Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>School Age and Summer... Vent
craftymissbeth 11:32 AM 06-13-2013
My 6 year old DS just woke up my two 1 year old DCKs for the third time.

And now he's stomping around so they won't go back to sleep. I'm at the end of my rope and about to cry

Pretty sure I can't deal with this one more day let alone the rest o the summer
Blackcat31 11:34 AM 06-13-2013
I only had to read the title....and immediately thought

(((((HUGS))))))

SA.

Vent.

Enough said.

You have my sympathies.
Leigh 11:36 AM 06-13-2013
I have a 4-year old who has intentionally woke the other kids so that he has someone to play with. He now has to nap in corner behind my couch (I put his cot there). It's the ONLY way I have been able to keep him from the other kids, and he actually goes to sleep and stays asleep now.
Unregistered 11:40 AM 06-13-2013
Mine are already bored-been out two days.

I can't get them anywhere to do anything. Stressing because they have activities to do but can't get them to them. Don't know any parents from the activities to ask for help. Can't figure out why the activities are during the day when parents work!

Summers are suppose to be fun-not stressful. None of their friends live close by or the ones that do are in childcare during the day.

Oh did I mentioned that its rainy and cold (mid 50's).
Blackcat31 11:53 AM 06-13-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Mine are already bored-been out two days.

I can't get them anywhere to do anything. Stressing because they have activities to do but can't get them to them. Don't know any parents from the activities to ask for help. Can't figure out why the activities are during the day when parents work!

Summers are suppose to be fun-not stressful. None of their friends live close by or the ones that do are in childcare during the day.

Oh did I mentioned that its rainy and cold (mid 50's).
Do you have a local bus service?

How many other children are in your care?

Could you possibly transport your own kids and just bring the DCK's with you?

When my own kids were younger, I hired a college student (previous babysitter so my kids knew them) and paid them to be my kids' "taxi" service. It worked fantastic. She brought them to all their practices and even to the beach a couple times.

Maybe that would be a great solution for you....
Onetiredmom 11:57 AM 06-13-2013
I'm also paying a friend of mine who is currently unemployed to chauffeur my son to his soccer camp and back since I have too many kids to fit into my vehicle. Works well for all involved.
All kids here have at least an hour quiet time; school-agers are expected to read or lie quietly. My own school age kids know if they say they are bored, or wake up the daycare kids, they get to weed two rows of our vegetable garden. Helps to cut down on the whining.
craftymissbeth 02:46 PM 06-13-2013
On top of my fabulous day, DH just wants to argue, argue, argue AND my AC went out. Part of me hopes they can't fix it tonight so I can close tomorrow.
boysx5 03:03 PM 06-13-2013
Oh I know the feeling I dread summer but I think this year will be one of the better ones I have alot less stressful kids
Cradle2crayons 03:11 PM 06-13-2013
I require even the school age kids to take an hour of quiet time... On he opposite end of the house from the nappers. I also have a radio in the napping room to drown out the house noise. Works wonders. The only one who doesn't have quiet time is my ten year old daughter.
cheerfuldom 03:20 PM 06-13-2013
I will do whatever I can in the future to get some summer help. that way I can do some outings with my own kids (I will have four school agers at one time) and the daycare can keep running smoothly. I would also look into summer school, day camps, spending time with relatives, other activities to keep them occupied. I am sure that staying home with babies all day can definitely wear on a school ager.
JoseyJo 06:55 PM 06-13-2013
Originally Posted by Onetiredmom:
My own school age kids know if they say they are bored, or wake up the daycare kids, they get to weed two rows of our vegetable garden. Helps to cut down on the whining.
Love it! I just told my 14yo today that if he woke up any napping kids on his way up to his room for the 10th time during nap that he would be keeping them quietly busy instead of going to the pool- he decided he really didn't need anything upstairs
Play Care 03:26 AM 06-14-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I will do whatever I can in the future to get some summer help. that way I can do some outings with my own kids (I will have four school agers at one time) and the daycare can keep running smoothly. I would also look into summer school, day camps, spending time with relatives, other activities to keep them occupied. I am sure that staying home with babies all day can definitely wear on a school ager.
I do this. One of the things I stressed to my husband and other family members is that I am *working* and just like any working parent, I need to make arrangements for my own kids. When they were dc age, nothing extra required. Now that they are school aged, they are signed up for camps, lessons, etc. When they don't have those, my sub takes them during QT - they walk to the park/splash pad, local pool, etc. during QT. This allows me to get the littles down and actually have a BREAK And I find the school agers tend to behave better when their needs are being met.
Good Luck!
craftymissbeth 05:49 AM 06-14-2013
After thinking about this all night I came up with a few things. Today we're going to do things much differently...

