Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Closings on the news?
Play Care 03:31 AM 02-05-2014
I was wondering if anyone here used the news when they were closed for weather related events? We are getting a good storm today and I'm watching the news. All schools and most day cares are closed - but I'm seeing a lot of smaller looking dc names come up - like "Mrs. Kim's Day Care" or "Susie's Playhouse"

I don't typically close unless it's very bad out (not just when schools close) but am think this might be a nice option rather then waiting until a decent time to call all my dcp.
daycarediva 03:38 AM 02-05-2014
I do! (CNYCentral is who I list it with) I have only ever closed twice, both times were state of emergency situations/road closings.

I do send out an email and post to facebook as well, but some of my daycare parents don't check email. Everyone loves it.

We are getting the same 'storm'. School closed, and we have an INCH of snow. So annoyed, as I was going to have an easy/light day. I had 6 kids scheduled, 1 is out sick, 1 Dad was called off due to weather and keeping him home. Now I have my kids + Sa dcb all day.
Play Care 03:42 AM 02-05-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I do! (CNYCentral is who I list it with) I have only ever closed twice, both times were state of emergency situations/road closings.

I do send out an email and post to facebook as well, but some of my daycare parents don't check email. Everyone loves it.

We are getting the same 'storm'. School closed, and we have an INCH of snow. So annoyed, as I was going to have an easy/light day. I had 6 kids scheduled, 1 is out sick, 1 Dad was called off due to weather and keeping him home. Now I have my kids + Sa dcb all day.
Oh no! We are getting hammered, we have several inches already on the ground and it's coming down hard. My kids school waited until it started snowing to call it, DH's school cancelled last night.
Play Care 03:45 AM 02-05-2014
How do you find out if there is a SOE? My policy is that I am closed if there is one due to weather, but the couple times we had one it wasn't on the news or anything. I didn't find out until after the fact and I had a houseful of kids.
Thankfully we made it but had one of the kids become ill no one would have been able to get them
daycarediva 03:51 AM 02-05-2014
Governor Cuomo posts it!

https://www.governor.ny.gov/newsroom/newsroom

I closed part way through the morning 1/6 (I believe that was the date, would have to double check) because he declared a state of emergency.
snbauser 03:54 AM 02-05-2014
I don't. Most of the news stations around here will only do it if you have a certain number of employees or people impacted. I follow our school system so I just tell people to watch for that.
Play Care 04:07 AM 02-05-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Governor Cuomo posts it!

https://www.governor.ny.gov/newsroom/newsroom

I closed part way through the morning 1/6 (I believe that was the date, would have to double check) because he declared a state of emergency.
Thanks! I was looking to my county for it but that makes sense.
CraftyMom 07:45 AM 02-05-2014
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Oh no! We are getting hammered, we have several inches already on the ground and it's coming down hard. My kids school waited until it started snowing to call it, DH's school cancelled last night.
I'm in MA we are getting hammered too! Supposed to turn to a messy mix of sleet/snow later. Our schools cancelled yesterday at 3 and it didn't start snowing until early this morning! My kids were over the moon excited
daycarediva 08:39 AM 02-05-2014
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Thanks! I was looking to my county for it but that makes sense.
State of emergency has been declared. They closed several local roads here (including the street next to me). I am closing now. Scary out there!
Tags:closed from bad weather, closing, media
Reply Up