Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Cloth Diapering Issue
BGM 07:29 AM 05-03-2019
So, one of my cloth diapering parents just asked if I could start reusing the wraps because they're starting to wear from all the washing they're having to go through since I don't reuse them here.

When I first opened I would do that, but I found a.) it's just another step in my already hectic day, b.) they would sometimes not be enough if their kid poops more than one time a day and then I'm SOL and c.) I just don't want to deal with that, so I now require my CD families to bring enough diapers for me to use each one once.

Not to mention, I'm pretty sure they've had these wraps since their oldest was a baby. She has to be at least 6 or 7 by now. Some of these diapers have buttons missing. Some have holes in the top. I'm just amazed that instead of getting new wraps, or having their child use disposables, even if it's just at daycare, they would put that responsibility on me.

Let's not even get into the fact that this kid ALWAYS has diaper rash. I thought, maybe it's me. Maybe I'm not changing him often enough, but sure enough, on the first day of daycare after being gone all summer, he comes in with a rash. Once when it was really bad, I suggested using disposables, just till it clears up, and the mom flat out said I really don't want to do that. I'm really against disposables. I get that they're bad for the environment, but when your kid's leg is bleeding and weeping from a rash, maybe 15 diapers in the grand scheme of things is passable?? But nope!

I'm so sick and tired of these guys and their diapers. My other families have no problem with the diapers. They come pre-assembled each day with disposables in case of emergencies and outings. If my other families can do this, then this one should be able to as well. Right??

I'm so annoyed with them right now. This policy has been in effect since September. It's May. Stop trying to change the game.
BGM 07:43 AM 05-03-2019
It's not uncommon for them to give me literally 3 cloth wipes to use all day and call it good. I just used all three for a huge poop. Good thing I've recently started to request back up wipes. My backup wipes today are three washcloths I can use now.

Whew!
knoxmomof2 08:02 AM 05-03-2019
I have had one CD family. I hated it. Maybe they didn't know what they were doing or didn't use the right ones or something, but he always leaked. He could be in one for an hour and pee and it would leak. Then, they doubled up pads and we still had leaks. They'd end the day with a bag full of wet diapers and outfits. Not sure how that was more economical or ecological..... Thankfully, they dropped it eventually.

I'm sure when you know what you're doing, it's fine but I certainly didn't and neither did they. Plus, having poopy cloth diapers just sitting in a bag... Ugh.... Not for me...

3 cloth wipes for the day?! Does she ever change her child? I would use that much on my 2.5 year old DCB that rarely poops here....you need at least 1 to wipe them at each change. Wth?
BGM 09:13 AM 05-03-2019
I've been working with cloth diapers for about 3 years now. I get that you can just reuse the inserts, but I don't want to deal with separating soggy diapers every time I need to change a kid, you know?

I guess she figures if he gets changed 3x/day, 3 wipes would suffice, but that's not how life works!
Ariana 09:57 AM 05-03-2019
Cloth diapers are the worst at daycare! I personally cannot do them. If you have policies in place make sure they follow them because you are doing them a huge favour by accommodating!

Run out of diapers? Call for pickup.
BGM 12:13 PM 05-03-2019
Mannn...I'm still thinking about it. I'm so frustrated with them!
What should I say to mom at pickup? She always tries to be a "friend" so this makes it even more awkward...
Blackcat31 12:35 PM 05-03-2019
Originally Posted by BGM:
Mannn...I'm still thinking about it. I'm so frustrated with them!
What should I say to mom at pickup? She always tries to be a "friend" so this makes it even more awkward...
I like cloth diapers. I wish all my families chose to use them.

HOWEVER, I would not put up with what you are dealing with. I would give mom a list of things you require each day (specifically state exactly how many diapers and wipes she must provide) and either do not accept the child into care without the items or call for pick up when you run out of diapers or wipes.

As for the extra steps mom wants you to do in order to save them money or whatever, just tell her you've thought about it and have decided no, it wont work because the only reason you allow cloth diapers in the first place is they are no more difficult than disposables (as far as process goes) and IF they are going to make it more difficult, you'll just have to go back to using disposables only.

If mom pitches a fit use NannyDe's solution of attaching a fee for it. Tell mom you dont' have time for all this extra (even minutes add up fast in GROUP care) so you'll have to hire an assistant and pass the cost off onto her. Or just tell her you're going to implement a cloth diaper fee to cover the extra time it takes you. Make the fee HIGH enough that mom wont' want to pay it but if she does, you'll be nicely compensated for the extra work.

I don't know if any of those solutions/suggestions would work for you but the ONE thing I would insist on is the amount of wipes/diapers they supply. YOU decide how many must be brought each day and then don't accept less. Buy a box of disposables diapers and wipes and tell mom if you are forced to use them due to them not sending enough that you charge per diaper/wipe. I'd charge like $5 per.

Other than that, I got nothing. All my cloth diaper families were good about sending plenty of everything and none had issues with using disposables when I had to. If I had other experiences I probably wouldn't be accepting of cloth at all.
happymom 03:33 PM 05-03-2019
I have cloth diapered at 2 different daycares.

Neither allowed cloth wipes. I NEVER used disposable wipes at home, so I would buy a case on amazon and give daycare one bag at a time and just keep it in my car...when they were running low, they'd let me know and I'd give another bag.
Both required enough diapers for a full diaper change (I.E. did not reuse covers)

I had a set of diapers just for daycare (called all-in-ones or AIO) so each diaper was just one piece and as simple to use as a disposable. BUT cloth diapers are not perfect, they DO get old and can leak (if the outer plastic part starts cracking).

I just had the girls in the daycare let me know if they were experiencing leaks in any particular diaper and I would retire it (and replace with a new one).

A lot of people expect to them to last through multiple kids, but the truth is...some will and some won't....
janell999 06:36 PM 05-03-2019
I have a DCK that uses cloth diapers too. They leak almost every day. The mom says she strips them often to prevent buildup but I almost always have to put new clothes on the kid because a diaper leaked through. I go through maybe 6 diapers a day because I try to change the kid very often so the diapers won't leak. they mostly leak at nap time or when the kid is in the jumperoo or swing for a while. They do bring disposables as a back up so if I don't feel like doing cloth diapers that day I don't have to. but I never use cloth wipes nor have they ever asked me to.
braign 07:45 PM 05-03-2019
I love cloth diapers, I used them on my own child, and the 4 month old I'm short-term babysitting uses them too. I would not reuse covers. I would not be comfortable wiping them out or anything, or potentially running out if the baby had an extra one or two poops than 'planned'.

The baby's parents never push boundaries but are quite disorganised. They send 35 diapers and 6 cloth wipes, and I use at least 2 per diaper change (I put one over the area to protect against random peeing lol). And they always forget a wet bag, so I use a grocery bag.

It's not a deal-breaker for me, just a minor annoyance. If it became more annoying (i.e if I didn't already have disposable wipes at home, or if they didn't send any disposable wipes), I'd call them to leave work to bring some over, then each morning I'd count how many of each thing, and send them on an errand to grab more (with their child) before I'd take him. I wouldn't refuse care because they live 5 mins away, but I'd definitely make it inconvenient for them to keep forgetting.
Tags:annoying, cloth diaper policies, cloth diapers, parents - ask too much
Reply Up