Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Update: Late Drop-offs of DCG, UGH
LaLa1923 07:40 AM 04-04-2013
Nothing has changed with DCG, mom still always drops off late. She really has to be on time for work but I guess she doesn't care. It's not like she's actually spending time with dcg, they always get up late. (Then they have to rush here)
This is seriously stressing me out bc this happens every day. It really doesn't make my day any better bc then she arrives cranky, tired, and upset. It's making it hard to get her on a schedule and she's been here for 3 months. This morning I texted mom at 8:45- "Is DCG coming today?"......nothing for like 10 minitues......."Yes, we woke up late again. She didn't sleep well last night so I didn't either. Dad will be bringing her in a little while"
"OK, well what time is that?"............."He is supposed to be at work at 9am and he's still in bed, so I guess she will be there before 10." (that was at 9:05)

It's 10:30 and DCG still isn't here!

There's always no notice! I feel like this is very disrespectful! DCG is 9mo BTW.

I'm thinking about implementing a new policy of a 30 minute window to drop-off and no drop-offs after 8:30, unless previously arranged.....

How does this sound??What would you do?
MyAngels 07:52 AM 04-04-2013
I have a no drop off rule after 9:00 a.m. unless it's arranged well in advance (IOW don't call me at 8:59 a.m. to arrange ). If I don't hear from them by 9:00 a.m. they are considered out for the day.
LaLa1923 07:59 AM 04-04-2013
Mom just sent me a message and said, "Sorry, I thought DAD would have been there by now but he just text me saying that they would be on their way soon."

I said, "So did I, please remember - no drop-offs between 12-2 because of naptime."

Their contracted time is 8 am!
daycarediva 09:52 AM 04-04-2013
I started a policy about no drop offs after 9 because of a family like this, they would oversleep (no idea how some people keep their jobs) and drop off at 10 or 11 and say "dcb won't nap today he just woke up!" I told them I was going to have to start calling them for pickup when he wouldn't nap (and I DID-HA!) AND implemented this policy. They are still clients and dcm is now on time! I HATE messing up our schedule and waiting to start our day.
akpayne 10:02 AM 04-04-2013
I dont allow drop off after 9am. It disrupts the other kids and gets us out of our routine. Also, I have activities and field trips planned. I don't have time to wait around for people to wake up!
Thetotspot 02:31 PM 04-04-2013
Op...i feel for you. In january i took on a new child. Mom likes to no call no show or to show up hours late...i mean like 3 or 4 hours late and act like its nothing. So...a couple weeks ago i wrote my cell number and daycare number on her bill...explained to her as simpky as possible (as my backbone hasnt come in yet) "i wrote my phone numbers down for you in case you are late or baby is sick". I kid you not we did 5 no call no shows in the two weeks to follow...one call for not coming...and one showing up really late saying child wasnt coming. No problem really...parent is out of free days and is going to pay for those absences...but its the respect issue. So i finally got the nerve to say something...she walks in...heart starts pumpking...come on...demand respect i tell myself. I was saved when another parent showed up and this is how i handled it "oh im glad ive caught you both together...effective immediately i need a call at least a minimum of fifteen minutes before scheduled drop off if we are not using childcare that day or if we will be more than fifteen minutes late." finally...mom calls today before drop off...they will be 5 minutes late. Thank you. *backbone seed planted and watered* but if she does it again, ill probably stew some more before i finally say something again. Lol.
Blackcat31 03:27 PM 04-04-2013
I personally don't feel right about restricting the time in which they can drop off their child as I feel that any parent who wants to spend additional time with their child should be allowed to do so.

Especially in light of the other venting we do about parents who bring their children to daycare when they aren't working.

What I do have implemented though is a parent MUST call me BEFORE their scheduled drop off time to let me know they aren't coming at the scheduled time and to let me know the new drop off time.

If they don't call me to notify me of the later drop off, then I fill their space with a drop in child or simply count them as absent and not allow them any services for that day.

It's all about communication and respect....two VERY easy and free things to do.
Heidi 04:53 PM 04-04-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I personally don't feel right about restricting the time in which they can drop off their child as I feel that any parent who wants to spend additional time with their child should be allowed to do so.

Especially in light of the other venting we do about parents who bring their children to daycare when they aren't working.

What I do have implemented though is a parent MUST call me BEFORE their scheduled drop off time to let me know they aren't coming at the scheduled time and to let me know the new drop off time.

If they don't call me to notify me of the later drop off, then I fill their space with a drop in child or simply count them as absent and not allow them any services for that day.

It's all about communication and respect....two VERY easy and free things to do.
I agree, except in situations where now the kiddo is so far off schedule, that they will be off-kilter the whole day.

My 9mo pt dcg gets up at 5:30, gets a nap at 9-10, and again at 12:30-3. Last week, dad decided to let her sleep until 8, and mom wanted him to wake her up and bring her for breakfast at 8:30.

I said ahh...wait a minute. Now, she will not sleep from 9-10, but won't make it to even close to 12:30, and will be fussing the whole morning. With 3 babies here, I REALLY didn't want to listen to that, plus the other 2 fussing because she's fussing, plus my toddler fussing because whenever anyone else cries, he feels compelled to cry too. He can't be left out...lol

Mom ended up getting annoyed about it and keeping her home (they were both working at home). Sorry...I've got 4-6 kids here every day, not one. I HAVE to have things organized and good routines, or I couldn't do my job.

I really try to be flexible, but there are some things I can't bend on.
LaLa1923 04:57 PM 04-04-2013

It's one thing if they are spending time together, but quite another if they just come late bc they woke up late. It is all about communication and respect.

