Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Electronic Toys
grateday 08:52 AM 08-10-2015
Anyone switch over to non electronic toys almost completely.

I have had a couple electronic toys just break in less than a year. I try to buy quality things and I do spend the money but the electronic ones seem to be the worst.

Components get worn, a kid drools on one enough times = circuit destroyed.

Etc. Etc.
laundrymom 09:03 AM 08-10-2015
Originally Posted by grateday:

I have had a couple electronic toys just break in less than a year. I try to buy quality things and I do spend the money but the electronic ones seem to be the worst.

Etc. Etc.
I offer no battery powered toys, TV, video games or computers.
AuntTami 09:08 AM 08-10-2015
Originally Posted by grateday:

Etc. Etc.
I find all kinds of toys at garage sales. Most are electronic, unfortunately. They drive me NUTS so I take the batteries out!

They don't even notice the difference for the most part.

I think it's important for kids to use their imagination and make the toys come to life, instead of just watching them DO something. It's an adjustment for my new kiddos at times, trying to figure out how to play and make the toys do something. But once they catch on, it's not usually an issue
midaycare 09:21 AM 08-10-2015
Originally Posted by AuntTami:
I find all kinds of toys at garage sales. Most are electronic, unfortunately. They drive me NUTS so I take the batteries out!

They don't even notice the difference for the most part.

I think it's important for kids to use their imagination and make the toys come to life, instead of just watching them DO something. It's an adjustment for my new kiddos at times, trying to figure out how to play and make the toys do something. But once they catch on, it's not usually an issue
This. The majority of my toys are non-electronic. And the electronic ones I have don't have batteries in them.
bklsmum 09:23 AM 08-10-2015
Originally Posted by midaycare:
This. The majority of my toys are non-electronic. And the electronic ones I have don't have batteries in them.
Same thing here.
Second Home 09:24 AM 08-10-2015
I have a few electronic things . Mostly the free/cheapo video game things you would get as a toy in a kids meal . All are extremely outdated and they really only beep but they kids love them . When they die I throw them out .
snbauser 10:22 AM 08-10-2015
The only electronic toy we have in the classroom is the cd player in our listening center.
daycarediva 10:48 AM 08-10-2015
Originally Posted by snbauser:
The only electronic toy we have in the classroom is the cd player in our listening center.
Same here. Everything is run with 'mind power' here.
AuntTami 11:59 AM 08-10-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Same here. Everything is run with 'mind power' here.
I'm gonna side track for a minute and ask, how do you guys teach your kids to
"Play"???? Some kids have SUCH a hard time with it. They've all pretty much figured out the toys inside; but I have a YARD full of outside toys and everyone just wanders around, not knowing what to do! I just let them wander. Either they figure it out after my instructions and playing with them for a while, or they wander around until it's time to go in......
Controlled Chaos 12:13 PM 08-10-2015
I take the batteries out of toys that have them (like our picnic basket sings (why God why????) and everyhting else as PP put it "mind powered" They get enough electronics at home and it would drive me insane
Blackcat31 12:26 PM 08-10-2015
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Same here. I have NOTHING with batteries. As a matter of fact I am almost all natural, all wood toys....just a couple more to go before I can say 100%.

I'm gonna side track for a minute and ask, how do you guys teach your kids to "Play"????
Some kids have SUCH a hard time with it. They've all pretty much figured out the toys inside; but I have a YARD full of outside toys and everyone just wanders around, not knowing what to do! I just let them wander. Either they figure it out after my instructions and playing with them for a while, or they wander around until it's time to go in......
Fewer choices.

Rotate.

Kitchen timer.
Thriftylady 12:50 PM 08-10-2015
I also have nothing with batteries. I got one ride on toy at a garage sale that makes noise. A parent asked me what noises it makes they were thinking of getting one I said "I don't know the batteries were dead when I got it and I am not replacing them".
Febby 03:52 PM 08-10-2015
I hate electronic toys. Too many kids will just sit there and press the same button over and over and over and over and over. Drives me absolutely crazy.

My classroom has a few electronic toys and, unfortunately, STARS requires us to have working batteries in electronic toys. I wish they would break so we could throw them away.

At a center I used to work at, we had a toy baby monitor that would play a screaming baby sound when you pressed a button. That's all it did. In the 1 1/2 years I worked there, I did everything I could to make it go away. I hid it. The kids and other teachers found it. I let kids use it as a hammer against the cinder block wall. It wouldn't break. Every time it would rain or snow, I would "accidentally" kick it outside when I took the trash out. No amount of water seemed to damage it. It still worked when I left that center.
AuntTami 06:33 PM 08-10-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Same here. I have NOTHING with batteries. As a matter of fact I am almost all natural, all wood toys....just a couple more to go before I can say 100%.

Fewer choices.

Rotate.

Kitchen timer.
I've tried fewer choices, more choices, no choices etc. they might slide down the slide, or play with the cozy coupe, but the sandbox, playhouse, all the other riders, and any of the "loose" toys? They haven't been touched. And the slide and cozy coupe usually result in arguments since there's only one of each so we HAVE to rotate on timers :-(

Febby- I would have smashed it myself, or smashed my own head on the wall. I couldn't deal with that!
auntymimi 08:40 PM 08-10-2015
I've tried fewer choices, more choices, no choices etc. they might slide down the slide, or play with the cozy coupe, but the sandbox, playhouse, all the other riders, and any of the "loose" toys? They haven't been touched. And the slide and cozy coupe usually result in arguments since there's only one of each so we HAVE to rotate on timers :-(

Febby- I would have smashed it myself, or smashed my own head on the wall. I couldn't deal with that!
Check out loose parts play on Pinterest. We have a homemade scale and a sand / water wall that the kids love. Also a little kitchen center by the sand box for making "birthday cakes". My own children always preferred to play with random objects rather than toys, per se, so we really don't have any electronic toys. Well, besides our super creepy 'fur real' baby monkey that the girls love. We do have some plastic dolls and house and whatnot. It helps that my own kids are so comfortable with imaginary play, the rest of the kiddos kinda just fall in.
LysesKids 05:03 AM 08-11-2015
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
This is me lol... only music, books, playsilks & handcrafted wood toys here
nannyde 05:54 AM 08-11-2015
https://www.daycare.com/nannyde/do-a...-get-a-lot.htm
MarinaVanessa 09:05 AM 08-11-2015
I hardly have any battery operated toys at all. If I do have them it's because someone has given them to my children or someone has donated them to me. I typically just take the batteries out if they're going to be "downstairs toys" and the daycare kids will be playing with them. They drive me bonkers. My kids can keep batteries in their toys but then those toys are "upstairs toys" and stay in their room.
Tags:toys - electronic
Reply Up