Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Playground
Unregistered 07:09 AM 10-20-2017
In the process of buying a daycare and the playground is completely empty. Like two little tykes cars and that’s it. There is a fenced in area with sort of old mulch in it. It needs weeding and new mulch and clearly toys and playground equipment. We automatically started looking at climbers. But then started rethinking. Maybe we should do a more natural hands on “center” type of playground. Mud kitchens, music station to bang on pots and pans and pipes, a playhouse, ride on toys area, a place to dig, etc thrown in with a smaller slide and climbing area. Maybe we need to rethink and look into more inspiring and creative areas. Can you show some of you’re playground areas? Looking for inspiration.
Blackcat31 07:28 AM 10-20-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
In the process of buying a daycare and the playground is completely empty. Like two little tykes cars and that’s it. There is a fenced in area with sort of old mulch in it. It needs weeding and new mulch and clearly toys and playground equipment. We automatically started looking at climbers. But then started rethinking. Maybe we should do a more natural hands on “center” type of playground. Mud kitchens, music station to bang on pots and pans and pipes, a playhouse, ride on toys area, a place to dig, etc thrown in with a smaller slide and climbing area. Maybe we need to rethink and look into more inspiring and creative areas. Can you show some of you’re playground areas? Looking for inspiration.
Here are some more threads about playgrounds

https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=playground
hwichlaz 07:31 AM 10-20-2017
Depending on your state regs and age group,

I really like the centers that have wood blocks (just sanded lumber cut into manageable sizes) for the kids to build with. They build their own little obstacle courses etc.
storybookending 07:38 AM 10-20-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I run a small daycare (6 kids) I’ve only been at this a little over a year so I haven’t got around to making my playground area the way I want it yet. There are ton of ideas on what you describe on Pinterest.

I tried to upload a photo of my backyard but it failed twice now so I gave up. It’s pretty modest. Swingset with 3 swings & a babyswing and a big kid slide. Sandbox beneath. A little tykes climber and a child sized picnic table. I have a shed that houses a pack n play for when I have a baby and an exersaucer. Occasionally I’ll throw my current 10.5 month old in those still but most days it’s not needed. In the shed we have adventure toys, bubbles and stuff like that. I also keep a few diapers and wipes for outside changes so we don’t have to run inside if someone poops. Kleenex’s for runny noses, a garbage and stuff like that.
daycarediva 09:03 AM 10-20-2017
My playground has- small swing set with slide/swings in the corner mulched in area. Several small/moveable little tykes slides, a picnic table, music wall, water works wall, kid size chairs to move around, wooden blocks, two sand and water tables, a mud kitchen, bubble station, and a playhouse.

I am SLOWLY eliminating plastic. Picnic table is next on the chopping block.
Unregistered 09:20 AM 10-20-2017
What do you store your wooden blocks in from the weather? Or do you leave them out?
Josiegirl 02:59 PM 10-20-2017
We set up a Fairy Garden area. It kept the bigger kids busy quite a bit this past summer. Our gardening area did too. We have a bench, a seat on either side of a little table where the older kids played cards, or whatever they felt like doing. I have an 8-in-1 without the middle tunnel thingie. I took it apart a couple years ago and could not for the life of me get that tunnel back in so basically it's 2 slides with climbers. I also have a garden bridge which they love playing on. And I got 2 big old tires, threw a plank across them and I swear they play with that more than anything else. I also have a good-sized sandbox, an old playhouse and an old play kitchen.
Is there anyplace you can get wooden stepping stones? One of my former dcds got us a whole bunch of them and we used them for a couple summers, until they started cracking apart.
Tags:outdoor play, playground - equipment
Reply Up