Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Really? Wow, 3 day Potty-training, Obtuse Much?
KIDZRMYBIZ 11:38 AM 01-13-2015
One of my DCMs wants to do the 3-day-potty-training by Lora Jensen over MLK weekend. She e-mailed me the book, and keeps asking me if I've looked at it yet. Now I know why. Have any of you seen this? There is a section about going back to daycare, and IMO, and the author is quite ignorant about what group care is. Burned my britches!

Well, I'll have to e-mail DCM back with a reminder of MY policy, and I know it's going to rock her boat. Bleah.
Reply
Second Home 11:42 AM 01-13-2015
Ohhhhh , share what it said about going back to daycare .
Reply
permanentvacation 11:43 AM 01-13-2015
I don't understand parents. Do they go into any other company and try to tell them how to do their jobs? Do they go into Walmart and tell the manager that they feel they should put the shoe department by the front door and the clothes in the back of the building? Why do they feel they can come into our companies and tell us how to operate our businesses?

We have policies and procedures just like any other company. Our clients need to realize that. If they don't like the way we operate our businesses, they can go to another daycare. But they can not tell us to change the way we operate out business for them.
Reply
Blackcat31 11:46 AM 01-13-2015
Yes, I have had parents do the 3 day method and some have actually had some good success with it but obviously the child was ready or it wouldn't have worked in my opinion.

In your shoes, I would simply tell the mom that there is no need for you to read anything over as parents are welcome to use whatever training methods that work for them but you will still require the same rules/policies to apply while at YOUR house no matter what method a family chooses.

I don't care what the book, the pediatrician or Dr Sears, Dr Spock or Martha Stewart says about "going back to daycare" because if the child pees on my floor they will be put back into pull ups and required to remain covered for any future accidents until they have remained dry for a full two weeks.
Reply
daycarediva 11:54 AM 01-13-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Yes, I have had parents do the 3 day method and some have actually had some good success with it but obviously the child was ready or it wouldn't have worked in my opinion.

In your shoes, I would simply tell the mom that there is no need for you to read anything over as parents are welcome to use whatever training methods that work for them but you will still require the same rules/policies to apply while at YOUR house no matter what method a family chooses.

I don't care what the book, the pediatrician or Dr Sears, Dr Spock or Martha Stewart says about "going back to daycare" because if the child pees on my floor they will be put back into pull ups and required to remain covered for any future accidents until they have remained dry for a full two weeks.


I would just say good luck, and attach a copy of my potty training policy and state in GENERAL what I do to encourage/assist with the process.

What did the book say about daycare? I have a dcm that used it with great success, but she also did an extended version, over 10 days and did it over Christmas AND brought kid back in pullups. No accidents so far, and kiddo is in underpants since the two weeks has passed with no accidents.
Reply
NoMoreJuice! 12:06 PM 01-13-2015
I have to be honest, I am a HUGE fan of the 3 day method. Like, I never stop talking about it to people. I've personally trained two kids with it, and I've had four successful daycare families use it (and one unsuccessful, not-fully-committed parent try it). However, I am very annoyed at this section, and I realize that the author is talking out of her butt in regard to daycare providers. I will post the entire section and let you ladies analyze how condescending it is:



"If your child is in daycare be sure to discuss with your daycare providers your plan a day or two BEFORE you start. Explain to them that when your child returns to daycare that they are not to put a pull-up or diaper on the child. They may come back to you and say that if the child has an accident, they will put a diaper on the child. Gently remind them about the importance of being consistant, about how that would send mixed signals to the child, and could undo all the progress you've worked so hard to achieve, and that you greatly appreciate their support. Maybe even offer a pair of movie tickets.

You or your spouse may need to take Friday or Monday off from work to give this method the best possible chance for success. Do not put your child in daycare during the three days. It's just too soon. Day 4 is the earliest that I recommend returning your child to daycare.

Sometimes you may just have to play it by ear. At the end of day 3, if the whole toilet thing has not "clicked" with your child, you may need to take the next day off from work. The "clicking" or "getting it" needs to occur before the child returns to daycare.

