Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New DCG Yells In Babies Faces
kristinhomedaycare 04:18 PM 09-02-2015
So we had a pretty mellow group until my part time (friday only) day care girl started coming here every day (2 days ago). She came on Fridays when there was only 1 baby and 2 older kids. She never had a big problem with toddler aggression or anything until this week when she is attending regular days and I now have 3 babies (11 mo, 10 mo, 15 mo) 3 yr old + dcg 23 months. She seems to find the smaller babies 10 mo and 11 mo and runs up to them, screams in there face and takes their toys. She makes them cry every time because they are scared. She seems to be all of a sudden very possessive and wants to take everyone's toys. She is also making a fist and touching them like she would hit them but she has not actually done that. She then tried to shut the pretend fridge door on the 10 mo old and was squishing her in there.

Wondering why the sudden change of behavior and how I should respond.
Rockgirl 04:25 PM 09-02-2015
Oh, #%$& no! How old is she?
Unregistered 04:45 PM 09-02-2015
Oh my! Is she on a trial period for the full time care? I would lessen her days back if this behavior continues for the safety of the babies.
kristinhomedaycare 06:29 PM 09-02-2015
No I don't have a trial period for switching enrollment. Only for when you first enroll. So she is here. Also she left her other daycare to come here full time so I would feel bad putting her parents in a situation. She's 23 months old next week. I may have to be her shadow but even then she keeps screaming at them. It's only been 3 days. Maybe she is just possessive because she is trying to "claim her territory" or something? She is fine with the older kids, just intimidates the babies.
Silly Songs 07:53 PM 09-02-2015
How bad would you feel if she really did hit or hurt one of the babies ? She's very young and doesn't realize the babies are vulnerable. How do you keep them safe if you are changing a diaper or making lunch ?
Unregistered 08:11 PM 09-02-2015
I have put her in the walker when I've needed to do that or in the booster seat eating cheerios while I'm doing those things so far. It's day 3 so I haven't really had a formal plan as of yet.
kristinhomedaycare 09:58 PM 09-02-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have put her in the walker when I've needed to do that or in the booster seat eating cheerios while I'm doing those things so far. It's day 3 so I haven't really had a formal plan as of yet.

Not sure why this said unregistered- this was my response
Laurel 04:06 AM 09-03-2015
Originally Posted by kristinhomedaycare:
Not sure why this said unregistered- this was my response
I think that happens when you're not logged in. (not sure though)
daycarediva 04:14 AM 09-03-2015
Oh heck no! I WOULD tell Mom of this behavior, I would be modeling, giving stern NO's, removing her from a situation, and putting her up at a table when I couldn't shadow her.
Blackcat31 05:35 AM 09-03-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Oh heck no! I WOULD tell Mom of this behavior, I would be modeling, giving stern NO's, removing her from a situation, and putting her up at a table when I couldn't shadow her.
This ^^

My response would be VERY FIRM and swift each and every time.

I would separate her from the group and give ALL my attention to the baby she frightened before tending to her.

I want her to see and feel that what she is doing is NOT okay and that it will NOT be tolerated as acceptable behavior.

If she does it more than once, she would be come my shadow for the remainder of the day.

Rinse and repeat.

Just make sure your response is firm enough and stern enough to drive the point home to her that she is NOT to be aggressive, physically or verbally towards the babies or she will be immediately removed from the group/play area. If necessary, she'd go straight to rest/nap time.

Anything to remove her from the babies for their safety.

IME, the firmer and swifter you are with addressing this behavior the faster she will learn that it is unacceptable.
rosieteddy 07:40 AM 09-03-2015
Set up a play space for her.Playpen ,pack and play anything to remove her from the babies.Everytime she hurts them or screams put her in with a stern no.
Unregistered 11:05 AM 09-03-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
This ^^

My response would be VERY FIRM and swift each and every time.

I would separate her from the group and give ALL my attention to the baby she frightened before tending to her.

I want her to see and feel that what she is doing is NOT okay and that it will NOT be tolerated as acceptable behavior.

If she does it more than once, she would be come my shadow for the remainder of the day.

Rinse and repeat.

Just make sure your response is firm enough and stern enough to drive the point home to her that she is NOT to be aggressive, physically or verbally towards the babies or she will be immediately removed from the group/play area. If necessary, she'd go straight to rest/nap time.

Anything to remove her from the babies for their safety.

IME, the firmer and swifter you are with addressing this behavior the faster she will learn that it is unacceptable.
Been doing all morning. Worked ok. Nap time now. We'll see. She doesn't come until 11 so only had an hour to test it out. Working much better so far. She does seem to get it more when she is removed and I agree not to tend to her first. She will get the attention she wants that way.
Unregistered 11:06 AM 09-03-2015
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
Set up a play space for her.Playpen ,pack and play anything to remove her from the babies.Everytime she hurts them or screams put her in with a stern no.
Trying this now. Will let you know how it goes later today.
Unregistered 07:36 PM 09-03-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Trying this now. Will let you know how it goes later today.
Went much better... looks like we're making progress
Tags:aggressive behavior, yelling
Reply Up