Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Front Door
Unregistered 10:06 AM 10-17-2018
For you in home providers, how do you teach kids not to run and open the door whenever someone knocks? I realize not everyone has the type of layout where kids can get to the front door, but my main play area is my living room, which is the first room you walk into when entering my house. A gate wouldn’t really work because my entryway is quite wide and open. So every time someone knocks or rings the doorbell all the kids go running to the front door. They even know how to unlock it. I’ve told them that only I answer the door and how it might not be mom or dad at the door, but as soon as they hear that knocking all rules are out the window. Any advice?
Blackcat31 10:13 AM 10-17-2018
Boundaries.

My kids recognize and understand boundaries.
Even a rolled up towel can be a boundary line.

Something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGa9BURyIw0&t=27s
Baby Beluga 10:30 AM 10-17-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Boundaries.

My kids recognize and understand boundaries.
Even a rolled up towel can be a boundary line.

Something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGa9BURyIw0&t=27s
Yup!

My classroom is the front room of my home. I have a small black rug (we have all tile) in front of the door. No one is allowed on the black rug unless their parent is here. It doesn't long for the kids to learn.
Josiegirl 10:34 AM 10-17-2018
I was never able to teach my dcks with visual boundaries. Well a couple listened but others did not. I had to install a slide chain at the top of the door but I finally had to put a door knob cover on because my 2 yo dcg is forever opening the door when she knows momma is here. And with the colder weather coming, even just opening the door a few inches wasn't acceptable.
BrynleeJean 10:43 AM 10-17-2018
i have those child proof knob things on all the doors i don't want the children going through. That includes the front door so the kids can't access it.

But i will say it is a real struggle getting pre k age kids to not follow me to the door and greet parents with me. They want to tell the parents all about the childs day and I'm constantly like "go play DCK" with this look that says i think we are going to have to have a talk about you following me to the door
littlefriends 11:47 AM 10-17-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
For you in home providers, how do you teach kids not to run and open the door whenever someone knocks? I realize not everyone has the type of layout where kids can get to the front door, but my main play area is my living room, which is the first room you walk into when entering my house. A gate wouldn’t really work because my entryway is quite wide and open. So every time someone knocks or rings the doorbell all the kids go running to the front door. They even know how to unlock it. I’ve told them that only I answer the door and how it might not be mom or dad at the door, but as soon as they hear that knocking all rules are out the window. Any advice?
I have a big rug at my front door and I teach mine they aren’t allowed on it until their grown up is here. They can go to the rug but not onto it. I had the same problem and even had a couple kids with pinched fingers because it had gotten so bad they were fighting over who would open or shut the door and parents would get crowded by a bunch of little kids when they came in to drop off or pick up. We joke now the rug is the “safe spot” for adults
sharlan 11:59 AM 10-17-2018
Mine are taught from day 1 that only adults are allowed to touch the door knob.
sahm1225 06:45 PM 10-17-2018
“Only grownups open doors”. The only problem I had was when parents were leaving for the day, they would let their kids open the door
It took just a few reminders to the parents for that one. The kids learn from the start that only adults can touch the door knob.
For a while, when they hear someone knocking, they used to yell ‘Come in’ (even though Door was locked!). Now they say ‘just a minute’
lovemykidstoo 07:36 PM 10-17-2018
I just rinse and repeat daily when someone comes to the door that they're to stay in the living room. I have the same setup. Literally 3 feet in and you're in the living room. My daughter at 3 yrs old "nearly severed" her thumb slamming a door, so I'm a freak when it comes to fingers and doors. I tell all the kids and parents that, so kids are not allowed by the door at all.
DaveA 03:34 AM 10-18-2018
Originally Posted by sahm1225:
“Only grownups open doors”. The only problem I had was when parents were leaving for the day, they would let their kids open the door
It took just a few reminders to the parents for that one. The kids learn from the start that only adults can touch the door knob.
For a while, when they hear someone knocking, they used to yell ‘Come in’ (even though Door was locked!). Now they say ‘just a minute’
This is what I do from day one. We have a transition area at the door- bamboo by the door-carpeted rest of the area. DCKs know not to step onto the bamboo without an adult.
Unregistered 05:19 AM 10-18-2018
I’m really going to need to start enforcing the boundaries. It scares me too when they all start running to the door that someone is going to get hurt.
Chicupfront 06:37 AM 10-18-2018
When my littles hear a knock or the doorbell, they know to sit. Stop and sit on the floor, wherever you are. They can continue to play nicely, but must remain sitting. It took a lot of practice, and an occasional small treat to learn, but it’s automatic now. I use it to stop the crowding of parents. It was becoming stressful on all the adults, me included. When the parent leaves and the door is shut, they get right up.
Ariana 10:11 AM 10-19-2018
I am lucky because my door knob is sticky and it takes muscle to open it. Thought about fixing it with some WD-40 but I kinda like the kids not being able to open it!!

I think child proof knob thingys would work perfectly!
Unregistered 11:59 AM 10-19-2018
Great suggestions! I’m not even sure if they make doorknob covers that fit over the type of doorknobs that I have but I’m going to look into that. I also need to teach boundaries because it’s not just opening the door that’s the problem, but 4-5 kids all running to my front door at the same time scares me. And then they are all trying to talk to the parent that just arrived and are under their feet and I don’t want all the kids in my entryway. Thank you blackcat for the video clip, that was really helpful.
Tags:locked doors, safety issues
Reply Up