I only have 2 DCKs so an assistant or even hiring a high school kid for a few hours is out of the question although it would be pretty sweet.

1. Nap time is required. I believe he still needs it, but fights it. Even if he can't fall asleep this is the perfect time to get in some summer reading.

2. I'm going to schedule more time for the two of us. Lately I've been so tired that we eat dinner and clean up and then just crash. He needs something to look forward to every day. He's the one and only child I have (and will probably ever have) and I'm forgetting that.

3. He has Summer Academy (basically a fun version of "summer school" provided by the school system) but only until right after lunch and only until the end of June. I'm searching for other programs for him to participate in after it's over.

Thank you everyone for your advice!

I now believe everyone who has mentioned how difficult it is to mix school agers with under 5's. I'm seriously considering only doing before & after school and school day out services when summer's over. I started writing a separate handbook and I'm going to start advertising so I can get my feelers out there.
countrymom 06:02 AM 06-14-2013
I have this rule (my own kids know this rule very well)

if you wake the littles from their sleep you will be FORCED to play with them for the duration of nap time. You will be sectioned off and you get to play.

hehehe, usually takes only one time, and I've never had a problem since.
Oneluckymom 11:54 AM 06-14-2013
I'm at the end of my rope too. I have two SA of my own almost 6 yr girl and 8 yr old boy. And while I'll admit they do keep the DC littles entertained I am ready to ship them to grandmas REAL SOON !!

Lately they have been fighting with each other ALL. THE.TIME! In front of the DC kids too.
craftymissbeth 12:54 PM 06-14-2013
Today wasn't much better

I HAD to get him out of the house, so my mom took him swimming. Yeah, I realize he was rewarded for horrendous behavior, but I have the weekend to hopefully straighten this out.

It's not the only issue I have with him... his behavior is terrible with me anyway... and I am hell bent to set him straight. This was just the last straw and a huge eye opener for me
Josiegirl 05:09 PM 06-14-2013
Five and 6 yo's are so hard. I am no help because the only one I have that sleeps is a year old. No one else sleeps, even the 2 1/2 yo. I let them watch a video, look at books or do puzzles. If I'm lucky I get 30 minutes of quiet(er) time. Oh for the days when the kids were all younger and would sleep 2 hours. It was bliss.

Is he jealous of the dcks? Just curious if something like that might be going on?
craftymissbeth 08:07 PM 06-14-2013
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Five and 6 yo's are so hard. I am no help because the only one I have that sleeps is a year old. No one else sleeps, even the 2 1/2 yo. I let them watch a video, look at books or do puzzles. If I'm lucky I get 30 minutes of quiet(er) time. Oh for the days when the kids were all younger and would sleep 2 hours. It was bliss.

Is he jealous of the dcks? Just curious if something like that might be going on?
That's something I've considered. It's always been just us (and DH heh ) so I have to expect some sort of adjustment period. I've only been doing this for a little while.

With that said, though, he has major behavior issues with me. And me only. I know for a fact that it's my fault... I have fertility issues and just getting pregnant with him was a miracle... and then him surviving as a preemie... and I've let that be my excuse for allowing bad behavior. And that's wrong.

So I have babied him. And let him get away with too, too much.

I just need a behavior adjustment for myself so that we can fix this.
Cradle2crayons 08:45 PM 06-14-2013
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
That's something I've considered. It's always been just us (and DH heh ) so I have to expect some sort of adjustment period. I've only been doing this for a little while.

With that said, though, he has major behavior issues with me. And me only. I know for a fact that it's my fault... I have fertility issues and just getting pregnant with him was a miracle... and then him surviving as a preemie... and I've let that be my excuse for allowing bad behavior. And that's wrong.

So I have babied him. And let him get away with too, too much.

I just need a behavior adjustment for myself so that we can fix this.
I had to do the same adjustment when my daughter was little. She was a miracle baby too and her constant health issues and hospitalization a didn't help her behavior.

I nipped it in the bud. And I'm so glad I did.
Reply Up