If your daycare provider is not on board with you then you might have a set back or two. I've never had my kids in daycare but many of the moms that I've helped potty train have kids in daycare. There are many wonderful providers out there and they are willing to work with the parents but there are some that want nothing to do with helping the parents out. They want the child in a pull-up or diaper until they leave for school.

If your daycare provider is one that isn't willing to support you during this training you might need to spend an extra day or two at home to make sure that there are no more accidents and that the child is confident in his new skill.

You may need to be firm with your daycare provider with regards to your "no diaper" position.

If you are concerned about your daycare provider putting a pull-up or diaper back on your child, you might want to try Pods. Pods are little thin strips you place in your little ones underwear. These strips will absorb any accient your child has so he doesn't make a "mess" on the floor. Your child will feel the strips turn to a cold jell like substance and asked to go to the bathroom. The daycare provider can then just replace the strip. Pods can be the solution for those hard to work with daycare providers. You can find Pods here: http://www.3daypottytraining.com/pods.htm"
Reply
spinnymarie 12:12 PM 01-13-2015
I used this method too, on my 3, very successfully, but I agree that the daycare part is total crap!
Reply
KIDZRMYBIZ 12:13 PM 01-13-2015
"Explain to (your provider) that when your child returns to daycare they are not to put a pull-up or diaper on the child. They may come back to you and say that if the child has an accident, they will put a diaper on the child. Gently remind them of the importance of being consistent, about how that would send mixed signals to the child, and could undo all the progress you worked so hard to achieve, and that you greatly appreciate their support. Maybe even offer a pair of movie tickets.

If your daycare provider is not on board with you then you might have a set back or two...There are many wonderful daycare providers out there and they are willing to work with the parents but there are some that want nothing to do with helping the parents out. They want the child in a pull-up or diaper until they leave for school.

You may need to be firm with your daycare provider with regards to your "no diaper" position."

I agree, I do not like diapers or pull-ups on fully capable children that should be using the toilet, but I like their pee on my carpet even less. It should be noted, the author stayed home with her children and never used any kind of daycare services. What a ninny, going around suggesting that DCFs tell their providers that under no circumstances will you disallow MY CHILD'S urine to not be contained! She also says no plastic pants, buuuuuut...you can use adult bladder leakage pads in the underwear. Ninny, I tell ya. Just a wacky spin off of John Rosemand's 3-day potty training, the original guru of all things child.
Reply
daycarediva 12:15 PM 01-13-2015
OH WOW that's a load of full pods right there!
Reply
Blackcat31 12:15 PM 01-13-2015
Originally Posted by NoMoreJuice!:
I have to be honest, I am a HUGE fan of the 3 day method. Like, I never stop talking about it to people. I've personally trained two kids with it, and I've had four successful daycare families use it (and one unsuccessful, not-fully-committed parent try it). However, I am very annoyed at this section, and I realize that the author is talking out of her butt in regard to daycare providers. I will post the entire section and let you ladies analyze how condescending it is:



"If your child is in daycare be sure to discuss with your daycare providers your plan a day or two BEFORE you start. Explain to them that when your child returns to daycare that they are not to put a pull-up or diaper on the child. They may come back to you and say that if the child has an accident, they will put a diaper on the child. Gently remind them about the importance of being consistant, about how that would send mixed signals to the child, and could undo all the progress you've worked so hard to achieve, and that you greatly appreciate their support. Maybe even offer a pair of movie tickets.
You or your spouse may need to take Friday or Monday off from work to give this method the best possible chance for success. Do not put your child in daycare during the three days. It's just too soon. Day 4 is the earliest that I recommend returning your child to daycare.

Sometimes you may just have to play it by ear. At the end of day 3, if the whole toilet thing has not "clicked" with your child, you may need to take the next day off from work. The "clicking" or "getting it" needs to occur before the child returns to daycare.

If your daycare provider is not on board with you then you might have a set back or two. I've never had my kids in daycare but many of the moms that I've helped potty train have kids in daycare. There are many wonderful providers out there and they are willing to work with the parents but there are some that want nothing to do with helping the parents out. They want the child in a pull-up or diaper until they leave for school.

