Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Child
Preschool/daycare teacher 01:11 PM 09-17-2015
I just had a meeting yesterday with a mom who has a 17 month old. The meeting went great! The mom asked me questions, wanted to clarify my policies (like "if she wakes up in the middle of the night and is sick, is it okay to just text you in the morning to say she's not coming, or do you want me to text during the night?"), she asked questions so she'd know if this was the right place for her child, she requested a (paid) trial day to see how she does, etc. The little girl is just as cute as can be. She had a few "throw myself down" fits while here, but she was so quiet about it and it was so fast that I'd think she fell over, so I think her "tantrums", if you can even call it that, will be easy enough to handle. Her mom acted like that was her standard fit, not much more. So everything seems to be the perfect fit for the family and myself.
But now I have a question, the girl seemed to have a fascination with the TV. It sits on a tv stand (which she kept wanting to climb, but it's low enough to the ground so I'm not worried about her safety). But my husband is afraid she might break the TV. Whether by hitting it with a toy and breaking the screen, or whatever, I'm not sure. Keep in mind, he's not exactly used to young children of her age Plus he has an x-box that he's worried about, which does not fit inside the tv stand. So what do you do to protect your TVs? Or has it been an issue for you? We cannot mount it on the wall because we live in an apartment and I don't think that's allowed. I've never had a child with a fixation on a tv (that is turned off) before. My husband says maybe I shouldn't take her. But I think there must be an easy fix, and it's just plain silly to not take a child just because they like the TV that is turned off
rosieteddy 01:15 PM 09-17-2015
Maybe you should get a cabinet .They make them with doors that close.It would hide all the tv and game equipment.Or not use that room.
Crystal 01:15 PM 09-17-2015
Would a folding divider screen work to hide it during the time she is there and then it can be folded and put away when the t.v. is in use? Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Legacy-Decor-4...divider+screen
Preschool/daycare teacher 01:37 PM 09-17-2015
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
Maybe you should get a cabinet .They make them with doors that close.It would hide all the tv and game equipment.Or not use that room.
Do they make cabinets big enough to fit a huge TV? It's like 60" I think. (My father in law gave it to us as a christmas/birthday/wedding gift lol, otherwise we'd never have been able to afford such a nice TV). I'd love a cabinet that would hide all that, if I can talk my husband into it, and if we can find a way to work it into the budget I can't exactly not use the room because the only entrance to our apartment is in the living room, so when she arrives and leaves she'd have to go through the living room. Also anytime we eat we have to walk through the living room to get to the kitchen, and I need them to play in the living room for a little while each day so I can keep an eye on them during meal prep. The only other room for them is the playroom and it's really small.
CoachingForQualityImprovement: that is a really good idea. If I can't talk him into a TV cabinet, maybe he'll splurge on a divider screen
Would a baby fence do any good, or do you think she'd just be able to knock it right over? I usually only take preschool age, but due to needing enrollment, I've had to lower my age.
littletots 01:41 PM 09-17-2015
I have glass doors on fireplace. Every under 3yr new child wants to bang on it. I do the Cesear Milan sheeeh sounds. Takes about a week for them to learn stay away.
LindseyA 02:05 PM 09-17-2015
Think about getting those extra long baby gate type deals to put infront of the the tv & stand. Granted that won't protect from toys flying through the air, but it will prevent the littles to even touch it.
daycare 02:05 PM 09-17-2015
dont have one...lol jk

I would try to hide it. maybe cover it with a blanket or such. out of sight out of mind. right?

I do have one, but it's up above the fireplace and we don't ever use it, so the kids think its a radio, we only play music on it.
Preschool/daycare teacher 04:51 PM 09-17-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
dont have one...lol jk

I would try to hide it. maybe cover it with a blanket or such. out of sight out of mind. right?

I do have one, but it's up above the fireplace and we don't ever use it, so the kids think its a radio, we only play music on it.
I'd be fine with not having a TV But my husband would have something else to say about that...

Thanks for the ideas everyone! They have definitely given me options to consider.
ChelseaB 06:09 PM 09-17-2015
Ours is mounted above our fireplace, so it isn't really a problem other than when someone attempts to throw something. However, there are some objects that are lower and within reach of the kids, but I try not to totally kid proof my home (legally unlicensed here, so no strict regulations at this time). IMO, it's important to teach the kids that although something may be tempting to play with, we do need to learn to not play with the things we aren't supposed to. Obviously, there is nothing harmful left out, more my belongings I'd rather display. However,maybe the first day or 2, I have to spend "ah-ahhing" and reiterating that we don't touch. They get it very quickly and now direct their entire focus on their toys and activities on occasion, there may be something I have to remove, but I always reintroduce it very quickly. Honestly, they lose interest eventually! Just keep teaching!
Thriftylady 06:45 PM 09-17-2015
Yes I would try to either do the out of side out of mind and block it with a room divider or something, or get one of those play yards to put around it.
Play Care 05:16 AM 09-18-2015
I would absolutely look into mounting the tv higher up on the wall and investing in a components cabinet that you can lock. If you plan to do this long term, heavy duty child proofing will minimize wear and tear on your home and decrease stress levels. My day is so much more relaxed when I'm not having to chase kids away from attractive hazards
Second Home 05:36 AM 09-18-2015
I would go with the play yard to surround the tv . You may also be able to use it later down the road for another child .
NoMoreJuice! 09:08 AM 09-18-2015
Maybe try redirecting...and redirecting, and redirecting, and redirecting... After a few days maybe she'll forget all about it? My Xbox is sitting out on an entertainment stand in the middle of the toddler area, and they all leave it alone. They each turned it on a few times when they first started, but redirection is all we used to get them to stop touching it.
Reply Up