Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need Help Terming
Ac114 11:21 AM 12-18-2018
I have a family that has been in care for just over 2 months. We did not get off to the best start and I should have cancelled services when she tried to back out before care started but I gave her a chance. Long story short, she wanted a refund when she paid for his first week with a signed contract 2 weeks before he was to start. Then she said they actually don’t need care anymore and wanted a refund. I explained to her that’s not how things work and would not be issuing a refund.

DCB 14 months is only here 3 days a week. She tried to change his days for the first 3 or 4 weeks saying she was having a small procedure one week, another small procedure the second week, then had some emergency come up blah blah blah. These were all last minute changes, like the day before she needed to switch care. First he was coming from 7-3, then it turned into 7-4 and now it’s 7-5. Back in November (on my birthday) my son had a mother/son dance and I had arranged early pickup for all my parents for all the kids to be gone by 5pm. Since her pickup time was by 4, I didn’t have to worry about her, right? Wrong! She sent me a message at 3pm saying she had a family emergency out of town and now can’t get her child until 5:30. I told her I had arranged early pickup because of the mother/son dance and he needed to be out the door by 5pm. She got snarky and said something about ruining my birthday plans and how it’s inconvenient. They show up at 5:15. I was beyond pissed needed to leave to meet everyone at the restaurant.

Now when DCB first started I was not aware that he was on bottles ONLY! They said he doesn’t like solid foods because he’s lazy. I now have to spoon feed a child who is toddler baby food because he is unable to eat actual food. I’ve told them several times that they should bring this up to their pediatrician. He will gag, choke, spit up/out food if it’s not puréed baby food. He is unable to feed himself AT ALL. To me, this is an infant spot that I do not have room for.

He also spits up and drools beyond anyone I’ve ever seen. They refuse to put a bib on him and I change his shirt at least twice because it will be completely soaked by the end of the day. None of the other kids want to be around him because he slobbers all over them and the toys they are playing with.

At this point I’m just beyond annoyed and don’t really want to continue providing care. I wanted to term immediately but I don’t know what I should say? Do I do it face to face or write it up. It just feels awkward if I hand them a termination letter while they are still at my house. I’ve only had to term one other time and that was because of violent behavior and I didn’t really feel bad about it.

Thanks for reading my long rant. I’m just kind of venting at this point and looking for advice.
storybookending 12:34 PM 12-18-2018
Tell her in person at pick up tonight and also hand her a letter.

“Dear DCM

Today is Johnny’s last day of care. Your contract is terminated effective 12/18/31.

Signed,
Provider.”

I would not give any more reasons or excuses. Have someone else in the house while you do this if at all possible. I would’ve had the child’s stuff all packed up the day they were supposed to come at 4 and didn’t show up until 5:15. I also would not have been nice about it, that’s one of the rudest stories I’ve heard on here.
Blackcat31 12:37 PM 12-18-2018
Dear DCP

This letter serves as written notice of our child care contract.
The last day I am available to provide services is Dec xx, 2018.

Thank you

NOT your provider any more

Short and sweet and no reason given.

I would not explain. It's clear you are not the right program for them.
If they push for an explanation just say something like, "It's a business decision."

If they push more...

"It's business."

Rinse and repeat. You owe them no other explanations.
Ariana 02:21 PM 12-18-2018
I always term through email. It works better for me and the family gets to digest the info before responding.

I would just let them know that due to some of the issues discussed (I assume you have discussed this with them) you are no longer able to provide care for their child. As per the contract you are being given a two week notice and last day of care is X.
Leigh 04:49 PM 12-18-2018
Originally Posted by storybookending:
Tell her in person at pick up tonight and also hand her a letter.

“Dear DCM

Today is Johnny’s last day of care. Your contract is terminated effective 12/18/31.

Signed,
Provider.”

