AM 11-01-2010
I would not. It would have to be turned off and in her backpack until pick-up.
DancingQueen 09:56 AM 11-01-2010
turned off and in bag til pick up - just like they are expected to do in school.
I can't believe I'm saying this but I guess I should put that in my new handbook
legomom922 10:03 AM 11-01-2010
I got my son his first cell when he was 10..My outlook may be different. I say let him have it. I gave one to my son to keep in contact with me, so to have him not be able to use it would defeat my purpose, and if it were me, and you were my dcp, I would be very upset that you didnt let him have it.
DancingQueen 10:10 AM 11-01-2010
Originally Posted by :
I got my son his first cell when he was 10..My outlook may be different. I say let him have it. I gave one to my son to keep in contact with me, so to have him not be able to use it would defeat my purpose, and if it were me, and you were my dcp, I would be very upset that you didnt let him have it.
Would you be upset with his teacher for not letting him have it out in class?

I'm not saying take them away - but I wouldn't want it out and being used during daycare unless there was an emergency.
newtodaycare22 10:11 AM 11-01-2010
I understand that parents get them so they can contact the kids...but the daycare has a phone, right? I don't think a parent should get mad because they can still contact them on the regular phone, just like everyone else.
Live and Learn 10:13 AM 11-01-2010
I provide care for mostly teachers so it makes sense to me to keep my rules in sync with the school's rules. I don't provide care to SA any more but if I did my policy would be the same as the school's policy which is phone turned off and in the backpack. I can see where a parent might like their child to have a phone for an emergency but I don't think that attending daycare is an emergency ......and everything besides an emergency can wait until the parent picks up. I can easily imagine this phone situation growing and becoming more than just checking in with mom (read constant texting and talking to friends on the phone rather than having REAL conversations face to face at daycare).
TGT09 10:30 AM 11-01-2010
I have a 7yo dcg with one and her 9yo brother has one as well. They bring them at random times but don't use them. They are for contacting their parents only. They have not tried to use them to call anyone but their parents otherwise I WOULD put a halt to that. I don't have a problem with them using them as long as it's not overused. I don't allow them to call their parents 15 times a day at work to ask them silly questions about going over to so and so's house at pick-up.

I have had older dck's be jealous that they have them but not in the "i'm going to steal it" type of way.
legomom922 10:31 AM 11-01-2010
Why should a child be kept away from talking to his friends just because he cant go home and has to go to after school care? I see nothing wrong with it what so ever. Kids talk on the ph! They need to be in contact with their friends, and a 10 yr is not a 3 yr old..

And yes, I also dont like the fact that they cannot use their ph in school during lunch or study halls...
misol 10:32 AM 11-01-2010
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I would not. It would have to be turned off and in her backpack until pick-up.

The same rules that apply to cell phones in our local school system would be the same rules that would apply to cell phones in my daycare - turned off, put away, and out of sight.

Be aware that most cell phones now have cameras and video cameras on them and some even have audio recording devices. If the child this young has a cell phone it would not surprise me that she has a facebook page or something similar. IMHO if you allow a dck to use a cell phone in your daycare, you need to also have some ground rules regarding its use so that it doesn't create a liability for your business.
[email protected] 10:40 AM 11-01-2010
we have the same rule as anything else,.. toys must be left at home, in backpack or can be shared on friday afternoons,.. if this mom has no problem allowing them to let the others play with it on fridays,.... then ok. If so it needs put up. If she needs him, or he her, they can use my phone. If a 10 yr old cant wait to talk to his or her friends for an hour after school,.. then they have outgrown my program.
BentleysBands 10:46 AM 11-01-2010
WOW at a 10yr old even having a cell....mine can't have one till 7th grade, period!

like PP said, if they need a phone and can't wait then they are too old for my daycare, also, why not just let him/her be home alone for the few mins ? same difference in a sense to me....

too many things happen with children and strangers,etc and a cell only increases possibilities IMO
TGT09 12:10 PM 11-01-2010
Originally Posted by legomom922:
Why should a child be kept away from talking to his friends just because he cant go home and has to go to after school care? I see nothing wrong with it what so ever. Kids talk on the ph! They need to be in contact with their friends, and a 10 yr is not a 3 yr old..

And yes, I also dont like the fact that they cannot use their ph in school during lunch or study halls...
Well for starters, my dck's are here for 45 minutes and have to eat snack and start their homework in that time. They don't exactly have TIME to talk to their friends. Those two things are much more important IMO!
MommyMuffin 12:19 PM 11-01-2010
Oh my gosh! I had never thought of a cell phone issue. I have no advice but I am even more glad that I chose not to have SA kids. I could never handle it!
SilverSabre25 12:35 PM 11-01-2010
IMO, if a parent wants to be able to contact their child while they're at daycare, they can call the house phone and talk to them on that.
legomom922 01:17 PM 11-01-2010
I haven't had a house phone in over 8 yrs...No need for one..So I dont want DC kids using my cell using up my minutes.
newtodaycare22 04:48 PM 11-01-2010
I haven't had a house phone in over 8 yrs...No need for one..So I dont want DC kids using my cell using up my minutes.
In MD, we have to have a house line in order to have a daycare. Interesting
TGT09 04:55 PM 11-01-2010
I have had a landline off and on over the years....I currently do not. HOWEVER, my dck's can always use my cell phone (and have).
legomom922 05:10 PM 11-01-2010
At .45 a minute for overages, I am not taking any chances! Besides that would be the day I let kids touch a $300 phone..
DancingQueen 05:17 PM 11-01-2010
In CT a landline is a requirement for a licensed provider.

