Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Poopy Diaper Smell
midaycare 08:01 PM 08-13-2014
I'm still a newbie at home daycare, so I'm learning a lot this year.

One thing I can't stand is the poopy diaper smell. It makes my entire daycare smell like, well ... poop.

I change the diapers in a changing area, away from everything. I have the garbage bag in the farthest corner possible, yet next to the changing area. I put each diaper in a plastic bag, then tie it up, before it goes into the garbage bag, in the garbage can. I put a dryer sheet in the garbage can. I spray lysol and febreeze. And instead it smells like poosol and feboopy.

What does everyone here do to cover up/mask/get rid of that awful smell?

Oh yes, and I do take my garbage out every day.
Unregistered 08:15 PM 08-13-2014
Saw this in a hospital bathroom and looked for it online. Medi-Aire Biological Odor Eliminator. It works great and lasts a long time. I ordered this bottle in 2012 and it's still half full. One spray per room, two at most. The smell is slightly spicy and doesn't linger long.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Meyou 02:28 AM 08-14-2014
Can you keep a small garbage can outside the door for diapers? I used to do that in my old house because the smell seemed much worse there than in my current house. I emptied the bag nightly into a large outside garbage can.
hope 03:25 AM 08-14-2014
I use tall kitchen bags (a box from the dollar store) and put the smelly diaper in, twist, fold over, twist....and continue. It gives it about 4 layers before I tie the bag up. I also keep the garbage can in my laundry room which is far away from the rest of my house. I have kept a small garbage can on my basement steps on particularly poopy days.

Another great thing that works is these vent sticky things. I think they are supposed to go on air filter cartridges but I cut them out and stick them in my vents.
coolconfidentme 03:33 AM 08-14-2014
I tie up the diaper in a grocery bag & deposit in the garbage outside, next to the back door. Works here...
Play Care 03:41 AM 08-14-2014
I prefer to clear the air naturally, as I have allergies to a lot of scented products. Plus most of them just mask the oder so I feel like I get flower scented poop rather than just poop...
After I've changed the diaper and have the kids set, I empty the garbage can and put the bag in the larger garbage can in my garage - it's right next to the door and I don't even leave the kitchen to toss it out the way it's set up.
(Although technically not violating my regs doing this, if my licensor were here I would wait until she left...) I also will crack the window just a little - even in winter to clear the air.

Thankfully now all my older kids are potty trained and the only one this Fall who will be in diapers is and infant. I find the older the kid, the smellier the diaper.
midaycare 04:28 AM 08-14-2014
Originally Posted by Meyou:
Can you keep a small garbage can outside the door for diapers? I used to do that in my old house because the smell seemed much worse there than in my current house. I emptied the bag nightly into a large outside garbage can.
I can't do this unfortunately. My daycare is in our walkout basement and I don't want to put a garbage can by the door where parents walk in. I want it to smell good when they enter, lol!
midaycare 04:30 AM 08-14-2014
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I prefer to clear the air naturally, as I have allergies to a lot of scented products. Plus most of them just mask the oder so I feel like I get flower scented poop rather than just poop...
After I've changed the diaper and have the kids set, I empty the garbage can and put the bag in the larger garbage can in my garage - it's right next to the door and I don't even leave the kitchen to toss it out the way it's set up.
(Although technically not violating my regs doing this, if my licensor were here I would wait until she left...) I also will crack the window just a little - even in winter to clear the air.

Thankfully now all my older kids are potty trained and the only one this Fall who will be in diapers is and infant. I find the older the kid, the smellier the diaper.
This would be nice but we don't have a garage. We have a huge pole barn and our garbage cans are some ways away from the home.
midaycare 04:31 AM 08-14-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Saw this in a hospital bathroom and looked for it online. Medi-Aire Biological Odor Eliminator. It works great and lasts a long time. I ordered this bottle in 2012 and it's still half full. One spray per room, two at most. The smell is slightly spicy and doesn't linger long.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This I might be able to try, thank you!
MyAngels 05:14 AM 08-14-2014
I usually put mine in the trash outside, but if for some reason I can't I triple wrap it in those diaper disposal bags from the dollar store which helps keep the smell contained until I can take the trash out.
Cat Herder 05:25 AM 08-14-2014
Originally Posted by midaycare:

I don't keep it in the house.