If your daycare provider is one that isn't willing to support you during this training you might need to spend an extra day or two at home to make sure that there are no more accidents and that the child is confident in his new skill.

You may need to be firm with your daycare provider with regards to your "no diaper" position.

If you are concerned about your daycare provider putting a pull-up or diaper back on your child, you might want to try Pods. Pods are little thin strips you place in your little ones underwear. These strips will absorb any accient your child has so he doesn't make a "mess" on the floor. Your child will feel the strips turn to a cold jell like substance and asked to go to the bathroom. The daycare provider can then just replace the strip. Pods can be the solution for those hard to work with daycare providers. You can find Pods here: http://www.3daypottytraining.com/pods.htm"
bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

This woman is seriously clueless when it comes to daycare.

In her defense, she did say that she has no experience with child care but one would think since that is the case, she would refrain from making such absurd statements.
Reply
KIDZRMYBIZ 12:20 PM 01-13-2015
Originally Posted by NoMoreJuice!:
I have to be honest, I am a HUGE fan of the 3 day method. Like, I never stop talking about it to people. I've personally trained two kids with it, and I've had four successful daycare families use it (and one unsuccessful, not-fully-committed parent try it). However, I am very annoyed at this section, and I realize that the author is talking out of her butt in regard to daycare providers. I will post the entire section and let you ladies analyze how condescending it is.
Man, alive, I had to type mine out! Dang it! Thank you for putting the whole thing there. That's great! I love 3-day training, too, but she is hardly the first to suggest it. Your DCF sounds awesome.

I think in my situation, I think I will just pretend like I never had time to look it over in much detail, and just e-mail DCM a reminder on my policy, and hopefully we will be on the same page.
Reply
Leigh 12:21 PM 01-13-2015
Well, don't you all agree that a pair of movie tickets would totally make up for having to clean up pee from your carpets and furniture?
Reply
Blackcat31 12:23 PM 01-13-2015
Originally Posted by Leigh:
Well, don't you all agree that a pair of movie tickets would totally make up for having to clean up pee from your carpets and furniture?
Well if it was a premier event in Hollywood, I "might" consider it but it depends in what movie it is.
Reply
NoMoreJuice! 12:25 PM 01-13-2015
Originally Posted by Leigh:
Well, don't you all agree that a pair of movie tickets would totally make up for having to clean up pee from your carpets and furniture?
HAHA!
Reply
KIDZRMYBIZ 12:36 PM 01-13-2015
I would love a small gift to go along with every request that challenges my policies. At least then I'd get something besides continued enrollment with my smile-and-nod-then-go-about-my-day routine that I usually do.
Reply
AuntTami 04:12 PM 01-13-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Well if it was a premier event in Hollywood, I "might" consider it but it depends in what movie it is.
They had better be paying for my flight and accommodations too!

What provider WANTS a child in a diaper or pull up until they're ready for school? Every provider I've met seems to agree that children are EASIER to care for when they're potty trained, soooo..why would we want them in diapers? I don't really enjoy making more work for myself, but maybe some do?
Reply
midaycare 08:39 PM 01-13-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
OH WOW that's a load of full pods right there!
Tee hee
Reply
Turquoise14 08:57 AM 01-14-2015
My son really did potty train at quick. But I did it when I was coming off of being a teacher. In June. When nobody else was responsible for him. I would never have sent him to someone's home because he had one day accident free. I don't believe in pull-ups either, but while the no pants methods works well, it should be on the parent to take the time to do it.
Reply
permanentvacation 09:09 AM 01-14-2015
Now, I did notice this:

At the end of day 3, if the whole toilet thing has not "clicked" with your child, you may need to take the next day off from work. The "clicking" or "getting it" needs to occur before the child returns to daycare.

So yes, if the child isn't getting it, the parent should take another day off work, and then another, and another because as it says, The 'clicking' or 'getting it' needs to occur before the child returns to daycare.

