Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Aging Out?
Alice Of Legend 11:16 AM 11-02-2012
I have a DCG that's heading towards the age group I don't accept (school-age) and I'm wondering how to approach the subject with DCPs. I have a much younger group and then this child so I think it will be best for her to move to a more appropriate program. Do any of you have any advice or do you have a letter/form that goes out to parents as the child gets closer to aging out of your program?
Blackcat31 11:41 AM 11-02-2012
Do parents know before enrolling that you don't take kids after a certain age?

If so, they should be prepared for the change.

If not, then I would just talk with them and let them know you think their child requires a more age appropriate environment. I would simply let them know that you think the child is bored and that you are no longer able to provide the child with what ever he/she needs at this developmental stage in their life.

I think parents appreciate that you are concerned and aware of this.
Alice Of Legend 01:41 PM 11-02-2012
I do talk with parents at interviews and contract signings about ages I take and that when they reach an age beyond that I will no longer be able to provide care. This particular family has been with me awhile and are notorious for "forgetting" everyday policies so I'm sure they won't remember this until I bring it up. I just want to start the conversation now, so in a few months when they seriously need to start looking for somewhere they won't feel unprepared or caught off guard.

I will be sad to see her go when it's time but she really needs to be in an environment that's more suited to her age and development.
Reply Up