Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>contract for susidy or assistance families??
kayla 06:18 AM 07-31-2012
I was curious if anyone has a seperate contract for families on county assistance or subsidy??? If you do what makes it different from your self pay contract? What are the main points in it?? What do you make sure to point out to those families?? I think I need to start a seperate contract because it seems those families think the same rules don't apply to them...
Blackcat31 06:22 AM 07-31-2012
I just make mention of the assistance in my handbook and specifically state that they families on subsidy MUST pay their fees on or before the due dates like anyone else or a late fee applies and they will receive no services.

What separate issues do you have with parents on assistance that need to be mentioned/addressed?
Truly Scrumptious 07:56 AM 07-31-2012
State pay families are expected the follow the same rules as everyone else, so I don't see the need in a seperate contract.
WDW 08:44 AM 07-31-2012
I have been contemplating this as some times people only get a partial subsidy or something... or they can only use the subsidy money if they are at work or school.. but still want to bring the kid to me when they are not at work or school.... that's fine if they do that but I want to be sure it's clear that I can NOT claim those hours on the subsidy and they will be responsible for paying me out of pocket for those times.. thoughts?
Annalee 08:56 AM 07-31-2012
If I enroll families with subsidy care, I explain in the interview that they are responsible when the state doesn't pay, such as for my vacation or emergency days.
kayla 09:11 AM 07-31-2012
I have issues sometimes that they didnt get assistance when they thought so i end up alot with a week unpaid... and I used to be able to double check with a social worker but now our county doesnt tell us anything some privacy law...
Blackcat31 09:16 AM 07-31-2012
Originally Posted by WDW:
I have been contemplating this as some times people only get a partial subsidy or something... or they can only use the subsidy money if they are at work or school.. but still want to bring the kid to me when they are not at work or school.... that's fine if they do that but I want to be sure it's clear that I can NOT claim those hours on the subsidy and they will be responsible for paying me out of pocket for those times.. thoughts?
Our assistance program is designed for use when job searching, working or school hours too although I do know there area few "approved" things parents can do that the state will pay for and since child care providers aren't given that specific info, I just let parents know that if I suspect they may be abusing the program, I will report it.

The only mention I make about it is a paragraph/section in my handbook that reads like this:

If your family participates with CCAP (Child Care Assistance Program) for child care payments you will be responsible for any and all amounts the state does not cover for services, late fees, provider vacations, withdraw notices and child absences etc.

It is your responsibility as the recipient of this funding to know the rules and policies of the program.

NO services will be provided without a current copy of your CCAP service agreement or direct verification from your case worker.

Please remember that the assistance program is only meant to provide you with assistance in paying for your child care costs. It is NOT intended to cover the cost completely.

The 'co-pay' and 'parent fee' are two separate amounts and will be due every other Friday, IN ADVANCE of the next two weeks of care.

If at any point you lose eligibility for the assistance program, you will be responsible for all tuition fees IN FULL before additional services will be provided.

It is also important to remember that the CCAP program is meant to provide financial assistance to you while you are at work, school or seeking employment. It is not designed so that you can run errands or spend time at home while your child is at child care.

If at any time I feel you are abusing the CCAP program, I will report my suspicions to the fraud investigator at ****** County Department of Health and Human Services as mandated to do per my licensing rules and regulations

PitterPatter 09:17 AM 07-31-2012
Originally Posted by kayla:
I was curious if anyone has a seperate contract for families on county assistance or subsidy??? If you do what makes it different from your self pay contract? What are the main points in it?? What do you make sure to point out to those families?? I think I need to start a seperate contract because it seems those families think the same rules don't apply to them...
I treat them pretty much the same just make note of changes right in same contract such as. Subsidy clients are only permitted to use child care services while working and have 30 minutes drive time to and from work. I make sure they know they have to pick their kids up BEFORE going shopping at Walmart etc. It has happened before that a provider in my area was not paid because the parent was not at work for days. Provider out the money.

I am not permitted to charge them for days I take off so if you are charging private pay and not them that's 1 note I would not make because it could start a war, just dont charge the subsidy. (if thats how your state works)

Used to be I wasn't permitted to charge any fees so I had to let subsidy go on those too but now we are permitted to do so as long as it's reasonable.

Also subsidy I can only charge so much for certain ages. Getting lower as they grow older. School age we only get $14 for a full day. My private paying I charge a flat $20 no matter the age. So again I wouldn't write the cost unless you take the higher private pay then state that each parent may have a different payment agreement depending on time in care etc...

It just depends on what your state guidlines are. Just make sure you cover yourself.
PitterPatter 09:21 AM 07-31-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Our assistance program is designed for use when job searching, working or school hours too although I do know there area few "approved" things parents can do that the state will pay for and since child care providers aren't given that specific info, I just let parents know that if I suspect they may be abusing the program, I will report it.

The only mention I make about it is a paragraph/section in my handbook that reads like this:

If your family participates with CCAP (Child Care Assistance Program) for child care payments you will be responsible for any and all amounts the state does not cover for services, late fees, provider vacations, withdraw notices and child absences etc.

It is your responsibility as the recipient of this funding to know the rules and policies of the program.

NO services will be provided without a current copy of your CCAP service agreement or direct verification from your case worker.

Please remember that the assistance program is only meant to provide you with assistance in paying for your child care costs. It is NOT intended to cover the cost completely.

The 'co-pay' and 'parent fee' are two separate amounts and will be due every other Friday, IN ADVANCE of the next two weeks of care.

If at any point you lose eligibility for the assistance program, you will be responsible for all tuition fees IN FULL before additional services will be provided.

It is also important to remember that the CCAP program is meant to provide financial assistance to you while you are at work, school or seeking employment. It is not designed so that you can run errands or spend time at home while your child is at child care.

If at any time I feel you are abusing the CCAP program, I will report my suspicions to the fraud investigator at ****** County Department of Health and Human Services as mandated to do per my licensing rules and regulations
WOW that really lays it all out there! I may have to borrow this to enhance my own contract if you don't mind.

So yeah ummm Kayla go with Blackcat!
You are so much better at this than I am but then again I have only been doing it for 7 years.
WDW 09:51 AM 07-31-2012

Thank you.. great info!
kayla 10:09 AM 07-31-2012
Thans black cat you give me great advice really appreciate it! YOu always take the time to answer anything I may have questions about...
Truly Scrumptious 10:35 AM 07-31-2012

I like it too!
Blackcat31 11:58 AM 07-31-2012
Thanks ladies.

It only takes getting burned a few times to make iron clad policies
Heidi 12:01 PM 07-31-2012

I have the same policy, but might have to borrow some of your wording...
momma2girls 12:37 PM 07-31-2012
I have been burnt a few times as well. I think everything in my contract is spelled out the way I would like it. There is alot of common sense items in the contract, but parents don't seem to think of common sense items on a daily basis. SO my new contract has them covered as well.
I used to take state paid children. It was a pain in the butt!! I wouldn't receive payment for them for literally 2 months!! They took off all the time, and would never call me, and I could never charge them!! Then I only receive $14.00 per day as well. I charged $25.00 back then a day, so I missed out on alot of payment over a month and yr.!!
Reply Up