I also feel like giving them an hour to drop off is plenty, I've got things to do.
momofboys 05:59 PM 04-04-2013
Originally Posted by LaLa1923:
It's one thing if they are spending time together, but quite another if they just come late bc they woke up late. It is all about communication and respect.

I also feel like giving them an hour to drop off is plenty, I've got things to do.
ITA - for me it messes up my morning, I do preschool drop off & pickup, we go for walks, to the library for storytime. If they are not timely it can affect my day & I don't feel they should be able to dictate my day for me, at least not in that manner & please don't get me started on kids sleeping in & then missing their nap or not wanting to nap
LaLa1923 04:21 AM 04-05-2013
Originally Posted by momofboys:
ITA - for me it messes up my morning, I do preschool drop off & pickup, we go for walks, to the library for storytime. If they are not timely it can affect my day & I don't feel they should be able to dictate my day for me, at least not in that manner & please don't get me started on kids sleeping in & then missing their nap or not wanting to nap
so how do you handle it?
countrymom 06:21 AM 04-05-2013
I had a family like this, and I took all the kids and left. Go take them out, or if you can't, stay downstairs and don't answer the door and pretend you are not home. They will get the hint. And when they text you tell them that you had plans with the kids and you weren't waiting anymore considering they are suppose to be at your house at 8am. It may take 2 or 3 times of you leaving, but they'll get it.

how do these people keep their jobs.
Blackcat31 06:36 AM 04-05-2013
Originally Posted by LaLa1923:

I still disagree. I understand you have things to do but what makes the things you have to do any more important than what they have to do.

I personally wouldn't focus so much on their arrival time as I would the child's behavior. If they let her sleep in and she won't sleep for you then or is disruptive to the other kids....send her home.

Don't let ONE child's behavior affect the group as a whole. When you focus on the child's behavior rather than the parents' arrival time......you are giving the issue back to the parent to deal with and forcing them to take responsibility for what they do at home. That is how I teach my families what respect is. (well...the ones who don't know)

When you make a cut off time for drop offs, then a parent takes that as dictating their day/time.

I can only be responsible for what happens on my time so that's how I handle it.....IME, there is far less resistance from parents this way.

Originally Posted by momofboys:
When we have plans to go somewhere or do something...we do it. I don't wait for others.

Like I said in my original post, I require parents to call BEFORE they are going to be late. If they call and say they will be 15 minutes late but we are leaving to go to the library, I would simply tell them that the late drop off won't work for me and that they will either need to arrive on time or wait until we come back. (I NEVER allow parents to drop off anywhere other than the daycare).

Again, if a child slept in and then is disruptive for nap time, (or any activity) I send them home rather than reprimand the parent for the late drop off.

There are hundreds of families out there that are chaotic, crazy, unscheduled and never on time for anything.

I will NEVER be able to change that so I change what I can and leave the rest. I dictate my day. NOT parents. But that goes BOTH ways. I also do not dictate their day either.

There is so much less stress for me that way.
LaLa1923 08:06 AM 04-05-2013
I still disagree. I understand you have things to do but what makes the things you have to do any more important than what they have to do.

I personally wouldn't focus so much on their arrival time as I would the child's behavior. If they let her sleep in and she won't sleep for you then or is disruptive to the other kids....send her home.

Don't let ONE child's behavior affect the group as a whole. When you focus on the child's behavior rather than the parents' arrival time......you are giving the issue back to the parent to deal with and forcing them to take responsibility for what they do at home. That is how I teach my families what respect is. (well...the ones who don't know)

When you make a cut off time for drop offs, then a parent takes that as dictating their day/time.

I can only be responsible for what happens on my time so that's how I handle it.....IME, there is far less resistance from parents this way.

When we have plans to go somewhere or do something...we do it. I don't wait for others.

Like I said in my original post, I require parents to call BEFORE they are going to be late. If they call and say they will be 15 minutes late but we are leaving to go to the library, I would simply tell them that the late drop off won't work for me and that they will either need to arrive on time or wait until we come back. (I NEVER allow parents to drop off anywhere other than the daycare).

Again, if a child slept in and then is disruptive for nap time, (or any activity) I send them home rather than reprimand the parent for the late drop off.

There are hundreds of families out there that are chaotic, crazy, unscheduled and never on time for anything.

I will NEVER be able to change that so I change what I can and leave the rest. I dictate my day. NOT parents. But that goes BOTH ways. I also do not dictate their day either.

There is so much less stress for me that way.
Maybe I'm confusing people....... I'm ok with them dropping off later but it can't throw off our day. (Naps, lunch, etc) I also need advance notice. Thank you for the advice on the child, that is where my issue is. She came upset and cranky.....
countrymom 08:10 AM 04-05-2013
really, dropping her off late doesn't bother her. Heck it would bother me to no end. I expect children at a certain time, I like schedual, I like know when the child will come. Its easy to say to continue on, but it would bother me to no end.

heck, those parents are disrepecting you. They are disrespecting your rules and the contract that they signed. Basically what they are saying (by droping off late is) that its their way and they don't care what you have planned. Nip it in the butt.
EAP 09:37 AM 04-05-2013
I agree with having a drop off cut off - I never had one until recently and I like not waiting around for kids to arrive. I also did 9am because of snack and circle time. Honestly I never had a reason to do this when some parents were abusing my niceness and using me as a drop in service - which I am not. I also had to limit pickups and drops offs to once a day because parents coming getting kids taking them to appointments and bringing them back? Yeah that doesn't work for me - especially when the parent was home the remainder of the day!
Reply Up