Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ever Had The Police Come To Investigate?
GotKids 10:21 AM 06-25-2012
I had a little in my care that left on thrusday perfectly fine. That evening hurt his elbow bad enough to need a cast the next day. I didn't have him again until Monday. That was early this month. The police called to set up a time to meet with me. The injury happened at home. Why do they need to meet with me? What types of things do I need to have ready? How much access do they get to my files and the child? Do I need to let my licensing agent know?
youretooloud 10:23 AM 06-25-2012
No. That would scare me to death! I have no idea what you should do.

The only thing I can think of, is maybe they think the parent is abusive and they want to talk to you about it.
Crystal 10:40 AM 06-25-2012
Definitley let your licensing rep know. Ask her how much information/access to files you are permitted to allow.

I would not be overly concerned, it is likely in regards to checking out the parents. Be certain to obtain proper identifcation from the officer as well.
Heidi 10:55 AM 06-25-2012
Yes, send your licenser an email so that you have proof that you notified her, and send a follow up after wards.

In our state, we are REQUIRED to report any contact with law enforcement to licensing. Double check your regs-there may be a required procedure or form.

Good luck and don't be scared!
GretasLittleFriends 10:57 AM 06-25-2012
I agree with previous posters, get identification and check with your licensor before you answer their questions.

I one time had child protection and an officer come interview me regarding a child abuse case they were investigating. I talked to the licensor, and was told I could answer their questions. The safety of the child in the home was their concern. I had honestly never seen anything about this child that caused me great concern. The child was 3 and VERY clumsy. The child had gotten a couple of bruises from being active, divorced parents, father trying for custody. Nothing ever became of it. The investigation seemed very intimidating, even though I knew I never did anything wrong. Their main goal is to keep the child safe.
Unregistered 11:23 AM 06-25-2012
Last summer a toddler broke his leg here when he stepped on a block and one leg went one way and the other one went the other way...his mom came just minutes after it happened and she was going to take him to the ER in her car...when she tried to put him in the seat, he cried very hard (we didn't know at that point that he had broken it because there was no sign of a break) ...we called the ambulance and they took him in...

Because it was a non-verbal toddler, the hospital have to contact the police ..the little guy was transferred to the children's hospital for surgery ..the dad got home very late to find the police waiting there for him and a child services worker...they interviewed him ( and I assume the mother was interviewed at the hospital)..the detective contacted me the next day (just before the dad called to tell me they would be calling)...

The detective and child services worker came to interview me ...in a separate room from my husband (that goodness he was here to watch the little ones I had that day)...I was SO nervous but they were both very nice and understanding...they taped my conversation and they mentioned that a transcript would be done of it for the records...

The detective asked me questions about what had happened , exactly where, how the boy seemed during the day before he slipped, etc. I answered as truthfully and in detail as I could...before they left, I showed them the block and how he had done it and everything I could think of...

I had done almost exactly the same thing about 16 years ago and ripped the ligaments in my knee and disloacted the knee cap so I understood how easy it is to get hurt from a simple block..

The detective and the worker were very nice and they said there wasn't anything to worry about but boy is it a nerve-wracking experience!!
Unregistered 11:42 AM 06-25-2012
I never have. I had a boy trip and break his arm while here. His parents took him to the hospital, but at that time, I never received a call from CPS or the police.

A fellow provider had CPS and the police show up at her door at 5 AM one time. As each of the parents arrived, they were told that the daycare was shut down until further notice and were not allowed to talk to the provider. A baby was taken to the ER the previous night with a dislocated hip. The mother blamed it on daycare. Another parent contacted the police and CPS and told them that he was the last person to hold the baby before the parent picked up, he handed the baby to the parent and the baby was fine at that time. Other parents called to let CPS know that the mother was "high-strung". My friend had to hire an atty to defend her, it was a total mess. The findings were "inconclusive" and my friend was so devastated that she never reopened.
Unregistered 01:37 PM 06-25-2012
Logged out for privacy.

I do not talk to the police unless subpoena'd. Anything you say to the police can be used against you even if you have done nothing wrong. If they are looking for a character reference for the parents then I would provide that in writing otherwise I do not have contact with CPS or police unless required by the law. It is bad for business and always a risk to invite them into your life/business. If the accident did not happen at daycare then why do they need to speak to you?

Know your rights. Know what is obligated of you by law and what isn't. Only then can you help protect yourself and your daycare.
Mom&Provider 02:39 PM 06-25-2012
No one else has mentioned it, but the first thing that came to mind was that the parents lied and said it happened at daycare during their visit to the hospital!? Would they do that to you??

