Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Will Be Closing.....
DaycareMama 04:21 AM 01-12-2018
I will be closing my daycare and have so many things I have aquired over 20 years. I have let go of the “crap” slowly but what’s left I want to sell. What is the best way to do this?
Craigslist is sketchy.... I live alone with my kids so meeting random people isn’t ideal.
I also don’t want to waste my time with no shows.
Should I go to the usps store and get flate rate shipping boxes and cram items in those?
I’m not to familiar with eBay....

Ugh please help. Looks like I will be closing almost 6 months earlier then planned and I need to get this stuffing moving
Blackcat31 06:37 AM 01-12-2018
Originally Posted by DaycareMama:
I will be closing my daycare and have so many things I have aquired over 20 years. I have let go of the “crap” slowly but what’s left I want to sell. What is the best way to do this?
Craigslist is sketchy.... I live alone with my kids so meeting random people isn’t ideal.
I also don’t want to waste my time with no shows.
Should I go to the usps store and get flate rate shipping boxes and cram items in those?
I’m not to familiar with eBay....

Ugh please help. Looks like I will be closing almost 6 months earlier then planned and I need to get this stuffing moving
Can you maybe do an indoor garage sale?
Unless it's warmer where you live then just have a regular yard sale.

Also maybe see if you can network with other providers in your area and have an "open house" for them to come walk through and look and see if they want anything. It's a nice way for a new provider just starting out to gather needed items for business.

Other than that, I would maybe advertise stuff on local Facebook pages if you have them in your area. Set up meeting in public places after they've communicated they are buying.

Good luck! I wish there was a super easy way for providers across the country to sell their furniture/equipment and supplies to each other without having to figure transportation and shipping costs.
Cat Herder 06:46 AM 01-12-2018
Facebook marketplace has been amazing for me.

I would never have a garage sale for safety, but market place allows me to vet buyers and decide how and where to deliver items.
DaycareMama 06:58 AM 01-12-2018
Unfortunately it’s cold here....more often then it’s not.
Facebook market place has been good for the most part but regardless of how many times you say “no holds” that’s all people want to do. Or they set up a time and don’t meet you.

I have thought about an indoor yard sale and gearing towards new or current daycares is exactly what I need.

How would you go about advertising that?
I remember going to one someone held and she sold everything!!! And quick. But I can’t remember how she advertised it or how I found it.
Cat Herder 07:23 AM 01-12-2018
Facebook market place has been good for the most part but regardless of how many times you say “no holds” that’s all people want to do. Or they set up a time and don’t meet you.
I require half payment via paypal, half on delivery (most just pay all online). I also only deliver with DH, both are concealed carry. No issues so far.
hwichlaz 08:45 AM 01-12-2018
Is there a local provider's association? Ours has a facebook group. Regular sales aren't allowed, but the admin would allow someone going out of business to post an ad, I'm sure.
Blackcat31 08:54 AM 01-12-2018
Unfortunately it’s cold here....more often then it’s not.

I have thought about an indoor yard sale and gearing towards new or current daycares is exactly what I need.

How would you go about advertising that?
I remember going to one someone held and she sold everything!!! And quick. But I can’t remember how she advertised it or how I found it.
Here providers will e-mail our licensor.
Our licensor will send out e-mails to ALL area providers passing on the info.

Is your area small enough to do something like that?
If you live in a large metro area, that might not work so well.
DaycareMama 11:21 AM 01-12-2018
Thank you all. I never thought to use pay pal to have people pay for items off facebook. Man.... I wish I had thought of that.

I did call my local child care Council and the most they will help with is letting me post on their Facebook page. Not much but will definitely help!!

Thank you all for the ideas
Baby Beluga 11:30 AM 01-12-2018
Thank you all. I never thought to use pay pal to have people pay for items off facebook. Man.... I wish I had thought of that.

I did call my local child care Council and the most they will help with is letting me post on their Facebook page. Not much but will definitely help!!

Thank you all for the ideas
There is a payment option directly from facebook now too.
Josiegirl 01:55 AM 01-13-2018
Wish you lived closer!
Unregistered 03:30 AM 01-13-2018
I've had two childcare garage sales (I've been in & out of the business) and both were really successful. I'm in a small town so advertised in the classifieds in the local paper.

I advertised it as a child care going out of business sale once and the other time Early childhood sale. I listed items such as toys, puzzles. Books, riding toys, porta cribs, high chairs, etc.
flying_babyb 02:19 PM 01-14-2018
Basement sale! One room sale? I know a lady who got a bunch of teachers together and opened her closed daycare for one Saturday for a "teacher blowout sale". By the end of the day everything was gone. Had a couple of the kids there selling cookies for a charity too.
Childcare-yps 08:48 PM 01-14-2018
Is anyone still selling daycare stuffs or going out of business soon? i am looking for furniture's, books, toys, etc....

Please let me know as Facebook never worked for me well, and i don't even how to search on Facebook for sell daycare items in my area. Would be great if anyone can help here.

Thanks!
Sunchimes 07:49 PM 01-15-2018
A lot of police stations have set up an area for people to exchange goods. In my town, there is a sign marking it, and I believe there is a camera to monitor.
Lei_lanib 08:02 AM 04-06-2018
Do you have a 4 seat or 6 seat Buggy?
Tags:closing daycare, closing daycare - how to, garage sale
Reply Up