Same rule for everything else- if you aren't going to share it with everyone - leave it at home. not sure mom wants to have her kid's cell phones shared with all the toddlers that drool... LOL

I'm just wondering how on earth children survived their horribly miserable lives prior to cell phones and electronics.
BentleysBands 05:51 PM 11-01-2010
ditto here, we must have a landline available at all times.
we have one but do not use, we use cells. our is all unlimited w/web,etc...i just dont understand why a child needs a cell phone to contact parents while at daycare...
My4SunshineGirlsNY 06:38 PM 11-01-2010
My daycare girl just turned 10 and had a cell phone here all through the summer...I had no issue with it as long as she didn't lose it and put it back in her bin when she was done. I have a small daycare so it's not really an issue for me.

I think it depends on the child too...if they are irrisponsible with it, I would never allow it here. My daycare girl is responsible with hers.
QualiTcare 08:11 PM 11-01-2010
i used to think kids having cell phones was stupid, but now my 6 year old and even my 4 year old take mine and play pac-man, brick buster, and watch cartoons on it when we're out. i don't see it being any different than a nintendo DS or a portable DVD player really.

but a kid having a cell phone in general and having one at daycare are different things. i think if there's a policy on game systems it would probably fall under that category IMO.

i do find it odd that people say, "schools don't allow it," but then other times it's, "well, this isn't school."

it's a personal choice what anyone decides, but comparing it to school isn't really the same.
nannyde 03:10 AM 11-03-2010
Originally Posted by newtodaycare22:
In MD, we have to have a house line in order to have a daycare. Interesting
Yes us too and it sucks... has to be a land line... the DHS publishes it now and NOW we get the added pleasure of constant telemarketers because it's a business and the "no call" doesn't work on business lines.

I'm to the point of just paying for it but keeping it disconnected and checking it every week or so.

It's 25 dollars a month and a huge waste of resources. I would rather have the extra 300 a year and buy a great toy for the kids.
AfterSchoolMom 03:48 AM 11-03-2010
A couple of mine have them. I get each parent's permission first. It doesn't bother me if they use them, as long as they aren't on them during homework time. I just make sure that the parents understand that I am NOT responsible for lost or damaged phones.
nannyde 04:36 AM 11-03-2010
One thing to think about is there is no end to parents giving kids cell phones. Within a few years there will be toddler/preschooler versions with knobby thick buttons and simple touch screens with cameras and voice recording.

The age that the child can "play talk" on the phone will be the lowest age it is marketed to.

The cell phone connection will be cheap and parents will want their kid to have this with them during day care.

I actually see this coming. Ten years ago the tought of having a ten year old have a cell phone would be rediculous. Now I am getting MY ten year old one for Christmas because it's such a cheap technology.

These will be marketed down to the absolute youngest that can press a button and look at a screen. We will have this come up for small children soon.

I don't allow any recording devices or insta parent devices so I won't be allowing it. I also don't allow any toys from home. The no toy rule will most likely not jive for the parents because they won't view this as a toy. The "everybody must share" any toys that come into the house won't work either as parents aren't going to view a cell phone with a monthly service plan as a toy.

I don't take care of school agers but I have actually had this happen with an occassional family I babysat for. Their four/five year old would only come to my house if he had a cell phone. It got turned off and put away every time.

He wanted it so Mom could tell me what he was going to do cuz him telling me what he was going to do wasn't working.

NO Cell phones.
missnikki 08:32 AM 11-03-2010
It's pretty simple for me, really. Cell phones can come, but if I see/ hear it, I'll be the one handing it back to the parent. Everyone knows I have a phone, so that's what we use.
This brings up another point- SA's and the internet- do you allow them to check email or 'surf the net'? To me, any connection to the outside world is unneccesary at that age, in daycare. At home, I let my 13yo surf (content filtered) at will, but if I found out the school let her I would not approve.
[email protected] 08:43 AM 11-03-2010
MissNikki,.. no they do not use the internet,... at any age here. My own kids do after hours. But we dont have a computer available to the daycare kids.
countrymom 11:04 AM 11-03-2010
no cell phones here, totally not neccessary and I don't care if they need contact with the real world. But I do allow the the sa who is 9 go on my computer but its centrally located so she goes on safe sites, basically same sites as my own kids go on. I, as of september am not providing care for any 10 yr olds and older so I don't have to worry about this anymore.
safechner 12:07 PM 11-03-2010
I wouldn't allowed cell phones in here but they can use my phone if it is necessary. It is my house, not theirs. It is simple as that.

It is not my business if the parents are giving their kids cell phones at younger ages. I wouldn't give my kids until 13 years old if they are enough responsibility. Sorry I am not going to spoil my kids. All parents are different, I guess.
Lucy 08:12 PM 11-03-2010
Summer before last I had 8, 9 and 10 yr olds (4 girls) who brought cell phones. I have no problem with it. Unless it were to start causing arguments or one of them wasn't paying attention to me talking because she was so into her phone. I don't feel I should regulate whether they SHOULD use a phone, or a DS, or something similar. I feel like my only responsibility is to whether it is causing problems at Daycare. If it's not, then go for it. It's the parents responsibility to decide whether it is appropriate for an 8 yr old to use one. If it were MY daughter, it wouldn't be appropriate. But again, not my decision.
Tags:cell phones
Reply Up