Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Professionalism vs Ethical Decisions
grateday 11:57 PM 09-27-2014
So when does ethics trump professionalism in the family childcare business

I had a parent call last minute needing child care asap. I thought she seemed nice and we seemed to get along over the phone. She was annoyed that I had to call her back, I guess because she called me during pick up time and wanted to talk about something and it wasn't a good time. A couple kids decided to hit each other with books and another parent was at the door. So I had to go- a typical drama for a childcare.

I call back, had to leave message about rescheduling. She called and pretend to not get my message so I called and spoke and she said she needed me to try reschedule for weekend because needed care by monday because she waited to long to find alternate care.

I was not happy about it because I am not open for business on weekend but agreed. Then son gets really sick 30 min before she is to come so I had to call and leave a message

Well then I have to call and leave a message. She calls back upset and says how she thinks its unprofessional and that I had to know something was wrong with my child and I should have called twice

I honestly did not know, you cannot plan this stuff. I don't have the resources to send my sick child somewhere else so I can be professional on what is supposed to be my day off.

I honestly am beginning to really dread people the more I do this because now I have to be rigid and say I don't do interviews on weekends at all because parents always ruin it for me.

At what point does ethics trumph professionalism?

I think ethics in this case was in order because I did not want an infant getting an unknown respiratory virus and have that come back on me. This is the second time in one month I have interacted with a very snotty and rude parent.

No interviews during childcare or on weekends from now on. It is not worth it. If I cant interview because of an unfortunate event, I guess I am unprofessional too.
Josiegirl 03:36 AM 09-28-2014
She needed care asap because she waited too long to find alternate care yet you're to blame because your child came down with something that you were supposed to know about???
Uh huh yeh, you didn't need this dcm that's for sure! For someone who needed dc so badly you'd think she'd be a little more polite about it. Sucks to be her.
Her failure to plan ahead is not your problem, you were professional and need to wait until a better fit comes along.
Unregistered 06:40 AM 09-28-2014
It seems that this saying fits here: Poor planning on YOUR part does not constitute an emergency on MY part.
Thriftylady 07:24 AM 09-28-2014
I think you dodged a bullet. She is not the kind of parent I would want to work with.
Josiegirl 07:54 AM 09-28-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
It seems that this saying fits here: Poor planning on YOUR part does not constitute an emergency on MY part.
That's the saying I was trying to think of and it fits this case to a T.
SignMeUp 08:28 AM 09-28-2014
Yes!
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
That's the saying I was trying to think of and it fits this case to a T.

Play Care 03:09 AM 09-29-2014
A couple of years ago I had a parent call me for possible child care. When I told her my hours (I close at 4:30) she FREAKED OUT. I don't even remember what I said in reply, but she was so angry because I closed at 4:30...

I strive to be professional at all times, but I am ONE person and can only do so much. Bottom line I think in both our cases the parent didn't get their way and we saw their true colors. Thankfully this happened *before* we had their children in care.

I wouldn't give this woman any more of your thoughts or attention - you did nothing wrong. And the bonus here is that it's not as if she's a current client who needed a reminder and now things are awkward. You never have to see/deal with her again
Second Home 05:43 AM 09-29-2014
The parent made the mistake but they must not be the one who is at fault so they turn it around to blame someone else .

I also do not interview during dc hours or on the weekend . Of course there may be a special case where I might do a weekend but only if it does not mess up any plans I already have .
Blackcat31 06:01 AM 09-29-2014
I would have told her from the very beginning that I don't do interviews or parent meetings on weekends and left it at that.

I would not have engaged this parent with the back and forth communicating as the parent's need to be accommodated immediately is not MY problem.

I have specific times in which I do parent meetings/interviews and if the parent can't make one of those times work then they aren't a good fit for my program and we leave it at that.

Saved me the hassle of having to undo "special" later.
crazydaycarelady 08:49 AM 09-29-2014
I only do interviews during my working hours. I have been burned too many times on my own time. Her emergency is not your problem.
Play Care 11:02 AM 09-29-2014
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
I only do interviews during my working hours. I have been burned too many times on my own time. Her emergency is not your problem.
I think I am going to start this. I hate doing any work on my off hours.
melilley 11:12 AM 09-29-2014
Really? You're supposed to know when your child's going to get sick? I agree, you really dodged a bullet!

When I first opened, I did interviews on the weekend just because I wanted to get children enrolled, but now I only do them during the week and only at 6, right after I close.
biglou 02:49 PM 09-29-2014
My wife and I do conduct interviews anytime we are home including weekends as long as it is convenient for us. Don't worry about this woman. Almost all people claiming to need care within a few days of talking to you are most likely not going to enroll. People like this have a "red flag" over their heads in my book. Almost never works out. Move on.

Big lou
TaylorTots 04:16 PM 09-29-2014
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I think you dodged a bullet. She is not the kind of parent I would want to work with.
This.
e.j. 04:24 PM 09-29-2014
I think you behaved both ethically and professionally in this case. You were trying to protect her child from illness. She was immature and rude and couldn't see beyond her own nose. As someone else said, you dodged a bullet. Don't waste another minute of your precious time thinking about her.
Reply Up