Very worrisome...call whoever you need to and make sure you get all the details from the officer(s) who come out, but know your rights before they come. I'd be open with them, I understand anything can be used in future, but you are not at fault here, so I wouldn't worry about that, and not talking would make you look a little off KWIM?!

Good luck and let us know how it goes....
Unregistered 03:02 PM 06-26-2012
logged out.

I hope it all turned out well. In my state, this would be a reason for licensing to close me down till further notice. While they investigated ME, just in case I might be responsible. That's because in my state, the licensors are not your friends. (Some of them) will use anything at all to find a reason to close a family provider. I'm so envious of those of you who seem to think your licensors are advocates. That's where we were 10 years ago.
MizzCheryl 06:06 PM 06-26-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Logged out for privacy.

I do not talk to the police unless subpoena'd. Anything you say to the police can be used against you even if you have done nothing wrong. If they are looking for a character reference for the parents then I would provide that in writing otherwise I do not have contact with CPS or police unless required by the law. It is bad for business and always a risk to invite them into your life/business. If the accident did not happen at daycare then why do they need to speak to you?

Know your rights. Know what is obligated of you by law and what isn't. Only then can you help protect yourself and your daycare.
I would not have thought of this. Can we do This?
MrsB 06:29 AM 06-27-2012
Absolutely you have the right to not answer any questions from a police officer without an attorney present! Although in this instance, I would think if it was a case of you being suspected of anything, they would contact licensing first, would they not? You can even have them come by and at any point you can lawyer up.

I realize this didnt happen at your place, but in Maryland if something happens at your house and a child needs to seek urgent medical attention even if it is a parent driving them, we are to contact our licensing spe******t right away.

As others suggested, I would definatly contact your licensing agent but dont necessarily assume that your licensing spe******t is there to back you up!

Best of luck and let us know how it turns out!
Blackcat31 06:41 AM 06-27-2012
So this thread got me curious so I called my licensor. She said that because I am licensed through the state, I am obligated to speak with any law enforcement or human services representitive/worker in regards to any child that is enrolled in my program.

She said that if I refuse to talk to them when they have questions, I can lose my license as part of the licensing process is agreeing to cooperate with all authorities in regards to daycare children. (she said she thought we even sign something to this effect in all the intial application paperwork).

She is going to see if she can find where in our rules and state statutes it says this and let me know.

FWIW~ I have no idea if this applies to everyone in every situation but I called just to know for sure.
MrsB 07:07 AM 06-27-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
So this thread got me curious so I called my licensor. She said that because I am licensed through the state, I am obligated to speak with any law enforcement or human services representitive/worker in regards to any child that is enrolled in my program.

She said that if I refuse to talk to them when they have questions, I can lose my license as part of the licensing process is agreeing to cooperate with all authorities in regards to daycare children. (she said she thought we even sign something to this effect in all the intial application paperwork).

She is going to see if she can find where in our rules and state statutes it says this and let me know.

FWIW~ I have no idea if this applies to everyone in every situation but I called just to know for sure.
I found this article and it has a lot of excellent information. Looks like your right BlackCat you are required to cooperate but it doesnt necessarily mean you have no rights. It just means that if you decide not to answer questions, if they have reason to believe that children are in danger they can suspend your license until a full investigation can be carried out.

http://nafcc.org/index.php?option=co...225&Itemid=219
MizzCheryl 09:38 AM 06-27-2012
Thanks for checking into that. I hope we never have to deal with it but it is nice to know.
GotKids 10:02 AM 06-27-2012
Ok talked to my agent and she said I have done everything right including saving the text that mom sent me saying she thought it happened after she left. She suggested documenting every time they have a bruise along with moms story and anytime they get any kind of bump here as well.

The officer was too busy to visit with me after met with mom so he just did a phone interview asking how long the child has been in my care, if he often comes with marks or odd injuries and if I had any reason to suspect things at home were less than perfect. I told him I felt mom was on top of everything at home and explained that this little one is extra exuberant and still in his clumsy stage. He thanked me for my time verified my address and birth date and ended the call.

Thanks for all the advice. I sure wish NE had daycare insurance. None of the carries seem to cover this area and a home endorsement only covers 1/2 the amount of children that a small license allows. I feel so unprotected.
gbcc 10:05 AM 06-27-2012
Originally Posted by Mom&Provider:
No one else has mentioned it, but the first thing that came to mind was that the parents lied and said it happened at daycare during their visit to the hospital!? Would they do that to you??