I would not give any more reasons or excuses. Have someone else in the house while you do this if at all possible. I would’ve had the child’s stuff all packed up the day they were supposed to come at 4 and didn’t show up until 5:15. I also would not have been nice about it, that’s one of the rudest stories I’ve heard on here.
I absolutely agree. 75 minutes late would have been a $150 late fee due immediately and a termination on the spot. The spot wouldn't have been my home, either. I'd have taken the child with me to the dance and let the mom drive to you to pick him up. Actually, by 75 minutes late, I'd have probably had CPS come pick up the child. I've taken them with me when parents are 15 minutes late, but by that long, I'd have likely had the child picked up.
amberrose3dg 03:43 AM 12-19-2018
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I absolutely agree. 75 minutes late would have been a $150 late fee due immediately and a termination on the spot. The spot wouldn't have been my home, either. I'd have taken the child with me to the dance and let the mom drive to you to pick him up. Actually, by 75 minutes late, I'd have probably had CPS come pick up the child. I've taken them with me when parents are 15 minutes late, but by that long, I'd have likely had the child picked up.
That right there is totally disrespectful.
Pestle 04:59 AM 12-19-2018
Wow; I just read over the part about the late pick up. Yes, termination on the spot for things like that. Don't let your clients reach into your family's time and ruin it.
rosieteddy 06:13 AM 12-19-2018
What does your contract say?Do you need to give notice?I would be inclined to give them until the end of next week.What days do you expect him next week.Dear parent As of Dec 28th I will no longer offer care to xxx.I feel this is not a good fit for xxx.I would send a text today and have a written letter at pick up. This way you are giving them a chance to setup care.I would have termed when they picked up late and gave you attitude.This way you look like the good guy.If pressed I would say feeding issues and part time care our the reason.
Ac114 05:51 AM 12-20-2018
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
What does your contract say?Do you need to give notice?I would be inclined to give them until the end of next week.What days do you expect him next week.Dear parent As of Dec 28th I will no longer offer care to xxx.I feel this is not a good fit for xxx.I would send a text today and have a written letter at pick up. This way you are giving them a chance to setup care.I would have termed when they picked up late and gave you attitude.This way you look like the good guy.If pressed I would say feeding issues and part time care our the reason.
It’s in my contract that I can term immediately for any reason I deem necessary. They gave me a post dated check this week that could be deposited today when monies were due on Monday. DCM said they were catching up because of Christmas shopping. Like oh really because I don’t have my own Christmas shopping to do or feed my family. Anyways, they paid for this week and next and I am terming next Friday. Already today she asked to switch days next week so she could get out of paying me for Christmas Eve. Once again, I had to go over that it’s in the contract that Christmas Eve and day are paid holidays. I’m just so done with this family.
Firefly 06:06 AM 12-20-2018
I guess Christmas shopping is more important than paying your bills. You will be relieved when they are gone.
rosieteddy 06:22 AM 12-20-2018
Your contract covers you.Make sure the money is in your account then give notice.''Sorry DCParent this is not working out.Last day of care will be Friday after Christmas/or whatever the last day next week is."Be prepared she could react badly.
littlefriends 09:03 AM 12-20-2018
Originally Posted by Ac114:
It’s in my contract that I can term immediately for any reason I deem necessary. They gave me a post dated check this week that could be deposited today when monies were due on Monday. DCM said they were catching up because of Christmas shopping. Like oh really because I don’t have my own Christmas shopping to do or feed my family. Anyways, they paid for this week and next and I am terming next Friday. Already today she asked to switch days next week so she could get out of paying me for Christmas Eve. Once again, I had to go over that it’s in the contract that Christmas Eve and day are paid holidays. I’m just so done with this family.
That would tick me off to no end!!!! I’d have told her sure you can post date the check and when I’m able to cash it is the next time you can drop dck off.
Josiegirl 10:44 AM 12-20-2018
Originally Posted by littlefriends:
That would tick me off to no end!!!! I’d have told her sure you can post date the check and when I’m able to cash it is the next time you can drop dck off.
Yes, wouldn't post dating a check essentially be the same as paying late; did you charge late fees??
Heidi 11:06 AM 12-20-2018
Did you take the check to her bank and cash it, or did you deposit it? I would worry about the dang thing bouncing!

If you know it's cleared, I would give her notice, with an ending date of (last day of week) next week. Maybe you'l get lucky and she'll be mad enough to not show up.
Blackcat31 11:47 AM 12-20-2018
Originally Posted by Heidi:
Did you take the check to her bank and cash it, or did you deposit it? I would worry about the dang thing bouncing!

If you know it's cleared, I would give her notice, with an ending date of (last day of week) next week. Maybe you'l get lucky and she'll be mad enough to not show up.
Hey!!! Waving hello!! How are you?! How have you been?!? Long time....!!
Heidi 01:23 PM 12-20-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Hey!!! Waving hello!! How are you?! How have you been?!? Long time....!!
Yeah...long story..I am currently unemployed, got lonely, and decided to come visit after recommending the site to a friend in the childcare world.

I will post the long story sometime soon. Nice to "see" you too!

Anyone here need an administrator or teacher? lol
Tags:letter samples, termination letter
Reply Up