Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Calling CPS
Unregistered 07:23 AM 12-05-2015
I read a few threads on here and my thoughts have been on those particular threads "Not in my backyard. I would be calling CPS/Police on these families". Have you ever called CPS/authorities/police on a family?

I have. I was leaving my old job (I wasn't the owner). A mother was under the influence or drugs or alcohol and threatening violence to a child in another room. i thought 'Miss. Jane will called the authorities". Turns out, nothing was done. I called, but due to the lapse of time, it didn't help.
Thriftylady 07:28 AM 12-05-2015
I never have had to. But if I suspected abuse I would, it is the law. I don't take it lightly though and would be very careful to be sure that I really thought something was going on.
Febby 09:09 AM 12-05-2015
Yes, more than once.

The very first center I worked in was a terrible low-end center that followed almost no regs and was super cheap. As a result, a lot of the families were pretty rough. Not all of them were abusing/neglecting their children, but there was quite a few that were incredibly suspicious. That center lost several clients because the family lost their kids.

And then there was family at a different center who never showed up to pick up their kids one night and no one was answering the phone. Once a social worker picked up the kids, I never saw them or their parents again...
Josiegirl 03:18 PM 12-05-2015
I did call my local childcare dept. and ran it by them, to see if it qualified as abuse/neglect. If I had thought it was definite abuse I wouldn't have hesitated but it was iffy. She told me to call and report it, though she didn't think it qualified but if the mom had other reports filed against her already, it would definitely get looked into. So I did make the call but that's as far as it went, to my knowledge.
Blackcat31 04:15 PM 12-05-2015
I have.
Laurel 05:13 PM 12-05-2015
I have called the police on a family in my neighborhood but not one of my families. I didn't know this family. They were several streets away.

I witnessed a little boy about 4 years old completely naked in a locked in porch area as I was walking my daycare kiddies. I stood there quite a while thinking someone would come out for him soon but no one did although there were several cars in the driveway. He didn't look hurt but was calling to us. Not sure if he was lonely or playing around as it was a bit far from the street. The police got my info and phone number and called me back regarding what I observed. I heard them in the background calling to a neighbor asking about where the parents to this child were. Seems like neighbors were related to these people maybe. I just know the police got there but never what happened, if anything.
midaycare 08:00 PM 12-05-2015
Yes, a few times while working in a school system, and once on one of DS's friends' parents. I feel I have always done it wisely.
BumbleBee 01:00 PM 12-06-2015
Yes I have. Once on my own sister.
kendallina 01:41 PM 12-06-2015
Yes, more times than I can count. Had to go to court over one family whose son was taken from them.
auntymimi 11:38 AM 12-07-2015
IMO it's very rare that a child would be better off in the foster system. I try everything in my power to do what I can to help the situation before it comes to that, but I've been very close.
sharlan 12:05 PM 12-07-2015
I have been very fortunate to never had to do this.
Hunni Bee 06:53 PM 12-08-2015
I've had to. Twice on the same family.

The first time for what appeared to be cigarette burns on a dcg's foot that mom tried to tell us happened from her (dcg) playing on the stairs. The second time for a black eye that supposedly happened from the girl falling off a swing at the park, but the child clearly saying her mother did it and was inconsistent with hitting one's face on the ground.

When we called for the second one, we found out that the first one had been closed because we filed it in the wrong jurisdiction .

After they started investigating the mom for the second incident, she pulled dcg and her brother and we never heard from them again.

She was the sweetest child ever and she loved being with us. On her last day, she was so brokenhearted about leaving that just sat in my lap and cried. . I did too. It sucked.
Baby Beluga 09:11 AM 12-09-2015
I too have been fortunate to not have been in this situation before. I have however had to call the sheriff's department on a mom letting her 3 year old ride in the front passenger seat of her car, without a car seat.

Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
I've had to. Twice on the same family.

The first time for what appeared to be cigarette burns on a dcg's foot that mom tried to tell us happened from her (dcg) playing on the stairs. The second time for a black eye that supposedly happened from the girl falling off a swing at the park, but the child clearly saying her mother did it and was inconsistent with hitting one's face on the ground.
I had something sorta similar happen to me when I was about 5/6. We were outside (barefoot) and playing with sparklers for the 4th. Someone put a sparkler that had not completely cooled on the step of our porch and I stepped right on it. Ended up with a big burn on the sole of my foot.
Tags:cps
Reply Up