Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCM discusses leaving with another DCM
Core12 02:05 AM 12-14-2018
Last night a conversation in my living room...
dcm 1-“Jack will be attending xyz Lutheran (daycare/preschool) in January for two days a week!”
dcm 2-“we really like it there, my daughter started there when she was 3 and is now in preschool there”

Dcm 1-told me at the beg of this month of her plans beg next month. She even asked for a discount to which I later said, “no discount”
Dcm 2 -told me at the interview that her infant would be going at age 3

I don’t mind being thought of as an “infant provider only”. I watch 9 kids under 3 yrs old with my mom. But, I feel like this was completely disrespectful. Jack is turning 2 in January (xyz won’t take any kids until they are 2 yrs old). So, she is basically saying that she is going to another daycare not preschool.
Btw, Jack is delayed in speech and hits more than normal and throws lots of tantrums bc his mom doesn’t believe in saying, “no” and we do.
Plz help me, I don’t know how she could really think that was ok to say, unless she was trying to hurt me.
Josiegirl 02:24 AM 12-14-2018
While I would view it as disrespectful too, I'd rather know beforehand than be hit with the news at the 2 week withdrawal notice, KWIM? I don't think parents have a clue what it feels like to a provider as they sit and discuss pulling their child out for "preschool". They're certainly allowed to do what they please and many still are convinced preschool is the way to go. And for some it definitely is. Parents with good manners and feelings towards you, would take that discussion outside of your ears. They don't understand that their children become very important to us and we(if we're lucky!) form a bond, create many happy memories, and at times even become like a 2nd family to them. JMO
amberrose3dg 04:27 AM 12-14-2018
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
While I would view it as disrespectful too, I'd rather know beforehand than be hit with the news at the 2 week withdrawal notice, KWIM? I don't think parents have a clue what it feels like to a provider as they sit and discuss pulling their child out for "preschool". They're certainly allowed to do what they please and many still are convinced preschool is the way to go. And for some it definitely is. Parents with good manners and feelings towards you, would take that discussion outside of your ears. They don't understand that their children become very important to us and we(if we're lucky!) form a bond, create many happy memories, and at times even become like a 2nd family to them. JMO
Start interviewing for the spots and replace asap! It is a business if they want to be that way you can too.
Core12 04:34 AM 12-14-2018
Thank-you so much!!!
e.j. 06:33 AM 12-14-2018
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I agree. Like I said in your other thread about the 2 year old dcb, some parents can be thoughtless when they speak sometimes. The good news is, she's given you a heads up so you know to start looking for another family to fill their slot.
Ac114 06:35 AM 12-14-2018
Originally Posted by amberrose3dg:
Start interviewing for the spots and replace asap! It is a business if they want to be that way you can too.
Yes! Exactly this. Start interviewing ASAP.
Blackcat31 06:45 AM 12-14-2018
I don't know, it really isn't much different than a couple parents discussing their child's move to first grade from kindergarten while in the kindergarten classroom.

In my area there are many preschools that give priority to the kids that attend their child care so maybe moving the 2 yr old to the daycare is the pre-requisite for him being accepted into the preschool when he is 3.

If you aren't really marketing as a preschool and provide services to mostly those kids under 3, I wouldn't take their conversation so personally.

These types of things feel personal to us as providers because we are emotionally and financially invested in the kids that attend our programs but it's not the same for parents. NOT that they don't appreciate us/our services...it's just not personal to them like it is for us.

I am sorry you are feeling hurt by though.
storybookending 06:49 AM 12-14-2018
Maybe I’m alone here but I don’t see how this is disrespectful and I don’t see any way mom could’ve said this with malicious intent I just see it as part of the job, kiddos age out, some sooner than others.
Snowmom 08:13 AM 12-14-2018
I had a mom do something similar and it still irritates me. I typically only enroll toddlers-preschool, so I do market kinder readiness.

I had to flat out ask her to stop poaching my clients since she was still doing it after she left. I lost 2 additional kids after hers because of it. Technically I knew she would pull for formal preschool before enrolling, so I was stupid to enroll her child to begin with. She was just SO insistent with how much she "loved the program". Lesson learned. Stick to your gut.
Reply Up