Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sandbox or Table?
mommiebookworm 05:47 AM 03-10-2015
I'm more than ready for the nice weather! When we can play outside all day. I'm revamping the backyard, and can't decide between a sand box or table? What do you prefer and why?
My own daughter is the reason I got rid of the sand box last year , after daycare hours, she would sit in the middle of it and dump out buckets of sand. I switched to a water table filled with sand and didn't have that problem. I"m trying to decide if we need a second water table or not.
mamamanda 06:03 AM 03-10-2015
Mine all do better with a sandbox on the ground. When we used a sand table they all dropped sand accidentally all day long. We did have to work on the no dumping sand though. I did 2 things. First, I showed them how to dump sand INSIDE the sandbox so they still got the fun of dumping. Secondly, if they dump sand outside the box on purpose they lose the privilege of playing in the sand that day. A day or two of that & all was solved! They also love their water table! And yay for warmer weather. I'm with you!
jenboo 07:07 AM 03-10-2015
I did a sandbox on the ground BUT they couldn't go inside of it. They had to stay on the outside and reach over.
Blackcat31 07:09 AM 03-10-2015
Sandbox!

I have a LARGE sandbox.

A majority of my DCK's have spent HOURS in it.

They could not live without the sandbox.

So many things are mastered through sand play.
scorp122 07:42 AM 03-10-2015
Definitely a sandbox at our daycare, there is always at least one kid in it, and majority of the kids are in it all the time! We have a big one and it's shaded under a shelter--Love it!!
KiddieCahoots 07:53 AM 03-10-2015
At one time I had the sandbox and did enjoy it, but a few of the things that didn't work for me.....
Needed a cover to keep the neighborhood cats out of it
Babies would tend to eat the sand....sandy poop is not the easiest to clean off a tender bottom, and dcp's were not thrilled.
The sand got everywhere, again cleaning in between delicate baby folds of skin is a pip! Although saw here that using a cloth sachet with baby powder in it to clean up works great getting the sand off....have yet to try it myself.
Kids that got testy and decided to throw the sand before getting removed from the sandbox caused much upset...in eyes, hair.....although that can happen with a table too, but was usually caused by the younger ones.

The thing I like about the table....
One side is water, one side sand
A cover
It's tall enough to keep younger ones from getting into it, and even though this can seem mean, most of my younger ones were not able to handle the sandbox without constant reminders and reinforcement. So now (well maybe not now, it's buried under so much snow) the sandbox is more of a fun and relaxing activity.
rosieteddy 02:14 PM 03-10-2015
I made a huge sandbox years ago.I put a divider across the middle .It is the width of the box and 2 inches down.They can sit or play with buckets inside.This got rid of the sand falling out all the time.They spent hours every day in there.
daycare 02:22 PM 03-10-2015
either one works for me....if they spill it kids LOVE to sweep. I have a small dustpan and broom, they clean it up.... I have no part it it.
Unregistered 02:42 PM 03-10-2015
I have a large sand pit boxed in. The kids love it. Its big enough for 6-8 kids.
mommiebookworm 06:11 PM 03-10-2015
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
I made a huge sandbox years ago.I put a divider across the middle .It is the width of the box and 2 inches down.They can sit or play with buckets inside.This got rid of the sand falling out all the time.They spent hours every day in there.
That might be the solution! Thanks for the idea. Now, if I can get hubby to agree to another project
Laurel 07:42 AM 03-11-2015
I always preferred the tables because I didn't like them sitting in it (did try that way). Less mess in my opinion.

Laurel
daycare 07:57 AM 03-11-2015
Originally Posted by Laurel:
I always preferred the tables because I didn't like them sitting in it (did try that way). Less mess in my opinion.

Laurel
that is so true...when the kids use the sandbox we have to make them run around the yard for all the sand to fall off, then dust them off, take off shoes, dump sand, dust off socks and make sure all sand is off of them. Only to go to the diaper station and their diaper is full of sand.

we have a 30x30 sandbox, kids love it,but the cover is hard to put on and take off daily, so we don't always use it. That is why we have the table.
Blackcat31 11:02 AM 03-11-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
that is so true...when the kids use the sandbox we have to make them run around the yard for all the sand to fall off, then dust them off, take off shoes, dump sand, dust off socks and make sure all sand is off of them. Only to go to the diaper station and their diaper is full of sand.

we have a 30x30 sandbox, kids love it,but the cover is hard to put on and take off daily, so we don't always use it. That is why we have the table.
inches? If so, that's kind of tiny...

feet? If so, that is HUGE! I can see why you wouldn't be able to manage a cover!

A standard 2 garage 20' X 24' so just wondering if that is actually what you meant....

I thought I had a huge sandbox (all 12 of my kids as well as myself can fit in it) but it's only 12'X12'.
Jack Sprat 11:15 AM 03-11-2015
Our sandbox is 12 feet by 34 feet. The main reason for this is that we have to have 6 inches of padding beneath all swings, climbing structures etc. I do not like mulch at all it hurts, rubber tires would have cost about $3,000 and IMO are gross. So we opted for sand.

Yes, it's a pain to rake each day but, the kids love it. I love it! We dust off and such outside. I change diapers outside before we go in this helps keep it out of the house. The sand isn't allowed out of the sandbox.
Indianadaycare 09:15 AM 04-18-2015
I learn so much from all of you! thanks everyone for your input.
daycare 01:34 PM 04-18-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
inches? If so, that's kind of tiny...

feet? If so, that is HUGE! I can see why you wouldn't be able to manage a cover!

A standard 2 garage 20' X 24' so just wondering if that is actually what you meant....

I thought I had a huge sandbox (all 12 of my kids as well as myself can fit in it) but it's only 12'X12'.
no it is feet, it is huge.....looks like a beach back there...Even have 3 palm trees in the sand plus a tiki hut and a hammock......
Blackcat31 04:57 PM 04-18-2015
no it is feet, it is huge.....looks like a beach back there...Even have 3 palm trees in the sand plus a tiki hut and a hammock......
I sandboxes.

That would be awesome!
Unregistered 05:14 PM 04-18-2015
The best thing we ever had when the kids were young was a hot tub that didn't work. A family member was getting rid of there hot tub and we new it didn't work. We took it and filled it with lots of sand. The kids were younger so we could put them in and they would stay inside playing in the sand and the sides were high enough that there was no accidental dumping over the sides. Each night we would just put the hot tub cover on and kept out the rain and animals.
AmyKidsCo 11:59 AM 04-20-2015
Sandbox! It gives them a whole body sensory experience, in addition to the other benefits already mentioned.
BabyMonkeys 03:18 PM 04-20-2015
How on earth do you cover a 30x30 sandbox?
Thriftylady 05:38 PM 04-20-2015
I so want to do a sandbox. But I have cats.
daycare 06:04 PM 04-20-2015
Originally Posted by angelw2babies:
How on earth do you cover a 30x30 sandbox?
We made a custom grade tarp with a local canapoy company. It was expensive but totally worth it.
Tags:sandbox
Reply Up