Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Activity Boxes, Treasure Boxes, Quiet Boxes, etc.
SunflowerMama 08:12 AM 03-23-2010
I have heard these mentioned quite a bit and for those that use them typically what activities are in the "boxes" and what do you use as boxes?

It sounds like a great way to add a bit more organization and also a good way to change up activities throughout the week.

I'm also wondering where you set up the activity boxes. I have one little tikes picnic table but I think I'll have to get another one or a preschool table/chairs to spread the kids out a bit more.

We have weekly themes and I'll change puzzles, books and then some toys but I usually have most of my toys out all the time. I'd like to come up with a way to only do select toys each day so the kids don't get bored with the same toys.

Thanks!
AmandasFCC 12:31 PM 03-23-2010
I have quiet boxes. In them I have some small, easy puzzles, crayons, some little army men and little dinosaurs. I store them in my office and they come out during nap time when one of the other kids wakes up. They can bring a quiet box into the play room and play quietly until the others wake up. Otherwise I have some Find it books like Where's Waldo for quiet time.

The only thing that's changed out regularly in my playspace is my "Imagination Station". The themes that go on there that I've got so far are super market, home, doctor's office, train station. I've got all boys and then my dd who is very tomboyish (probably due to being surrounded by boys 5 days a weeks hehe) so they LOVE those themes.
Crystal 01:01 PM 03-23-2010
someone just posted this on my forum, and I like the ideas:

http://lapbooksbycarisa.homestead.com/TotTrays.html

It takes a few seconds to load, so be patient!
AfterSchoolMom 01:06 PM 03-23-2010
What a great idea! I'm going to implement that for my after schoolers so that they have something to do while the others are finishing their homework. Right now they pretty much just draw or read.
MarinaVanessa 08:34 AM 03-24-2010
Oooh I like that idea. I had no idea that Oriental trading sold those trays! I have old trays (from a school) and they are brown but those colorful trays are so much better!! I'm going to order two sets. One for activities and one for eating. I like to use trays for eating because it keeps the kids in their own space and at the end they can help clean up their own messes. They put their leftover food and trash on it and we sing:

All of us:
Put your trash on your tray, on your tray
Put your trash on your tray
Me: (a little bit louder)
Cuz we're going to what?!
Kids: (louder)
Throw it away!!
All of us:

lol, sorry off the subject. Back on subject now. Here are some boxes that I have:

I use these for centers because it is so easy to keep organized. I don't always have them all out at once. In the picture are a few of the centers that we have out for this week. In the blue box we have the Art center which has paint, sponges, brushes, chalk, crayons, paint smocks etc. In the green box box we have our blocks and manipulates (I mix some together sometimes so they get more creative). This box has large legos, blocks, wooden stackable rings, lincoln logs and a wooden peg board and hammer. Our clear box has alphabet things in it. It has large plastic letter magnets, wooden letter magnets, spongy alphabet letter puzzles in the shape of animals (example: A is for ape so there's a spongy ape with the letter A in it that pops out) and our alphabet puzzle.

I love these boxes. I purchased them from Ikea recently for $5 a bin (lids are separate) and they are stackable if you purchase the lids. They each come with wheels which roll on floor or on carpet. The kids love them because I just stack them against the wall (2 boxes high) and they bring them out when they want to play with them. I bought see-through adhesive pockets to stick to the front of them but havn't put them on yet. I plan to take photos of what's supposed to go in the bins and put those in the pouches so that the kids know what goes where. The photos will be double sided (same picture on both sides) with one side having a green border and the other side having a red border. Every week I'll have certain bins available to them. If they have a green border they'll be "open" if they have a red they'll be "closed".

I don't have the storage space for all of the extra toys and I just don't feel like digging through the garage everytime I feel like switching out the toys lol. So putting the centers in bins and stacking them along the wall seemed like a great idea. I need to go back though and buy more. I'll use the tray idea I think to incorporate it with the bins. For example I have lots of odds and ends in the science center like magnifying glasses, a scale etc. When we do a project on rocks I can put rocks on a tray with some books about rocks or something and they can pull out the science stuff to measure, weigh and look at the rocks closely or something. Ooh, I'm excited.
SunflowerMama 11:25 AM 03-24-2010
Those tot trays are a great idea!! I'm definitely going to start implementing and just placed an order with Oriental. I also love the storage idea of the hanging shoe organizer with the boxes. I currently use an over the door shoe holder for my diapers/wipes/creams but I like the addition of the boxes.

Great ideas!!
Tags:boxes, quiet boxes, trays
Reply Up