Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Family Asking for Refund
Ac114 03:19 PM 04-07-2019
Hi! So I closed Friday due to a stomach bug going around that I just could not get rid of. I had someone throw up Monday in childcare and then again 2 more on Thursday. There were several kids out on and off the last 2 weeks due to some form of virus that was causing diarrhea and vomiting. On Thursday afternoon, sometime after lunch, when the 2nd child threw up for the day I decided I was going to close Friday so I could sanitize and air out the daycare room. My polices state that if I close, a parent does not pay. I’ve never been faced with this situation where I need to close to not deal with another child throwing up. (I had another mom text me on Friday that their child started throwing up as well) anyways, the parent asking for a refund is the same parent that brought their child on Thursday when their child went to bed throwing up weds night (which is against my policies) but I didn’t find out until later that day. How do I go about this? I obviously don’t want to refund anyone’s money but when people don’t keep their sick kids home, I am forced at some point to close to get things under control. Whatcha ladies say?
Blackcat31 03:29 PM 04-07-2019
Originally Posted by Ac114:
Hi! So I closed Friday due to a stomach bug going around that I just could not get rid of. I had someone throw up Monday in childcare and then again 2 more on Thursday. There were several kids out on and off the last 2 weeks due to some form of virus that was causing diarrhea and vomiting. On Thursday afternoon, sometime after lunch, when the 2nd child threw up for the day I decided I was going to close Friday so I could sanitize and air out the daycare room. My polices state that if I close, a parent does not pay. I’ve never been faced with this situation where I need to close to not deal with another child throwing up. (I had another mom text me on Friday that their child started throwing up as well) anyways, the parent asking for a refund is the same parent that brought their child on Thursday when their child went to bed throwing up weds night (which is against my policies) but I didn’t find out until later that day. How do I go about this? I obviously don’t want to refund anyone’s money but when people don’t keep their sick kids home, I am forced at some point to close to get things under control. Whatcha ladies say?
Have you discussed the fact family knowingly brought child against illness policies with family prior to them requesting a refund?
Cat Herder 05:38 PM 04-07-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Have you discussed the fact family knowingly brought child against illness policies with family prior to them requesting a refund?
This is a termination level offense.

However, if you want to keep them (even though they broke your illness policy), you must follow your policies and refund the money. You are the one making and enforcing the policies. If you are not going to enforce them, you need to remove them from your contract. Two wrongs don't make a right.

"My policies state that if I close, a parent does not pay."
amberrose3dg 03:42 AM 04-08-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
This is a termination level offense.

However, if you want to keep them (even though they broke your illness policy), you must follow your policies and refund the money. You are the one making and enforcing the policies. If you are not going to enforce them, you need to remove them from your contract. Two wrongs don't make a right.

"My policies state that if I close, a parent does not pay."
Yikes technically their child couldn't attend anyways cause their child threw up on Thursday right? I would go with something like that.
Ac114 05:04 AM 04-08-2019
I did bring it up to them as far as it was against the illness policy and next time he will be refused at the door. I was polite about it and just let it go. This was Thursday evening and they sent me a text Sunday asking for a refund.
redmaple 05:18 AM 04-08-2019
Maybe refund for the closure and issue notice to end care.
Cat Herder 05:19 AM 04-08-2019
Consider changing your policy to include up to 5 personal sick days per year, paid.
Ac114 05:54 AM 04-08-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Consider changing your policy to include up to 5 personal sick days per year, paid.
I actually did just that. I was going to give the new contract at the end of the year to all existing families but all new families were going to receive this new contract.
Cat Herder 06:00 AM 04-08-2019
I actually did just that. I was going to give the new contract at the end of the year to all existing families but all new families were going to receive this new contract.
Perfect. That will take so much stress off of you.
Blackcat31 06:26 AM 04-08-2019
I did bring it up to them as far as it was against the illness policy and next time he will be refused at the door. I was polite about it and just let it go. This was Thursday evening and they sent me a text Sunday asking for a refund.
I would tell the family you are not terminating them for KNOWINGLY bringing a child against your illness policies and therefore will not be issuing a refund as you are both taking a hit.

You by having to close and be out funds from other paying families (who had nothing to do with THEIR disregarding the illness policy) and them by not having daycare the day you closed.

I see that as a fair outcome.
Ariana 08:16 AM 04-08-2019
I would follow my policy and see it as a lesson learned. You did not enforce your sickness policy on Thursday so it is neither here nor there in my opinion. You allowed him to attend. Print out your contract revision and hand it out as soon as possibld with sick days included
Blackcat31 08:18 AM 04-08-2019
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I would follow my policy and see it as a lesson learned. You did not enforce your sickness policy on Thursday so it is neither here nor there in my opinion. You allowed him to attend. Print out your contract revision and hand it out as soon as possibld with sick days included
I would normally agree however, OP wasn't aware they were breaking policy until AFTER child had already been there that day so OP did not knowingly accept child or waive her policy.
Ac114 08:28 AM 04-08-2019
I would normally agree however, OP wasn't aware they were breaking policy until AFTER child had already been there that day so OP did not knowingly accept child or waive her policy.
Exactly this. I was brought up when they picked up that DCB also got sick the night before, before bed. That’s why I didn’t feel that a refund should be given.
Ariana 08:34 AM 04-08-2019
Exactly this. I was brought up when they picked up that DCB also got sick the night before, before bed. That’s why I didn’t feel that a refund should be given.
Ah ok I got confused by your post further down saying you discussed it but allowed him at daycare, sorry!! I understand now that you discussed it once you found out. How did you find out? The kid told you and parents fessed up?

In that case I agree with not issuing a refund for deliberately breaking the contract.
Ac114 09:01 AM 04-08-2019
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Ah ok I got confused by your post further down saying you discussed it but allowed him at daycare, sorry!! I understand now that you discussed it once you found out. How did you find out? The kid told you and parents fessed up?

In that case I agree with not issuing a refund for deliberately breaking the contract.
The parents fessed up when they picked up the child the next day. I ended up not issuing the refund and telling them why. They replied ok, thanks but I’m sure they aren’t happy. I’m also not happy that I had to clean up vomit and sanitize everything but it is what it is.
Leigh 10:46 AM 04-08-2019
I used to work for my dad when I was a kid. I asked him for a raise and he said "How's about I just let you keep your job?". Reading this post made me remember that. "How's about I just let you keep coming to my daycare?"
Mom2Two 12:03 PM 04-08-2019
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I used to work for my dad when I was a kid. I asked him for a raise and he said "How's about I just let you keep your job?". Reading this post made me remember that. "How's about I just let you keep coming to my daycare?"

Mom2Two 12:06 PM 04-08-2019
I started having a "body fluid" fee partly for this reason. It doesn't bother some parents if their child pukes at your house or pees through their underwear that they're not really ready for.

I charge $20 because that's about how much pain I feel as I'm Lysoling my carpet or furniture and Chlorox wiping my bathroom floor after I stripped off their pee-soaked socks and washed their legs with soap. But it's also to discourage parents from bringing barfy kids.

I'm thinking of raising it to $25.

The other issue for me would be that they deliberately brought a pukey kid. That would be a big damper on a relationship for me.
Tags:enforcing policies - consistency, refund
Reply Up