That last line says to me that the parent is to stay at home until the child 'gets it' that they are to NOT mess themselves! Therefore, the parent would stay home until the child is truly potty trained.

Therefore, since the method requires no use of pull-ups at daycare, yep, I agree with the 3 day method.
Reply
Crazy8 09:34 AM 01-14-2015
ROTFL at the movie tickets comment…. because yes, some movie tickets totally makes up for me having to clean up urine all over the floor while I have 5 kids walking and crawling around it. Sure.

I do believe in the method in general but the one size fits all (3 days) just doesn't work and I am sure the parents will glance right over the "if it doesn't click" part and follow everything else.

I used a book called "potty training in a day" when my first child was little (before daycare) and really just followed the basics and she was trained in 3-4 days but I knew she was ready. I love when parents wait till a child is truly ready, makes the process soooo much easier!!
Reply
KIDZRMYBIZ 09:48 AM 01-14-2015
Originally Posted by permanentvacation:
Now, I did notice this:

At the end of day 3, if the whole toilet thing has not "clicked" with your child, you may need to take the next day off from work. The "clicking" or "getting it" needs to occur before the child returns to daycare.

So yes, if the child isn't getting it, the parent should take another day off work, and then another, and another because as it says, The 'clicking' or 'getting it' needs to occur before the child returns to daycare.

That last line says to me that the parent is to stay at home until the child 'gets it' that they are to NOT mess themselves! Therefore, the parent would stay home until the child is truly potty trained.

Therefore, since the method requires no use of pull-ups at daycare, yep, I agree with the 3 day method.
Good point! Let's hope they take this part to heart. DCM is taking Friday off, MLK is a paid holiday for them, so 4 days total. I was thinking they should each use a week's vacation, and keep him out 2 whole weeks, and THEN I am sure (if they are consistent at home) that he will be truly potty-trained when he comes back. Never gonna happen. That would be a sacrifice, for the good of their little off-spring, and they would view it as "wasting" a bunch of PTO. DCM already has to "waste" one day.

I am braced for a fail, as DCB is a fairly immature 23mo, and just this week started putting 2 words together (and only in the form of a broken-record-what's-that that sounds like "wasat"). He will need TOTAL assistance in the bathroom, as he cannot take pants up/down, nor get up/down from toilet, or even begin to wash hands. I don't think 4 days will be enough time for him to "get it." I am hoping to be proven wrong!
Reply
Unregistered 12:11 PM 01-14-2015
A lot of people swear by this thing. I got very lucky and didn't do any method at all.
Child 1 didn't like dirty or wet feeling. Therefore, she sort of trained herself! LOL I showed her that pee and poop goes in potty, let her come in when I was going and sat her on her own chair during that time, and she either peed or she didn't. Other than that, I did nothing else! Then she didn't like stinky brother, so SHE encouraged him to go! (She was 4 by this time and she was bossy! Still is!) Thank goodness another kid (plus I am sure having the daycare with PT kids had a lot to do with it. She was PT and so were they. That meant he was not going to be the ONLY kid not PT, and he got cool underwear too.

The last two were a little bit more challenging since they were twins and early, the girl was ok except at night. The DCK's and my own kids, once again were their cheer team. So she pretty much 'got' it but because she was born with a smaller than average bladder and was a very heavy night sleeper, this took til she was about 3 to be night trained. The boy was much harder, he was great at night from age 18 months, but could not physically eliminate (#2) so he'd get very hard stools, and this made him scared to use the bathroom. He was 3 when he was done too, but still, it was a lot of work for him. He'd go pee just fine, no problem! He was pee trained early for boys. It was that #2 that we struggled with! Ugh the joys

I PT a lot of kids in daycare before I went to PT kids ONLY because it DID ruin my carpets and was kind of gross. I can't believe a parent would EXPECT a DCP to PT their kid. That's not a DCP job! It's mom and dads. I didn't mind HELPING, but I hated the PT I did have to do. Thankfully, I only did that the first year of care before I realized "I DON'T THINK SO"
Reply
Tags:potty training, potty training - 3 day
Reply Up