Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>No Coat But Still Going Outside!
Country Kids 08:36 AM 10-16-2012
I've gotten to the age and point where if parents can't supply things we are still going forward with our plans. It was in the high 70's yesterday but didn't start off that way and had some with no coats. We still went outside and did our walk then played.

Another cold morning but the sun has come out so might warm up. Still have a few with no coats. I've decided we are still going to go outside warm or not. I'm going to let the parents know that even if the kids come without proper clothing we will go outside and play, walk, whatever is planned. Maybe if they hear their child say they are cold enough times then they will remember the coats. I'm getting so tired of trying to make sure everyone has what they need in the mornings upon arriving. I'm trying to get my own family out the door with everything.
EchoMom 08:40 AM 10-16-2012
Agreed. Some kids come with lightweat zippered hoodies when they should really have a true coat. Too bad, I warned parents that we still play outside and go for walks even when it is cold and snowing sometimes.

My own DS 13months I let go out in shorts though so I am not a stickler for being bundled up!
PolkaTots 09:13 AM 10-16-2012
Ugh...I am having this same problem. I am going to amend my contract to state a specific temperature instead of "when weather becomes chilly..." Last week it was low 30s at drop off, and 2 little girls came without coats Or what really makes me mad is when it's cold out and the kids don't have coats on, but the parents do

What specific temperature would you say coats should be required?
cheerfuldom 09:17 AM 10-16-2012
you still have a few options...I personally would not let child go outside underdressed.

*you can turn kids away from the door if they are sent unprepared. send out a notice on your new policy and start doing it. trust me, it will get old fast if parents have to spend time going home to get things.

*you can provide this type of clothing to be used at daycare only. This is what I do....provide all cold weather clothing. Yes it is a pain but I never send anything home with the kids. Its for daycare use only. I provide outwear only. Kids are sent home if they dont have at least the basics!

*you can have each parent send in a jacket for their child for daycare use only. dont send it home until the weather turns in spring. you may have to occasionally launder but this will make sure that kids always have a backup for daycare use.
countrymom 09:18 AM 10-16-2012
I'm with you too. I'm going outside even if they are not dressed right. I'm sorry but its fall and its cold, if you wear a coat then your child should have a coat. Oh the best is when they all start complaining that their kids are so sick and don't understand why they have to take time off from work.
My3cents 11:07 AM 10-16-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
you still have a few options...I personally would not let child go outside underdressed.

*you can turn kids away from the door if they are sent unprepared. send out a notice on your new policy and start doing it. trust me, it will get old fast if parents have to spend time going home to get things.

*you can provide this type of clothing to be used at daycare only. This is what I do....provide all cold weather clothing. Yes it is a pain but I never send anything home with the kids. Its for daycare use only. I provide outwear only. Kids are sent home if they dont have at least the basics!

*you can have each parent send in a jacket for their child for daycare use only. dont send it home until the weather turns in spring. you may have to occasionally launder but this will make sure that kids always have a backup for daycare use.
You have the option to turn the child away at the door or call the parent to bring you what you need.

I would never take a child out with out the proper clothing. This would be neglect on my part. I would have back up clothing or call the parents, or provide it myself first. I wouldn't want someone to go by my home and see a child out in cold weather with no jacket etc..

In my head, I might want to do this- but no. I tell the parents we all couldn't go outside today because so and so did not have the proper outside clothing, make sure he has it tomorrow or i will not take him into care until he does. Not fair to everyone else.