I reuse plastic grocery bags for each round of changes, with each diaper wrapped in a glove and walk the little bags out to the dumpster several times a day.

The air purifier and wallflower handle the rest.
drseuss 07:58 AM 08-14-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I don't keep it in the house.

I reuse plastic grocery bags for each round of changes, with each diaper wrapped in a glove and walk the little bags out to the dumpster several times a day.

The air purifier and wallflower handle the rest.
This is what I do, too, minus the glove. Every round gets taken straight out to the trash can in the garage. I have tried lots of things, but this is the only way that works for me.

Love the term 'feboopy'. Adding that to my vocab.
midaycare 10:41 AM 08-14-2014
Thank you everyone. It sounds like I really need to find a way to take the trash outside a few times a day. I will have to think on that ...
SignMeUp 12:50 PM 08-14-2014
Thank you everyone. It sounds like I really need to find a way to take the trash outside a few times a day. I will have to think on that ...
For some kids, that just won't work. They are, um, FAP (fresh-air-proof), LP (Lysol-proof) and FP (Febreze-proof) I kid you not, two kids from one family and my entire house stunk like a skunk Could not get that odor out, and I had never had that problem before.
That's why I got the biologic odor eliminator. (That was me posting, above.)
I don't know how it works, but it is used in hospital environments and is supposedly known for getting rid of most any odor. (even necrosis, it says )
crazydaycarelady 01:21 PM 08-14-2014
I keep the poopy diapers outside too but it still stinks in here. By the time I smell the diaper and get it changed the whole place reeks! I burn a Scentsy but then it just smells like clean linen poop or cinnamon poop.
crazydaycarelady 01:30 PM 08-14-2014
Okay I am ordering that stuff. I hope it works as good as all the reviews say!
e.j. 01:44 PM 08-14-2014
I use a Diaper Genie. Buying the refills can get a little expensive if I have several kids in diapers at the same time but it prevents the smell from taking over the room and that's worth every penny to me!
CraftyMom 01:52 PM 08-14-2014
I empty the poop into the toilet first, then use a grocery bag and put it outside. (unless it's messy of course, then it stays in the diaper)

Lysol spray works for me
KiddieCahoots 02:11 PM 08-14-2014
I take both my rubber gloves and turn them inside out around the diaper that I'm holding. One on one side of the diaper, one on the other side. It locks in the odor. I have a really sensitive dog nose too! ..........And this works for me.
midaycare 03:05 PM 08-14-2014
Originally Posted by SignMeUp:
For some kids, that just won't work. They are, um, FAP (fresh-air-proof), LP (Lysol-proof) and FP (Febreze-proof) I kid you not, two kids from one family and my entire house stunk like a skunk Could not get that odor out, and I had never had that problem before.
That's why I got the biologic odor eliminator. (That was me posting, above.)
I don't know how it works, but it is used in hospital environments and is supposedly known for getting rid of most any odor. (even necrosis, it says )
Right???!!! I have two that smell like farm animals. I open the diaper and I'm whisked away to the aromas of a pig farm.
AmyKidsCo 05:45 PM 08-14-2014
I run mine outside to the garbage can.
LadyK8 05:59 PM 08-14-2014
I have a small trash can that has a closed top and a foot thing that opens the top when needed. I never smell a diaper smell. As a matter of fact, the trash can still smells like it did the day I bought it, and I use grocery bags inside of it.

It resembles this:

http://www.fivebelow.com/room/for-yo...rash-cans.html
midaycare 06:52 PM 08-14-2014
Originally Posted by LadyK8:
I have a small trash can that has a closed top and a foot thing that opens the top when needed. I never smell a diaper smell. As a matter of fact, the trash can still smells like it did the day I bought it, and I use grocery bags inside of it.

