Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Reflux Baby, Puking Whole Feed Crying Incessantly For Hours
Unregistered 01:14 PM 01-09-2018
This is a 41/2 month old,on meds,small feeds,burped often. Today I am wearing a whole feed of puke from waist down,all over couch and carpet. There is no warning when an eruption will occur.I've held upright for 20-30 min.after feeds, baby finally had to be put into pnp to attempt nap....4 hrs of crying today(at least its not screaming today). Consoled often,tried burping,changed,etc. The other kids are being affected/woken from naps too soon,etc. I did this to myself...baby is 2-3 days a week at most because of parents work,they pay full time rate to guarantee having access to days needed m-f.GMA also cares for him. I know he has days like this at home. I'm unable to get changed as there is just me and littles. What do or would y'all do in this situation? I must try and stay sane and keep this income,only 3 kids....side bit of info....to keep ACA health insurance I can't make much $$ and we are barely making ends meet. Soon to go on Medicare which is not free after all. This forum is my go to,thanks to all the providers for their input on so many areas of daycare. In 30 yrs its only recently every new baby seems to have 'relfux' what's with that? Thank you all again.
Mom2Two 01:18 PM 01-09-2018
I would ask dcm to talk to doctor about putting the child on meds for the pain of the reflux. The child might need a different formula that leaves the stomach more quickly. There's a Good Start Comfort Proteins that DD was on when she was little. Not too expensive but digests more easily than full cow milk alternatives.

Also look into the possibility of getting permission to have infant nap reclined, to make it harder for food to come up. The way you hold the infant can also make a difference. Scrunched position might make the food come up more easily.
Blackcat31 01:33 PM 01-09-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
This is a 41/2 month old,on meds,small feeds,burped often. Today I am wearing a whole feed of puke from waist down,all over couch and carpet. There is no warning when an eruption will occur.I've held upright for 20-30 min.after feeds, baby finally had to be put into pnp to attempt nap....4 hrs of crying today(at least its not screaming today). Consoled often,tried burping,changed,etc. The other kids are being affected/woken from naps too soon,etc. I did this to myself...baby is 2-3 days a week at most because of parents work,they pay full time rate to guarantee having access to days needed m-f.GMA also cares for him. I know he has days like this at home. I'm unable to get changed as there is just me and littles. What do or would y'all do in this situation? I must try and stay sane and keep this income,only 3 kids....side bit of info....to keep ACA health insurance I can't make much $$ and we are barely making ends meet. Soon to go on Medicare which is not free after all. This forum is my go to,thanks to all the providers for their input on so many areas of daycare. In 30 yrs its only recently every new baby seems to have 'relfux' what's with that? Thank you all again.
I understand not wanting to lose income but you are currently losing sanity (as are the other kids enrolled) so I think you need to really weigh your options....

Infant care is hard to find around here so I'd search for a replacement asap. Some times it really isn't worth it.
Unregistered 01:54 PM 01-09-2018
Sounds like baby needs Mom or Dad to stay home.
Cat Herder 05:39 PM 01-09-2018
I have had a couple like that, at about the same age, in the last three years (also with a rash resembling heat rash, often).

The ped I consulted believed it had to do with immune system development between 4-5 months (incidentally the age with the highest risk of SIDS as well). That they have a period of exaggerated response to milk based formula. Not a true allergy. I was told to try a change to Nutramigen for a couple months and it resolved it both times, here. (with parental permission, of course)

I weaned them both back to milk based formula by 6 months, no other issues. Both are still enrolled without dairy issues.
Ariana 07:36 AM 01-10-2018
This is all related to a new prevalance for sensitivity to dairy and soy. So many babies are sensitive and so many DRs have zero clue.

Agree with Cat Herder to switch to a new formula and see if it helps. It can take up to 2 weeks for the change to take effect and for dairy to leave the system so it won’t be an overnight success. According to DR. Sears more than 80% of babies and children are sensitive to dairy. Soy can also be linked in with that so nutrimagen is the best way to go.
daycarediva 09:57 AM 01-10-2018
I have a 4mo who has severe reflux.