I think parents put the kids in a warm car and think to themselves they are only going from the car to the house, then our homes to the car and into the house. Not cool-
Luna 11:28 AM 10-16-2012
I have 2 boys who are rarely dressed for the cool weather. No problem. They don't care what they look like but they do like to be warm, so I have the prettiest pink and purple ruffled princess coats that were donated by a former dcm. I like to have them outside when Mom comes to pick up.
Alice Of Legend 02:26 PM 10-16-2012
Originally Posted by Luna:
I have 2 boys who are rarely dressed for the cool weather. No problem. They don't care what they look like but they do like to be warm, so I have the prettiest pink and purple ruffled princess coats that were donated by a former dcm. I like to have them outside when Mom comes to pick up.
I love this!
Unregistered 04:01 PM 10-16-2012
I get peeved about that problem too....and also when it's in reverse...too hot for long pants and long sleeves but the kid is dressed in them and no change of clothes and then short sleeves and no coat OR sweater when it gets chilly. I do keep a few things here for emergencies but I ALWAYS make sure that I put them in some hideous looking clothing (or opposite gender clothing) because the kids don't care and WANT to be outside and I hope that the parents are a little bit embarrassed if possible! LOL! I also write my name in BIG BLACK marker on the clothing so it can't "mistakenly" get taken home and never come back...
Kaddidle Care 05:46 PM 10-16-2012
Originally Posted by Luna:
This is great! Do try to keep spares and don't make the children suffer because of their ignorant parents.

Nobody said it has to fit perfectly or be gender specific.

Last year we emailed the parents and asked if they had any outgrown sweatpants and sweatshirts that they might like to donate. We got plenty. Change of seasons is the perfect time to ask for spares. Even if you have to keep them in a big plastic bucket in your garage or basement.
Mary Lynn 482 06:41 PM 10-16-2012
Good evening!
I am new on this forum and wanted to answer also! I agree,
I have asked my daycare parents to bring the kids prepared,
or have extra clothes in their cubbies.

Most of my parents are really good about this, I do have
some old jackets / sweaters but they are getting too small
or the wrong color!
Mary Lynn
DaisyMamma 07:28 AM 10-17-2012
I agree. I would make it a point to say at drop off. "Oh, no coat today, Johnny? You will be cold when we go outside later."
SunshineMama 07:46 AM 10-17-2012
I totally get where you are coming from, however I would feel terrible about letting a child get too cold. I would probably just stick them in something of my daughters and go about my day. If we have plans then we are definitely sticking to them, even if that means Johnny wore pink ruffles for the day. I would probably text mom and dad a pic of him pretty in pink so they get the hint, and then let them know that even if they think its warm enough we still need coats and jackets.

I agree with pp about how frustrating it is to see parents in long pants and sweatshirts and jackets, then their poor kids are in shorts and a t-shirt. I always over-dress my own kids in layers when they go to preschool, and they can peel off the layers as the day goes on. It's really not that hard to add a sweater and jacket to the outfit. Literally 2 extra minutes.
Brooksie 09:59 AM 10-17-2012
Originally Posted by PolkaTots:
Ugh...I am having this same problem. I am going to amend my contract to state a specific temperature instead of "when weather becomes chilly..." Last week it was low 30s at drop off, and 2 little girls came without coats Or what really makes me mad is when it's cold out and the kids don't have coats on, but the parents do

What specific temperature would you say coats should be required?
I would say anything below 55-60 needs to bring a jacket. It may warm up later and they could possibly not need it, but under 55-60 a jacket should be provided. AT LEAST a sweat shirt.
Crazy8 11:48 AM 10-17-2012
I have decided that parents are responsible for what they deem appropriate clothing for their child and that they are sending their child in it. They know we go out early (8:30) when its still very chilly and they know we go out a little later (11ish) when its closer to the days avg temperature. I'm always cold so I prefer a heavier jacket, but if mom sends child in a light fleece I am taking that as what she feels is appropriate - who am I to argue that?? Now, I do make them leave a sweatshirt/jacket here so I wouldn't allow a child to go out with nothing but I'm not going to be the one decided what is not warm enough, etc. They know we go out, they know what their child should wear.
Unregistered 12:54 AM 11-06-2012
oh ..that is not a problem. I have 2 children! who are rarely dressed for the cool weather. No any problem
Reply Up