Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>multi child discounts
ilgirltrist11 02:08 PM 07-07-2015
What are your takes on multi child discounts? I am wondering if it's a good idea to do this or not. Opinions appreciated!
LysesKids 02:15 PM 07-07-2015
Originally Posted by ilgirltrist11:
What are your takes on multi child discounts? I am wondering if it's a good idea to do this or not. Opinions appreciated!
Are you licensed or licensed exempt/registered? If you are the latter it doesn't make any sense because you are already limited to just 3 kids. Why cut your income - it doesn't cost any less to feed & care for 2 kids from same family then it does for 2 kids from separate families
ilgirltrist11 02:17 PM 07-07-2015
I am recently licensed.
TXhomedaycare 02:28 PM 07-07-2015
I did it when I first opened and it worked great. I just did a small discount though. We are already a lot cheaper than daycare centers.
Leigh 02:38 PM 07-07-2015
My spaces cost $XXX per week. Period. I don't give a discount. I honestly can't think of ANY reason to. I can sell the space to someone else willing to pay full price. The siblings don't cost me less money, they OFTEN are MORE work than singles, and there is a bigger risk to me (a parent could pull 3 kids without notice, rather than just 1). NO WAY would I sell a product worth $150 a week for $75, $100, even $145!
daycare 02:58 PM 07-07-2015
I took this line from someone on here.

I do not discount the services or care i provide for your child, therefore i can not offer a discount.

I see it this way. We don't get a disount on their food, supplies or etc, so why should we offer one to them. In my years of experience, siblings are usually always harder than dealing with single family child. Siblings will always fight with each other and create more work with one another.

I do not offer siblings or multi child discounts. Also last thing to think about it that when one leaves, normally they both leave.
Thriftylady 03:17 PM 07-07-2015
I have set my rates as low as I possibly can to get started up. If I lower them anymore, I will have to reduce something in my quality (arts and crafts, printing paper, etc). I refuse to lower what I offer in my program, so I don't. I read on here someone once say "the same parents won't ask for a discount on the second happy meal, and they wouldn't get one". I love that analogy.
Controlled Chaos 03:21 PM 07-07-2015
I think there is sometimes a little less work for a sibling set than 2 families. 1 newsletter for 2 kids, 1 parent to contact if I have to close...I mean its not huge, but its there.

I gave a small discount to a current set of siblings, they are part time, I needed to fill the spots. I probably won't offer it in the future, but its not a huge deal for me.
ilgirltrist11 04:26 PM 07-07-2015
I really appreciate the responses! Thanks so much to all of you who responded. Any other responses are greatly appreciated as well
Snowmom 04:42 PM 07-07-2015
When I first started, I gave a discount for siblings. I needed to fill spaces and thought it would be a good selling point.
Really...it's not.
The good selling point about my program IS my program.

Then I also realized that having siblings is actually harder.
If one is sick, you can almost guarantee the other is going to come down with it. Of course it's never at the exact same time, and I never felt comfortable saying "sorry mom, you need to keep Johnny home too today because he's probably incubating the same plague that Susie is home sick with". kwim?

Then there's the sibling fighting... ugh.

And I offer 5 days free family vacation time (yearly) to all my families, so I'm down in finances double when they are on vacation.

As well as what the others have mentioned, it just doesn't make sense to me to offer a discount on my awesome services when I could pretty easily fill the space now with a full price family.
Reply Up