Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Closing Daycare - Starting Babysitting
Fool78 09:03 AM 02-16-2020
Hi. I’m not sure how to claim my home depreciation for being open only 5 months in 2019. Do I change the percentage for depreciation of home on Form 8829 to the August percentage as that relates to 5 months in business?

Background: I watched 1 child full-time last school year. Since it was full-time, I claimed business expenses and reported my income as a daycare. I stopped watching him at the end of the school year. Now I watch him about once a week for an hour or 2. Since this is infrequently, I am planning on reporting this as babysitting income. Is this correct?
284878 09:37 AM 02-17-2020
Originally Posted by Fool78:
Hi. I’m not sure how to claim my home depreciation for being open only 5 months in 2019. Do I change the percentage for depreciation of home on Form 8829 to the August percentage as that relates to 5 months in business?

Background: I watched 1 child full-time last school year. Since it was full-time, I claimed business expenses and reported my income as a daycare. I stopped watching him at the end of the school year. Now I watch him about once a week for an hour or 2. Since this is infrequently, I am planning on reporting this as babysitting income. Is this correct?
If you are still in your home, Then it's still a Daycare.
If you are in their home then they may have to treat you as an employee and pay taxes on your behalf. However I'd wait for Tom Copeland to weigh in because I could be wrong.
TomCopeland 11:58 AM 02-17-2020
Originally Posted by Fool78:

You are a child care provider entitled to depreciate your home. Add up all the hours you worked in your home for the five months and divide by the total number of hours in five months. Multiply this by your space % and apply your time-space% to house expenses for five months. Change the number on line 5 of Form 8829 to reflect the number of hours in the five months you were in business.
Tags:babysitting, closing, depreciation - home, home depreciation, taxes
Reply Up