Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCG Calls Me Mom
mommiebookworm 08:16 PM 11-10-2015
I have a dcg 18 months, who always calls me Mom. I've told her to call me by name. She can say my name, but rarely does.
At what age will she grow out of this? I think it hurts Mom's feelings and dcb2 has started telling her "she's not your Mom!"
I've cared for her since she was 6 weeks old.
childcaremom 02:34 AM 11-11-2015
It's normal. I have had dcks do that in the past and usually by 2 they were calling me by my name. I would just remind them of my name and carry on.
DaveA 03:39 AM 11-11-2015
It's pretty common- I wouldn't worry about it. Just remind the child your name and go on about what you were doing.
Indoorvoice 04:48 AM 11-11-2015
Very common! I have a 2 year old here who still calls me mama in front of her mom. Her mom actually thinks it's funny and says I'm her 2nd mama but I could see how a mom might get upset by it. Whenever she calls me that I say, "what's my name again?" and then she'll correct herself. I explain to parents too that is nothing personal, they just see us as the caregivers and also hear our own children calling us mom so it sticks.
sahm1225 05:37 AM 11-11-2015
Originally Posted by DaveArmour:
It's pretty common- I wouldn't worry about it. Just remind the child your name and go on about what you were doing.
This. I have a dcg2 who calls me mommy (she calls her mom momma). My own dg3 calls me miss.... During daycare. Cracks me up! They mimick what they hear
spedmommy4 06:34 AM 11-11-2015
I agree with what everyone else on here has said. I will add that I think kids have "oops" moments just like grown ups. Sometimes the 2, 3, and 4 year olds slip and call me mom.

I'm going to bet that most of us on here are moms or dads. We sound like moms and dads. Maybe we even say some of the same things that their moms and dads say. So, every once in awhile, once of the older kids says "mom . . . " and then self corrects. I think it's cute. :-) (and normal)
Controlled Chaos 06:42 AM 11-11-2015
I suffer from the flip side. My two year old daughter has been calling me ms. CC for months drives me crazy. But it's normal. She's hear people calle that her whole life. Hope she grows out of it.
midaycare 06:43 AM 11-11-2015
Completely normal. My DS also calls me "Ms. Midaycare" because he doesn't want the others to call me mom. I ignore it and always refer to myself as "Ms. Midaycare".
KidGrind 05:31 AM 11-11-2015
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
It's normal. I have had dcks do that in the past and usually by 2 they were calling me by my name. I would just remind them of my name and carry on.

Thriftylady 05:35 AM 11-11-2015
Kids go through a phase where they will call any female caregiver mom. It is what "mom" is to them, someone who takes care of them. It is totally normal and there isn't really much you can do for it. My daughter is 17 and when she works at our church camp over the summer, she found herself accidentally calling the directors wife mom a lot while working in the kitchen. She would do it out of habit. Now she just always calls her mom, because she is a like a mom to her!
Nisaryn 10:23 AM 11-11-2015
This is normal, I freaked out the first time it happened to me to especially when DCB did it in front of his mother...she wasn't so happy about it. I currently have a 7m old that follows me around yelling "mommomoomma" at me when it starts to get around meals times. At this age they really don't consider you "mom" so much that your the person caring for them (and that they hopefully care for) and it's how they identify with you. I have a feeling this little boy probably won't grow out of it for a while since my son and my daughter are both here as well and always call me Mom so he hears it a lot too. DCBs mom knows he does it and doesn't seem to care.
mommiebookworm 11:20 AM 11-11-2015
Thanks everyone!
MsLisa 08:43 AM 11-12-2015
I haven't gotten called "Mom" so far, but I've been getting a lot of "I love you Ms. Lisa" both being told verbally and in drawn/painted pictures lately. Its both sweet and heartbreaking cause its from the kids with the usual "not-worthy" parents.
BabyMonkeys 08:54 AM 11-12-2015
I have two 23m and a 17m. They all call me "mom". They call their own mom "mama" or "mommy" The fact that they hear my own kids (teens) call me mom, probably contributes to that. Thankfully they rarely say it in front of their own moms. I correct them every time though.
Tags:child calls me mom, nicknames
Reply Up