We switched formulas THREE TIMES and finally found one that helps (nutramigen).

We went to twice daily reflux med dosing.

We see the pediatrician every two weeks for an updated weight/dosing on the reflux meds.

Different kid. There was back arching/screaming/projectile vomit at EVERY feed.

Now? Once a week, maybe. No arching. No screaming. Happy baby.

I would call for pick up if the screaming is unmanageable or the vomit is horrible. Spit up IS vomit. It's unsanitary.

Put this problem back on the parents. Suggest a formula switch, med switch, BID dosing. ALL can help.

This baby is in pain.
HappyEverAfter 01:24 PM 01-10-2018
I have a 3mth old with awful reflux. Doctor won’t do meds yet because baby is actually gaining weight. Did switch formulas three times and several types of bottles before finding anything that somewhat worked for this little one. Now he will have days where he doesn’t spit up at all and days where he spits up a lot. It’s hit or miss with no rhyme or reason but I’m thankful it is somewhat better. He isn’t fussy usually and sleeps amazingly well so I’m lucky. On the rough days he and I can both go through several outfits though along with numerous burp cloths. I keep a giant bib on him at all times and change that throughout the day. He also sees a chiropractor which seems to help too. I do hold upright for 20 min after feeding, sometimes longer. I am looking forward to him growing out of it though.
As for your little one, the screaming would drive me nuts. Ive got a screamer as well and he is literally on the verge of being termed if he doesn’t stop. It really will make you lose your sanity. Hang in there, it will get better or you will term and either way it will give you your sanity back.
Baby Beluga 08:01 PM 01-10-2018
Oh how I feel for you and this poor mama

My DS (currently 9 months) was a terrible reflux baby. Terrible. I think I have PTSD from his reflux issues I feel like I am the reflux queen now.

Here are my suggestions:

1) Suggest a formula change for LO. Nutramigen or Alimentum, which are both CLOSE to being 100% dairy free. There is a small amount of dairy in them, but it is processed so that MOST babies' bodies ignore the dairy. I personally recommend Alimentum ready to feed. Many children who have dairy issues also seem to have corn issues - Alimentum ready to feed is corn lite, sweeter and thicker than the powder versions of Alimentum and Nutramigen. If those formulas do not work baby may need to be on an elemental formula. This is a last step though after OTC dairy "free" formula and proper medication have been tried.

2) If mom/dad try to thicken formula with cereal, don't allow it to happen on your watch. Reflux babies often also have trouble digesting grains. It's so hard on their tummies right now since they are trying to work through the reflux.

3) Mom/dad need to get that baby on an H2 blocker like zantac and possibly a PPI like prevacid. Try the H2 blocker first and if it doesn't work then add in a PPI. If the pediatrician won't prescribe them, the parents can find the formula to home compound at home based on their child's weight. Some pediatricians are great about prescribing, some are terrible.

4) Chiropractic care can help. Personally it didn't really help my DS, but I have heard many success stories from those who it has helped.

5) What is his feeding schedule now? Sometimes smaller amount more frequently help. Also, what bottle is he on? I personally like Dr. Brown for my reflux guy. Some hate them, some love them. I have also heard good things about MAM and the playtex with the drop ins being good for reflux babies.

6) When feeding burp baby frequently. Like every 2oz.

7) Sometimes bouncer chairs, swings and being held can make reflux worse. I found my LO did best in an exersaucer where he could "stand" after a feed.

Mom/Dad need to take it upon themselves to educate themselves on infant reflux and how to solve it through proper diet and medication. Bottom line is baby is in pain and his throat and mouth are being damaged. Not to mention it is making this baby's life (and yours!) hell.

Some links:

http://www.infantreflux.org/signs-and-symptoms/

http://www.infantreflux.org/medicines/

http://www.infantreflux.org/dosing/

http://www.infantreflux.org/dosing-a...es-h2blockers/

http://www.infantreflux.org/formula-feeding-and-reflux/

It WILL get better. I have a special place in my heart for any provider who cares for a reflux baby
Tags:transitioning - infants to daycare
Reply Up