Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Vacation Time And Holidays...
AnythingsPossible 08:15 AM 01-04-2011
I know there are tons of threads on this, but thought I would get some fresh opinions. Those of you who take time off, do you generally take 2 weeks plus holidays, or 2 weeks including holidays?
I closed for a week over christmas vacation for the first time in 8 years!! It was kind of nice to just be able to spend time at home with my own kids. It got me to thinking about closing for a week in the summer and a week at christmas, plus my normal holiday closings, but am afraid it will seem like to much.
My closures would be as follows;
April 25th for Easter
May 30th For Memorial Day(Possible the 27th as well, last day of school!!)
July 4th and 5th for Independence day
One Week at some point in the summer
September 5th for Labor Day
November 24th and 25th for Thanksgiving
December 26th-30th
Does that seem excessive to anyone? I take all time off unpaid so financially it isn't a burden to families, but convenience wise it is, as I do not have a back up provider.
VTMom 08:27 AM 01-04-2011
Considering you take this time off unpaid, I don't think it's excessive at all. I take 8 holidays off + 1 week vacation paid. I have in my handbook/contract that I may take a second week vacation unpaid. I plan on taking a week off during the summer every year, but this year we're also going to Disney in April!

I don't have a back-up provider but I do give my families plenty of notice. I emailed them about my April vacation as we were on the phone booking with the travel agent in September! I'll also let them know about my summer week by next month.
momofboys 08:31 AM 01-04-2011
I don't think it is excessive at all! I also take all my time off unpaid & I typically close for most Nat'l Holidays, 3-4 days around my boys' spring break, 1 week in the summer, & 1 1/2 weeks at Christmas.
legomom922 08:34 AM 01-04-2011
All of my holidays are paid, but I take 2 wks vac unpaid. In the summer, which is always teh 1st week in Aug, and the week after Christmas.

I do not have back up care either, and I know it's inconveinant for them, BUT I do have in my contract that it is THEIR responsibility to have a backup provider available to them for the times that I am not available due to illness, vaca, etc. That way, it relieves me of any guilt, and it put the responsibility where it belongs, in THEIR lap. If they do not go through any process to scope out other providers, it is not my fault.

I have now decided that I am going to take that week after Christmas off every yr, and I think I will also ask for my week in Aug to be paid, and at the same time I will raise their sick days from 3 to 5, so it looks like they are getting something out of this too.
Tags:paid holidays, vacation policy
Reply Up