Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Tom Question
Heidi 08:32 AM 09-27-2013
I posted this yesterday or the day before, but I don't think you've seen it, Tom.

If one wanted to start a provider support or interest group, how hard is it to get non-profit status? This would be for the purpose of applying for grants, specifically.
TomCopeland 01:23 PM 09-27-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:
I posted this yesterday or the day before, but I don't think you've seen it, Tom.

If one wanted to start a provider support or interest group, how hard is it to get non-profit status? This would be for the purpose of applying for grants, specifically.
Sorry, I didn't see your post.
It would be extremely hard, since tax-exempt non-profit status is only awarded to groups formed for the public good, not for the good of the group. Your group can get a non-profit status as an organization fairly easily (contact your state secretary of state's office), but to be eligible for grants I think you must also be tax exempt. Check with the places where you might apply for grants to see whether or not your group needs to be tax exempt.
Heidi 01:30 PM 09-27-2013
Originally Posted by TomCopeland:
Sorry, I didn't see your post.
It would be extremely hard, since tax-exempt non-profit status is only awarded to groups formed for the public good, not for the good of the group. Your group can get a non-profit status as an organization fairly easily (contact your state secretary of state's office), but to be eligible for grants I think you must also be tax exempt. Check with the places where you might apply for grants to see whether or not your group needs to be tax exempt.
ok, thank you! Have a great weekend.

Will you be at WECA next month? I met you at a seminar once many years ago.
TomCopeland 02:17 PM 09-29-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:
ok, thank you! Have a great weekend.

Will you be at WECA next month? I met you at a seminar once many years ago.
Yes, I will be doing some workshops at the WECA conference in Wisconsin in October. Come up and say hi.
Tags:501c3, non-profit
Reply Up