It resembles this:

http://www.fivebelow.com/room/for-yo...rash-cans.html
Interesting ... Perhaps my garbage can is not suction proof enough?
Meeko 07:39 PM 08-14-2014
In the outside trash as soon as I'm done changing. I have 11 kids in diapers at the moment

I buy the scented body sprays in Walmart's cologne area. They last waaaaay longer than an spray can of air freshener. Just one of two squirts does the trick. I have an apple one and a fresh cotton one. Parents are always commenting on how nice it smells when they come in.
Michael 08:52 PM 08-14-2014
Diaper Genie: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=diaper+genie

Playtex Diaper Genie II Elite Advanced Diaper Disposal System

http://www.playtexbaby.com/DiaperGenie/Diaper-Genie-II-Elite-Pail.aspx

NightOwl 12:16 AM 08-15-2014
I'm still a newbie at home daycare, so I'm learning a lot this year.

One thing I can't stand is the poopy diaper smell. It makes my entire daycare smell like, well ... poop.

I change the diapers in a changing area, away from everything. I have the garbage bag in the farthest corner possible, yet next to the changing area. I put each diaper in a plastic bag, then tie it up, before it goes into the garbage bag, in the garbage can. I put a dryer sheet in the garbage can. I spray lysol and febreeze. And instead it smells like poosol and feboopy.

Poosol and feboopy. Lololol. When I owned a center, we had a small trash can outside of each backdoor for every classroom. They all had their own exit doors into the playground. Poopies went in the outside trash right after changing. It would be easy to do the same with a home daycare. That's what I do.

I just read where you only have one entrance. What about a window? You could place a trash can outside under the window and just drop them in. If not, I'd go with the diaper genie. Those work well.
midaycare 04:09 AM 08-15-2014
Originally Posted by Meeko:
In the outside trash as soon as I'm done changing. I have 11 kids in diapers at the moment

I buy the scented body sprays in Walmart's cologne area. They last waaaaay longer than an spray can of air freshener. Just one of two squirts does the trick. I have an apple one and a fresh cotton one. Parents are always commenting on how nice it smells when they come in.
Good idea!
midaycare 04:09 AM 08-15-2014
Thanks Michael!
melilley 05:06 AM 08-15-2014
You could put the diaper garbage can outside after the last child comes in and then change the bag and bring it in before the first child is picked up.
I know for licensing we have to have the pail right there, but there are creative ways around that.
Indianadaycare 04:27 PM 08-16-2014
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
I empty the poop into the toilet first, then use a grocery bag and put it outside. (unless it's messy of course, then it stays in the
This is what I do. If it's messy and can't be flushed, I wrap tightly in grocery bag and put in another trash bag that gets tied up and taken out at days end.
Josiegirl 04:45 PM 08-16-2014
I open windows and turn on the ceiling fans. Plus I double bag them up tight. The smell only lingers a couple minutes.
This fall I'll have 4 in diapers. Not looking forward to it.
Meeko! How do you do it with that many in diapers?? You must be changing diapers all day! Just when you get one changed, it's time to start all over again.
Blackcat31 08:18 AM 08-17-2014
I can't do this unfortunately. My daycare is in our walkout basement and I don't want to put a garbage can by the door where parents walk in. I want it to smell good when they enter, lol!
My trash can is in the entryway/cubby room. I have a regular lidded trash can (13 gal size) I've never had issues with smell.

I have one of those automatic air freshener spray things that shoots a spray of air freshener out every 10, 20 or 30 minutes (depending on what time I set it for).

Its similar to those you see in public rest rooms.

I buy odor ban for tough smells that need immediate control.

I've never had a parent say it smells and as a matter of fact, I have several who comment on how nice it does smell.

I take the trash out every day too.
MOM OF 4 06:50 PM 08-17-2014
I'd keep the windows cracked and also like one of those $1 air freshener things that you open and the gel dissolves. They work pretty well as long as you change them out every 2-3 weeks, and no spray = no triggering allergies/asthma.
drseuss 05:55 PM 08-18-2014
One thing I do on top of taking the diapers out after every round is I leave the diaper pail sit open after hours. It is one of those plastic Sterilite foot-pedal trash cans. Every weekend I put a little bit of bleach solution in it and just let it sit. So far so good.
Cradle2crayons 08:32 PM 08-18-2014
I buy the odor blocking garbage bags made for thhe tiny bathroom cans... The smallest they make. Comes in a HUGE roll. I put the diaper in there... Twist it... Knot it... And then double the bag over... Toss it in a grocery sack and tie that.

