Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pacifiers , Blankets?
BentleysBands 03:53 AM 10-07-2010
another quick question: how do u do kids w/lovies, blankets, pacifiers??
i have tried the 'put away until nap' and for the life of me its killing me. i allow them to have their items, no probs w/other kids taking,etc...but keeping up with it all is driving me batty LOL...esp my almost 3yo dcg who has a pacifier. not my thing but to eachs own is my way of thinking...she talks awesome for her age and very clearly but seeing her take that thing out to talk is crazy lol
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 04:04 AM 10-07-2010
I dont do paci's after the crawl, and even then only if they are fussy and in the crib at nap. I dont do the blankie thing, I have blankies for everyone,.. If someone is addicted I let them have it but if they put it down its plopped up and tucked away without them knowing until they fuss for it, and I keep doing that until they no longer fuss. Usually takes a week for them to realize their heart will beat without the blanket
mac60 04:35 AM 10-07-2010
I do allow pacifiers, I just think some kids need that, and it is much better than listening to them scream. I don't let them walk around with them though. For naptime only, or infants whenever they need it. Blankies, until they become a problem I don't care. But then again, if I see them laying around, I will stick them up and out of the way.
MyAngels 04:43 AM 10-07-2010
I don't have a problem letting them have their pacifiers and blankets, but I do as the other posters - as soon as I see them laying on the floor they are picked up and put away. Most of the time the kids never ask about them again until it's time to go home. I did have a little girl once who had a blanket that drove me nuts - the "blankie" was a twin size comforter! I finally had to draw the line there since she was forever dragging that thing around and knocking other kids over with it lol.
SilverSabre25 04:57 AM 10-07-2010
I avoid letting them have them until naptime and try to limit them to nap only. I have an 11 month old right now who is addicted to a blanket and I haven't had the energy to keep it away from him yet. He has started forgetting about it occasionally but for the most part, I think it's what's getting him through teething! He just got his first tooth the other day.

For my other lovey-attached children, I do my best to limit it, like PPs said. It takes a certain age/certain stage of maturity before I start trying, though.
Jewels 06:07 AM 10-07-2010
Pacifiers once they start moving, are only for nap times, blankies or lovies, they can have, that doesnt bother me, But like others if there laying around, I put them back in their cubbies.
WImom 06:11 AM 10-07-2010
I make them keep pacifiers, lovies, blankets in their backpacks until Nap.
BentleysBands 07:03 AM 10-07-2010
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I don't have a problem letting them have their pacifiers and blankets, but I do as the other posters - as soon as I see them laying on the floor they are picked up and put away. Most of the time the kids never ask about them again until it's time to go home. I did have a little girl once who had a blanket that drove me nuts - the "blankie" was a twin size comforter! I finally had to draw the line there since she was forever dragging that thing around and knocking other kids over with it lol.
omg i sooo needed this laugh

thanks!
DCMom 07:25 AM 10-07-2010
I have a blanket cubby. I ask them to put them away when breakfast is ready and they rarely look at them again before nap time. If they really need them, they go get them. I don't mind, but they are their responsibility. If I find them on the floor, they go in the cubby that is out of their reach. Kind of a non-issue around here now.
Attached: BlanketCubby.jpg (91.4 KB) 
tenderhearts 11:11 AM 10-07-2010
I allow the babies to use their binkies ONLY if nothing else is working usually until a year old just depends, I don't just let them have them all day if not needed,naps of course. Blankets I don't really mind if they have them out. I only have 2 kids that like to keep their blankies with them however I do the same as the others, if it's just laying there I put it in their cubby and 9x out of 10 they never notice.
BentleysBands 11:26 AM 10-07-2010
yeah, i have a cubby system to but they take back out its not much of an issue except for the older dcg and it doesnt help when the dcp's come in and pop it right in her mouth..ugh..
marniewon 07:04 PM 10-07-2010
Originally Posted by BentleysBands:
yeah, i have a cubby system to but they take back out its not much of an issue except for the older dcg and it doesnt help when the dcp's come in and pop it right in her mouth..ugh..
I hear you on the dcp's plugging the kids at pick up! I had dcb, 20 months, who mom had asked (begged) me to help her get rid of blankie and binky. There were times that she brought him in with both, and told me that I had to be the bad guy. I let him keep it for the first few days (adjustment) and after that he lost both at drop off. It got to the point where he would just hand me the things as soon as mom walked out the door! Instead of a cubby, I would put his things in his pnp, so they would be there for nap, and he wouldn't think of them until nap time. He did so well here giving those things up, but as soon as mom came, she shoved binky back in his mouth - even though he wasn't even asking for it!
DCMom 05:03 AM 10-08-2010
The pick up thing always gets me.

I have a 3 year old, who still has a pacifier 'only for naps and car rides'...anyway..he usually is really good about putting it away, but one day this week it wasn't in the cubby. The kid took it in stride, was ok with it, but I thought DAD was going to have a panic attack, lol.
PAMommy1228 08:55 AM 10-08-2010
After a year, "binkie and lovies are for night night only" I keep their blankets and binkies in the closet so they cannot get it.

Many parents ask how they do because at home they get it on demand, and I haven't ever had a problem. The only time I had a problem was a kid who liked silky, anytime he was quiet you knew he found a toy, doll, clothing anything with silk and had his thumb in is mouth.
Unregistered 09:17 AM 10-08-2010
In my daycare I have rules about paci's. bottles, potty training, etc. Parents are told that paci's are not to come to daycare when a child turns 2 years old as a 2 year old does not need a paci, they are told bottles are not to come to daycare after a baby turns 1 year old sippy cups ONLY, daycare kids are also to be potty trained BY the age of 3 years old UNLESS they can not due to a special need. I do not have any rules about blankies. I see that kids do not need these things listed above by certian ages its the parents that hang on to them all my parents threw the years have been great about it too and say they are glad I have these rules or they probably would of let there child hang onto these things longer.
momofsix 10:39 AM 10-08-2010
Originally Posted by PAMommy1228:
The only time I had a problem was a kid who liked silky, anytime he was quiet you knew he found a toy, doll, clothing anything with silk and had his thumb in is mouth.
That is too funny, one of my daughters liked silky too, and she'd always find something! Even now at the age of 19 she wears silky pj pants, just so she can have silky with her in bed!
Tags:blanket, cubby, pacifier
Reply Up