Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Gift For The Postman (Or Woman)
QualiTcare 10:33 PM 12-22-2010
okay, so i want to leave something for my mail carrier who happens to be female. i've left gifts in the past (for male workers) and put "postman" on the card - typically $20cash. i'm broke this year so i'm doing chocolates and a $5 fast food gift cert., but i don't know what to put as i don't know her name.

does anyone else even do this?

btw, i delivered papers once when i was younger and it was a horrid job. i think they deserve SOME kind of thanks but i'm biased. this year is different because i've incurred at least $100 in late fees for bills because the post office kept sending mail back and my bills got paid late as a result. it's a long story, but basically after doing some construction to extend the road in front of my house, my physical address changed (had to put new numbers on the house). i spoke to the post master FIVE times and my husband spoke to the mail carrier once. the last time i spoke to the postmaster i was less than pleasant (just paid a $25 penalty for a bill i hadn't received). in reality, i prob. shouldn't leave anything at all, but i'm kind of doing it just bc i'm sure it's been talked about around the office (it's a small town) so i want to be the bigger person and put the thing to rest HOPEFULLY! this has been going on for almost a year!

anyhow, what do i write on the card? mail carrier (that seems so impersonal), postlady? HELP!
DBug 03:31 AM 12-23-2010
Postal Delivery Worker? Mail Delivery Person/Personnel?

Or, maybe you could call the post office anonymously and ask who does the route on your street to get her name?
melskids 04:38 AM 12-23-2010
i didnt know who mine was either. i called the post office and asked.
Lianne 05:39 AM 12-23-2010
I gave my mail carrier, garbage men and recycle men a $5 card to a large coffee shop chain plus a small box of chocolates. I address the bag/envelope to "The Mail Carrier" or "The Garbage Collectors"
kitkat 05:45 AM 12-23-2010
I wrote Merry Christmas on the envelope and handed it to our mail carrier. I would say either write Mail Carrier or call the post office to find out a name. By the way, I only did a $5 gift card and chocolates also.
momma2girls 05:51 AM 12-23-2010
I can't ever catch the Recycling, and garbage men. I give out $5.00 gift cards to everyone- UPS, postal service, Paper guy, Fedex, etc.. It's not much, but it's the thought that counts!! I appreciate everyone the entire yr.
Lucy 07:46 AM 12-23-2010
My sister-in-law is one, and their official title is "Letter Carrier". I'm sure yours will be perfectly fine with this label on the envelope. Especially when she sees what's inside!!
sahm2three 09:45 AM 12-23-2010
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
okay, so i want to leave something for my mail carrier who happens to be female. i've left gifts in the past (for male workers) and put "postman" on the card - typically $20cash. i'm broke this year so i'm doing chocolates and a $5 fast food gift cert., but i don't know what to put as i don't know her name.

does anyone else even do this?

btw, i delivered papers once when i was younger and it was a horrid job. i think they deserve SOME kind of thanks but i'm biased. this year is different because i've incurred at least $100 in late fees for bills because the post office kept sending mail back and my bills got paid late as a result. it's a long story, but basically after doing some construction to extend the road in front of my house, my physical address changed (had to put new numbers on the house). i spoke to the post master FIVE times and my husband spoke to the mail carrier once. the last time i spoke to the postmaster i was less than pleasant (just paid a $25 penalty for a bill i hadn't received). in reality, i prob. shouldn't leave anything at all, but i'm kind of doing it just bc i'm sure it's been talked about around the office (it's a small town) so i want to be the bigger person and put the thing to rest HOPEFULLY! this has been going on for almost a year!

anyhow, what do i write on the card? mail carrier (that seems so impersonal), postlady? HELP!
Our postman can't accept cash gifts. So we always do a gift card and a plate of cookies. I just put "To my wonderful mail carrier:" on the card!
Abigail 02:41 PM 12-25-2010
I have many friends who work at USPS and use to work their myself. Here is a short summary on this link about gifts. The only thing it's missing (according to our training videos when I started working with the company) is that if you receive a higher valued gift than you should then you are suppose to return it. Who knows how many honest people are out there to say "Sorry, I can't accept this XBOX, etc." LOL Our video showed the letter carrier picking up a wrapped gift from a lady at her house and driving off. He opened it after work and brought it back to her the next day while on his route again. The lady kept insisting he keep this over-the-top gift, but he still gave it back. We were laughing because the video was so what-do-you-call-it....dramatized? I can't remember what you call it, but it made the scene look rediculously funny.

http://www.postalemployeenetwork.com...tmas-gifts.htm
melissa ann 04:04 PM 12-26-2010
I gave our mail carrier and container of caramel corn that I make myself and a crocheted ornament that I also made. I handed it to her and she seemed very happy with it. She's a very nice lady who's delieved our mail for quite a few years.
MG&Lsmom 06:02 AM 12-27-2010
A bit late, but we always tipped our old letter carrier as he was so good to us. Usually a giftcard for coffee or the bakery next to the post office. He retired and now we have a crotchety lady who misdelivers, refuses to take our outgoing mail, and is just plain rude. Last year she left a collection envelope for us to give her a tip the week before Christmas. I just think it's plain rude to ask for a tip. So no tip for her. As far as the garbage men go, we don't have town services, we pay LOTS of money for crappy service, so no tip.
Tags:christmas card
Reply Up