Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>1st Inspections
care-care 07:15 AM 10-25-2010
Hey all Im new here to this forum and to daycare. I have a question about your first inspection that comes with in 90 days. I wondered if they contact you and make appt for the first one or just show up? I am still working a job as I only have one baby part time so far and Id hate to miss the inspector. So if anyone can remember back what happened Also I am in Michigan area. Hudsonville to be exact. Thanks so much!
momofsix 08:08 AM 10-25-2010
Yes, in MI they do call first to make the appointment. Just make sure to go over the rules to make sure you're in compliance. They're especially concerned about your paperwork/records /(emergency plan, fire/tornaado drills, discipline policy,inspections...) at the first inspection (at least for me). I had to show my whole house, even the upstairs where we don't do daycare.
Some things I know others have been written up for locally are
  1. water temp too high (must be under 120 degrees)
    objects too cose to furnace/water heater
    medicines too low in cupboards
    hand lotion kept too low in daycare area

My licensor was really nice, and i had no problems at all during her visit!
I'm in SE Grand Rapids!
Best wisher!
care-care 08:50 AM 10-25-2010
Thanks for the quick response
I have my water heater turned down. man it was like 160 degrees when I checked it. It is now 120 or lower it feels to cold to me well see what inspector says. I have stuff away from furnace. My medicine is above my fridge in cabniet. Im concerned more with diapering area. I was told at my orientaion I could do it in bathroom on floor. with a changing pad under the child.check I have sink and soap check. diapers and wipes in hall closet on way easy- check. but do I need the 3 bottles of cleaning solution to do after then.. like wash sanitize and rinse? I have them mixed up. do I do this after every diaper change? or rather have it available that I could? if needed..for inspection? or a bad blow out ha ha ha
momofsix 09:47 AM 10-25-2010
Originally Posted by cvankampen:
I have my water heater turned down. man it was like 160 degrees when I checked it. It is now 120 or lower it feels to cold to me well see what inspector says. I have stuff away from furnace. My medicine is above my fridge in cabniet. Im concerned more with diapering area. I was told at my orientaion I could do it in bathroom on floor. with a changing pad under the child.check I have sink and soap check. diapers and wipes in hall closet on way easy- check. but do I need the 3 bottles of cleaning solution to do after then.. like wash sanitize and rinse? I have them mixed up. do I do this after every diaper change? or rather have it available that I could? if needed..for inspection? or a bad blow out ha ha ha
After every change it's wash w/soapy water, rinse w/plain water, them sanitize w/ bleach water. It's crazy b/c i've heard from other providers in MI that they're not required to do the 3 step process-i guess is depends on who you have inspect! You can do it on the floor if your floor is a hard and easily sanitized surface. (not on carpet)
care-care 09:58 AM 10-25-2010
so my floor is ceramic tile and i have a changing pad. so i wash rinse sanitize the hard floor under the pad? right? or the pad? sorry Im being so dumb who is your inspector can I ask? Wonder if we have same one in this area?
MyAngels 10:06 AM 10-25-2010
Originally Posted by cvankampen:
I didn't like having the water so chilly, either, so I had a plumber install a device in all of the sinks in the house that regulated the water temperature there, rather than turning down the temperature on the water heater. I'm not sure what they're called, or even if they're still available, but it was originally something designed for older people to prevent scalds in the bathtub, but it works for this, too.
Childminder 11:08 AM 10-25-2010
One thing I got in trouble for was not having the DTAP date for one child. Child had not even gotten the inoculation yet The other was I did not cover edge of hearth on a fireplace that was in a non-daycare room. I think they just have to find something.

We were taught to clean the non porous changing pad with cleaner and wipe clean then spray with bleach solution and let dry after each change.
care-care 11:29 AM 10-25-2010
so childminder.. if i change on floor in bathroom use my cleaner to spray the pad and and disinfect but not floor unless obviously something gets onit .. thanks
Abigail 11:17 PM 10-29-2010
This may get long, but this is from the Child Care Resource and Referral site for North Dakota to give you an example. You should have something similiar in your state. http://www.ndchildcare.org/providers...0&%20Group.pdf

Diapering
Recommendations for
Family/Group Child Care

 With each diaper change (wet or BM), it is most important to remember the following
three steps: wash child’s hands (even infants), sanitize the diaper pad, and wash your
hands. By remembering these steps each time, you can help cut down on the spread
of germs.
To sanitize changing pad, follow these steps: spray/wash the changing surface with
soap and water, dry surface with paper towel, then spray entire changing surface with
sanitizing bleach solution (3/4 tsp bleach + 1 cup water). Leave it on for 2 minutes.
Dry surface with paper towel.
If using a sanitizer other than bleach, follow
manufacturer’s instructions for required contact time and if surface requires a water
rinse after use. Bleach is recommended for sanitizing because it kills germs, but does
not leave a harmful residue.
 Use a facial/toilet tissue (or clean glove) to apply any diaper ointments or creams
instead of your bare fingers – makes handwashing easier since ointments/creams are
difficult to wash off.
 Changing pad should be made of nonporous, washable material without any cracks or
tears. No cloth material should be used as a diapering surface.
 If a changing pad cracks or tears, replace it. Do not try to repair it with tape or by
covering it with something else.
 Straps on changing tables/pads are not recommended – they spread germs and do
not always keep a child in place. It is best to remove the straps and to always keep
your hand on the child instead.
 Side rails or raised edges (preferably 6”) are recommended to prevent a child from
falling off the diaper table.
 Diapering should be done preferably off the floor on a pad placed on a changing table,
bathroom counter, etc.
 If diapering is done on the floor, the changing pad should be placed on nonporous and
washable flooring (ex. linoleum/vinyl).
 Diapering should not be done on any furniture, bed, carpeting, rug, etc.
 Diapering should not be done in kitchen or in any eating area.
 Diapering should be done close to a sink for handwashing.
 Handwashing should be done after diapering at a bathroom sink, not at a kitchen sink.
 If only one sink is available for food prep and diapering, the faucet, sink, and handles
need to be sanitized after every use.
 Soiled diapers should be directly disposed of into a covered garbage. If possible,
purchasing a step-lid garbage would be another way to reduce the spread of germs,
ND CCR&R Child Care Resource & Referral
Leading the Way for Child Care in North Dakota
Eastern North Dakota 800-941-7003 or 218-299-7026 ~ Western North Dakota 888-223-1510 or 701-223-1510
www.ndchildcare.org
since you would not have to touch the garbage. The garbage can should be close to
where diapering takes place to prevent carrying soiled diapers through the house or
placing on them the floor/surface until they are disposed of after the diaper is
changed.
 Garbage containing soiled diapers should not be in the kitchen or near eating area.
 Keep in mind how you can supervise the other children while diapering.

***Make sure that you keep your two spray bottles (soapy water bottle and bleach/water mixture bottle) out of reach of the children. The bleach/water mixture should be made daily and kept out of direct sunlight.
Tags:inspection
Reply Up