Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Bothering Neighbors...
jenboo 10:24 AM 01-17-2014
Is anyone ever concerned about bothering their neighbors? I have a 14 almost 15 month old DCB. When we go outside (about an hour in the mornings) all he wants to do is crawl on the cement. He isn't walking much and definitely prefers to crawl. He wont stay on the grass, only wants the cement.
I purchased a superyard for him to play in. He is heavy so I cannot stand up and hold him the entire time. He doesn't want me to sit and hold him. No matter what i put in the superyard (favorite toys, new toys, household items, etc) he just cries and cries. I sit next to him, talk to him, drive toy cars along the top of the superyard...nothing seems to be working. As soon as I pick him up he stops crying.
This is week 3 of the superyard. The first week he cried. Second week he didnt. Third week he has been crying.
I'm worried that his crying might start bothering the neighbors...maybe i am just too paranoid. I live on a very quiet street.

He wont keep anything on his hands like gloves or socks unless they are taped but i dont think licensing would approve of that

Any thoughts??
Sugar Magnolia 10:34 AM 01-17-2014
Just wondering....what's wrong w letting him on the cement, if that's what makes him happy?
jenboo 10:35 AM 01-17-2014
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
Just wondering....what's wrong w letting him on the cement, if that's what makes him happy?
It tears up his hands and makes them bleed. He has really sensitive skin.
jenboo 10:39 AM 01-17-2014
Im also searching for a wagon to see if he likes going for ride but i do not have the extra money to buy anything right now.
Hopefully i will be licensed soon so i can enroll two more children and finally start purchasing items i think will really help out with out day.
Heidi 10:43 AM 01-17-2014
Put a pair (or 2) of long socks on his hands (I bought a size that fits my 13 yo in black). Then, put the shirt or jacket over the socks. They should go pretty much up to his armpits. None of my kiddos can get those off, but mittens are off in 30 seconds flat.
butterfly 10:50 AM 01-17-2014
I have a little guy who SCREAMS when we go out in the winter. He does not like to be cold. Everyone else is playing happily and this kid SCREAMS. I'm not so worried about disrupting the neighbors as the neighbors thinking I'm harming this child. Our outdoor time is short when it's cold.

I like PP's idea of putting long socks on.

jenboo 10:50 AM 01-17-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:
Put a pair (or 2) of long socks on his hands (I bought a size that fits my 13 yo in black). Then, put the shirt or jacket over the socks. They should go pretty much up to his armpits. None of my kiddos can get those off, but mittens are off in 30 seconds flat.
Ill try under the jacket. I didnt think of that. I didnt put his jacket on because i was worried he would get too hot with the socks and jacket.
Heidi 10:52 AM 01-17-2014
Originally Posted by jenboo:
Ill try under the jacket. I didnt think of that. I didnt put his jacket on because i was worried he would get too hot with the socks and jacket.
Just take his shirt off, do the socks, then shirt back on. I noticed after I posted that you're in Nevada. I'm in WI. Overheating is not currently an issue here.
jenboo 10:53 AM 01-17-2014
Originally Posted by butterfly:
I have a little guy who SCREAMS when we go out in the winter. He does not like to be cold. Everyone else is playing happily and this kid SCREAMS. I'm not so worried about disrupting the neighbors as the neighbors thinking I'm harming this child. Our outdoor time is short when it's cold.

I like PP's idea of putting long socks on.

Thankfully this is not a scream, just a cry. I couldnt image what they would think if it was a scream.

Its been sunny and warm here thank goodness
jenboo 10:54 AM 01-17-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:
Just take his shirt off, do the socks, then shirt back on. I noticed after I posted that you're in Nevada. I'm in WI. Overheating is not currently an issue here.
haha ok ill try that next week. We are only in the high 50's to low 70's but in direct sun so it definitely gets hot outside.
melilley 11:21 AM 01-17-2014
I don't worry about my neighbors at all when the kids are outside, even if they are loud. I live on a quiet street as well.

Most of my neighbors are at work during the day and the one neighbor that lives next to me is sometimes home, but he has a rooster that drives me insane at the butt crack of dawn, so I tend not to care if we are too loud.
melilley 11:24 AM 01-17-2014
Im also searching for a wagon to see if he likes going for ride but i do not have the extra money to buy anything right now.
Hopefully i will be licensed soon so i can enroll two more children and finally start purchasing items i think will really help out with out day.
Check CL for a wagon! Also, you could always get a cheap umbrella stroller in the meantime.
Cat Herder 11:30 AM 01-17-2014
You could pick up a small roll of indoor/outdoor carpeting meant for decks, toss it over the cement and dump a bucket of cheap duplo blocks out for him. It can fold away for storage easily, too.
jenboo 11:36 AM 01-17-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
You could pick up a small roll of indoor/outdoor carpeting meant for decks, toss it over the cement and dump a bucket of cheap duplo blocks out for him. It can fold away for storage easily, too.
Thats a good idea but the cement area is huge. Our grass is a little over 1800 sq feet and there is at least the same amount of cement.
jenboo 11:38 AM 01-17-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
Check CL for a wagon! Also, you could always get a cheap umbrella stroller in the meantime.
I have been checking. people want $40+ for a two seater wagon. maybe im just too cheap I want one without seats and i dont want to pay more than $20...i need to look at garage sales
melilley 11:45 AM 01-17-2014
I have been checking. people want $40+ for a two seater wagon. maybe im just too cheap I want one without seats and i dont want to pay more than $20...i need to look at garage sales
I'm the same, I would never pay over $20 for a wagon! Garage sale season is coming up..yay! Well I guess in a few months, but still...lol
jenboo 11:46 AM 01-17-2014
I'm the same, I would never pay over $20 for a wagon! Garage sale season is coming up..yay! Well I guess in a few months, but still...lol
garage sale season....isn't that all year long??
Im so glad i dont live where it snows
melilley 11:54 AM 01-17-2014
garage sale season....isn't that all year long??
Im so glad i dont live where it snows
Lol, after I wrote that I thought that to myself. You live in Nevada, I'm in MI where there is enough snow for everyone!
jenboo 12:28 PM 01-17-2014
Lol, after I wrote that I thought that to myself. You live in Nevada, I'm in MI where there is enough snow for everyone!
I came from San Diego so at least i kinda have two seasons now instead of one
Mister Sir Husband 05:24 PM 01-17-2014
but he has a rooster that drives me insane at the butt crack of dawn, so I tend not to care if we are too loud.
Now that's just funny....
Tags:crying, neighbor issue, neighbors
Reply Up