Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Oh The Injustice Of It All!
Josiegirl 03:48 AM 08-01-2013
I have one little guy, thankfully he's entering kindergarten soon. He's *always* questioning why so-n-so gets to do this, so-n-so has this, blah blah blah and he doesn't. Right to the point where it makes me very angry because I hear it so much. He's so smart and 'with it', a master manipulator, but to him life is just one injustice after another. I tell him "Life ISN'T fair" and I leave it at that. When I hear "I want that!" I respond with "I want a lot of things too, like a vacation!".

But this constant "it's not fair" really drives me up a wall. And this is the same kid who has brought in his mom's Kindle many times and has his own ipod. My goodness, *I* don't have those kinds of things. Course I let him know that.

Counting the weeks......
JoseyJo 04:24 AM 08-01-2013
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:

Counting the weeks......

Happy Hearts 07:11 AM 08-01-2013
Remind him to be grateful for what he has whenever he says something is not fair.

He might just get as tired of you saying, "be grateful" whenever he says "it's not fair."
Starburst 07:29 PM 08-01-2013
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I have one little guy, thankfully he's entering kindergarten soon. He's *always* questioning why so-n-so gets to do this, so-n-so has this, blah blah blah and he doesn't. Right to the point where it makes me very angry because I hear it so much. He's so smart and 'with it', a master manipulator, but to him life is just one injustice after another. I tell him "Life ISN'T fair" and I leave it at that. When I hear "I want that!" I respond with "I want a lot of things too, like a vacation!".

But this constant "it's not fair" really drives me up a wall. And this is the same kid who has brought in his mom's Kindle many times and has his own ipod. My goodness, *I* don't have those kinds of things. Course I let him know that.

Counting the weeks......
I would also tell him "That is between me and So-and-so" (or 'So-and-so and I').

That reminds me of a thing on I saw earlier today on FB (posted at the bottom). Great comeback for if child says something is unfair or they are bored; or just a general rule in thankfulness and being a good person (I think they have more, it's called 'Parenting Done Right').

ETA: I noticed it's hard to see the words in the picture, here is a link with all of them: http://imgur.com/gallery/LW9Zs
Attached: Life isn't fair.jpg (10.8 KB) Life isn't fair 2.jpg (7.7 KB) your not board.jpg (10.3 KB) 
Tags:fairness
Reply Up