It works for me and I have a tube fed child whose poop is the worst I've ever smelled..and some days she alone can have five poops. I only have two in diapers right now and the tube fed little girls little brother only has one a day and just is the normal poop stink(what's normal eh?). Even in a hospital setting I've seen and smelled it ALL.

I can't use scented candles or spray fresh enters because of my little birdies...
Unregistered 06:32 AM 08-19-2014
I store used diapers outside In a tightly lidded can. There is no way I'd leave them inside.
2grls4us 12:48 PM 08-20-2014
My husband is sensitive to the poop smell and almost vomits if he has to change our daughter. I use the diaper genie. It seems to work well. I actually have 2 in my home one for upstairs and one for downstairs (daycare). The price at first seems a bit much but imo worth the purchase. In the beginning I had 3 in diapers and I had to totally change out the rings every other week. They range in price depending on where you shop. The best place I get them is Sam's Club. But otherwise Wal Mart has the cheapest. I tried the generic ones and I didn't like them as well. I just wish Playtex would put out coupons for the refill rings. All of theitems are tax deductions.
Heidi 01:06 PM 08-20-2014
Originally Posted by coolconfidentme:
I tie up the diaper in a grocery bag & deposit in the garbage outside, next to the back door. Works here...
same here. I call them "poop bombs" because I generally have to launch them from the front door towards the garage, then pick them up later when the kiddos are somehow contained (like napping), and put them in the garage garbage. Our garage is attached to the house, but there is no door into the house. Weird design; you go out the front door and down the covered porch to get to the garage.

I have to be careful that someone isn't coming to the house before I launch. While my daycare parents occasionally have to step around the poop bombs, I don't want to hit one of them with one. That is NOT good customer service!
CraftyMom 06:01 AM 10-16-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
My trash can is in the entryway/cubby room. I have a regular lidded trash can (13 gal size) I've never had issues with smell.

I have one of those automatic air freshener spray things that shoots a spray of air freshener out every 10, 20 or 30 minutes (depending on what time I set it for).

Its similar to those you see in public rest rooms.

I buy odor ban for tough smells that need immediate control.

I've never had a parent say it smells and as a matter of fact, I have several who comment on how nice it does smell.

I take the trash out every day too.
Hahaha! This morning I came into the playroom and was greeted by the horrible smell of my husband's work boots! He is a roofer and his boots are stinky Our playroom has a closet that is our "laundry room" and he left his boots in there. I was thinking how gross it was and that parents (and kids) would be arriving very soon and it smelled horrible in there! I got rid of the boots and Lysoled the whole room. I could still smell the boots but it was better, I was embarrassed because there were no kids here to have poopy diapers yet, and I didn't want anyone thinking it was me

Anyway I had two parents comment "It smells so good/clean in here!"

I just laughed inside and thought of this thread
Unregistered 05:14 PM 10-18-2014
Covered can on my deck. Can't stand them inside.
Silly Songs 07:45 PM 10-18-2014
Poo pouri is a spray that one can spray into a toilet before going poop so it doesn't smell bad after you leave the bathroom . The teachers in the baby room at my center swear by it . They spray it on the diaper , I think , then toss it in the container . It has some sort of enzyme that blocks those odors .
Dilley Beans 10:13 AM 10-20-2014
I have a garbage can outside of a window that I can toss my diapers into and take it to the trash every night.

A gal I had my daughter at would put them in a little tote and when she was done with all diapers she'd set them outside the front door. When everyone was down for naptime she'd step outside and dump in her trash can.

If you have to store inside, consider using Essential Oils from DoTerra like Lavender that will not only be strong and beautiful smelling but also calming for the children to inhale - two birds one stone
Tags:diaper genie, odor
Reply Up