Very worrisome...call whoever you need to and make sure you get all the details from the officer(s) who come out, but know your rights before they come. I'd be open with them, I understand anything can be used in future, but you are not at fault here, so I wouldn't worry about that, and not talking would make you look a little off KWIM?!

Good luck and let us know how it goes....
This was my first thought as well I have never heard of police investigating a situation. Here in my state CPS would contact your daycare agency and work together to get answers. If police are involved, that states criminal charges. I would even consider having a lawyer present in case things are being blamed on you. Good luck, I hope it works out.
magsgma 03:53 AM 06-28-2012
Originally Posted by GotKids:
Ok talked to my agent and she said I have done everything right including saving the text that mom sent me saying she thought it happened after she left. She suggested documenting every time they have a bruise along with moms story and anytime they get any kind of bump here as well.

The officer was too busy to visit with me after met with mom so he just did a phone interview asking how long the child has been in my care, if he often comes with marks or odd injuries and if I had any reason to suspect things at home were less than perfect. I told him I felt mom was on top of everything at home and explained that this little one is extra exuberant and still in his clumsy stage. He thanked me for my time verified my address and birth date and ended the call.

Thanks for all the advice. I sure wish NE had daycare insurance. None of the carries seem to cover this area and a home endorsement only covers 1/2 the amount of children that a small license allows. I feel so unprotected.
He was too "busy" to speak with you about a serious injury to a child?
How do you know it was an official Police officer - did the number come up on caller ID?
I really understand your relief in not having a face to face interview with him, but I do not understand how a law enforcement officer could make a request for an interview and then drop it? Did he tape your conversation?
Usually if there are a certain number of ER visits within a small time frame the Hospital is required to report it. Perhaps this was just a case of the Hospital not following correct procedure.
I had a very "active" 2 year old for just a few months that had to have stitches right above his eye, Then a dislocated shoulder as well as other bumps and bruises I documented everything (this happened at home by the way -- usually the same - jumping on the bed)
I had an 18 month old come back to me after I was on vacation with a broken leg. I was never called or interviewed by anyone in either case...
I was surprised - I totally expected it.
I am happy for you that you didn't have to go through the red tape, I am just curious as to the "Officer's" handling of this situation, maybe he just felt that he "jumped the gun"? How is the little one handling his injury?
GotKids 04:15 AM 06-28-2012
Originally Posted by magsgma:
He was too "busy" to speak with you about a serious injury to a child?
He did meet with mom in person, all I can think of is that between our 2 conversations over the phone and their meeting he wasn't concerned but just going through the motions.

How do you know it was an official Police officer - did the number come up on caller ID? Yes the police dept does show up on caller id

I really understand your relief in not having a face to face interview with him, but I do not understand how a law enforcement officer could make a request for an interview and then drop it? I reallydoes get the feeling it was a going through the motions kind of thing. Out here police do the foot work before CPS does. Yet my state according to our training is 3rd for out of home placement for children.

Did he tape your conversation? If he did he didn't tell me. It wouldn't have bothered me either way.
Usually if there are a certain number of ER visits within a small time frame the Hospital is required to report it.

Perhaps this was just a case of the Hospital not following correct procedure. Could be I think it is pretty sad if they were concerned enough to make a report to wait so dang long to make any contact me or the parent. It happened on the 7th.

I had a very "active" 2 year old for just a few months that had to have stitches right above his eye, Then a dislocated shoulder as well as other bumps and bruises I documented everything (this happened at home by the way -- usually the same - jumping on the bed)

I had an 18 month old come back to me after I was on vacation with a broken leg. I was never called or interviewed by anyone in either case...
I was surprised - I totally expected it.

I am happy for you that you didn't have to go through the red tape, I am just curious as to the "Officer's" handling of this situation, maybe he just felt that he "jumped the gun"? How is the little one handling his injury?
The hardest part for the little guy is it limits him from water play in the afternoon. Other than that it hasn't slowed him down a lick.
magsgma 06:48 AM 06-28-2012
Originally Posted by GotKids:
The hardest part for the little guy is it limits him from water play in the afternoon. Other than that it hasn't slowed him down a lick.
LOL! Yes I know what you mean I had an 18 mos old with a leg cast and boy could he go!

Thanks for the clarification I was worried that it was just someone (neighbor or disgrunteled family member/friend) that was trying to make an issue. Like you said the time delay is a wonder........
Tags:cps, injury, liability, police
Reply Up