Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCB Turning 1 In 2 Wks...No More Bottles?!?
happykidschildcare 06:49 AM 01-14-2011
DCM comes in this morning @ 6:30 announces 11 1/2 mo old doesnt need a bottle anymore! He is here from 6:30 til 3 pm, she hands me a sippy cup and says he can have juice. She hasnt switched him from formula to milk yet, so I cant give him milk. Is she serious? I have 2 other 1 1/2 yrs olds the babygirl still has her bottle the babyboy has a cup that looks more like a bottle, its like a sippy with a soft nuk mouth. So Im suppose to just give them theirs and ya know the 11 1/2 month old is going to be like what the heck wheres mine?
ok what do I do, say something to first time mom? or just give DCB a bottle anyways, or just listen to fuss all day with a cup?
SandeeAR 06:54 AM 01-14-2011
I switched my dcb at one to a sippy cup before his mom did. He was having a sippy cup at meals with his milk and a couple of bottles during the day. One day, instead of the bottle, I handed him the sippy with his milk. He drank it right down. Never used the bottle again. Told Mom how he did and she was excited. She told me when she tried at home he really fussed. I told her, just to hid the bottles and only offer the cup.

After one week, I sent the bottle home with Mom.

She tried it the next week, hid the bottles, and he took his cup.

BTW, I have a 9 mo and 5 mo old, so he sees bottles all day long., never fusses.
Crystal 07:41 AM 01-14-2011
I do not give the bottle after 1. They do not need it. The point of the bottle is to make sure that infants are getting the appropriate nutrition. By one, they should be eating solids well and do not need a bottle.
tenderhearts 07:42 AM 01-14-2011
So do you just offer the sippy cup at snack and lunch time? I have a just turned 1 yr old dcb and we are starting to wean the bottle, so we're going to take out the middle bottle so he'll just have his am bottle and hope to get the rest from his cup at meals but I don't know if he'll drink enough milk. He doesn't particularly like the cup, he'll drink from it but not a lot, oh and he wouldn't use a sippy cup we had to use a straw.
JenNJ 08:08 AM 01-14-2011
I have parents do all major transitions at home first. I di not stop bottles until 12 months. I feed all babies under 12 months formula or breastmilk BC that is proper nutrition. I don't switch over to milk until mom and dad have and I don't wean kids from bottles. That is a parenting responsibility.
SandeeAR 08:12 AM 01-14-2011
I wouldn't normally "wean" someone elses child, but this little guy was picking up dcg's cup and starting to drink out of it. I leave the cups on the kids table in the kitchen, so they can drink when they need it. So I thought, why not, and just started giving him is own cup on the table too (not just at meals), he took right to it! Btw, this little guy is like having a grandchild, so Mom was excited. She didn't feel I was taking her job.
tenderhearts 08:16 AM 01-14-2011
You don't help assist the parent if they say they are cutting back bottles? My dcm said they are starting to wean him and asked my suggestion of which bottle first, I told her I thought the middle day bottle so she said ok, I do what the parents are doing and help them.
JenNJ 08:44 AM 01-14-2011
Originally Posted by tenderhearts:
You don't help assist the parent if they say they are cutting back bottles?
This DCM isn't cutting back or weaning, she is asking the OP to stop all bottles and formula. Cutting back I will help with, but having an 11 month old drink only juice while in my care and taking ALL bottles away out of the blue? No. I think it is wrong for this DCM to ask her provider to stop bottles cold turkey. Plus this child is off formula and has not started milk. Babies need the fats from formula and breastmilk for brain development. Juice is not an acceptable alternative to formula or breastmilk.

I have all babies on sippy cups by 8 months here. Usually the transition to sippy cups is easy in my program.

1. It is not proper nutrition for an 11.5 month old to go 8.5 waking hours with only juice to drink. A BABY under the age of 12 months is supposed to be drinking breastmilk or formula, not juice. Proper nutrition dictates that I give a child that age whole fruits and veggies, not juice.

2. I am not dealing with the tantrums that this child would have by watching other babies drink from bottles bc his mother decided she is done with bottles. If she wants him off bottles at 11.5 months, she needs to do the hard part at home and wean him off. I don't do the cold turkey thing for bottles. I am not the parent, it is not my job.
nannyde 08:45 AM 01-14-2011
I decide when the switch over. When they are willing and able (without any adult involvement) to drink four ounces of milk from our cups then they switch.
laundrymom 09:33 AM 01-14-2011
I start them on a sippy when they start a spoon. By about 10-11 mo they want less bottles. Transition is easy then.
Blackcat31 09:38 AM 01-14-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
I do not give the bottle after 1. They do not need it. The point of the bottle is to make sure that infants are getting the appropriate nutrition. By one, they should be eating solids well and do not need a bottle.
ditto.......
Childminder 09:40 AM 01-14-2011
If you are on the food program that is their guideline. Pretty much what happens here.
lil angels 09:52 AM 01-14-2011
I start them early here to and they seem to not really care if the have it or not and I just get rid of it. Normally at a year you can put formula in a cup to. But I would let her know the food program does not allow for the juice. You have to have them on milk by 1 also. I have a child that has not had a bottle since she was 13 months and she is almost 2 and still has one at night. Another one that still has one at night and she is 21/2 yrs old. crazy
Blackcat31 09:57 AM 01-14-2011
I had a dcm years ago who fed her boys breastmilk until they were 5 years old. She put it in a cup when they were ready for a sippy and just brought me frozen breastmilk as needed. (They stopped actual nursing while infants) I had a little boy ask me once why Teddy always got special milk and could he have some too..."ummm, nope sorry." After the two boys turned 5 mom switched to almond milk. Never allowed to have any dairy products....to each his own....
cillybean83 10:07 AM 01-14-2011
my son was doing sooooo good on his sippy cup, well he got really sick and reverted back to wanting a bottle to sleep with....he'll be 13 months on the 19th :\

after he's over whatever the heck it is that he has, we're starting from scratch and taking the bottle all over again
daysofelijah 10:55 AM 01-14-2011
I don't do bottles after 12 months. I would tell her she needs to bring bottles until his birthday though.
E Daycare 05:48 PM 01-14-2011
My sons 18 months and I started to offer the sippy way before his 1st bday. Then weaned him down to no bottle two weeks after he turned 1 along with weaning off of formula. He never fussed for a bottle and thinks the 11mo old dcg bottle is her "eww milk" lol.

Now my new dcb mother has told me she still gives him a night time bottle and she felt ashamed but cant break it even though she knows she needs to. The other day he arrived with a bottle so I dont know what to believe but as soon as he comes in I take it away and give him a cup as hes perfectly able to use one. I cant help for that night time bottle but I can for the time hes here to keep him from regressing. Im lucky though because he doesnt fuss for it when I take it from him.
Unregistered 03:42 PM 01-16-2011
Originally Posted by happykidschildcare:
DCM comes in this morning @ 6:30 announces 11 1/2 mo old doesnt need a bottle anymore! He is here from 6:30 til 3 pm, she hands me a sippy cup and says he can have juice. She hasnt switched him from formula to milk yet, so I cant give him milk. Is she serious? I have 2 other 1 1/2 yrs olds the babygirl still has her bottle the babyboy has a cup that looks more like a bottle, its like a sippy with a soft nuk mouth. So Im suppose to just give them theirs and ya know the 11 1/2 month old is going to be like what the heck wheres mine?
ok what do I do, say something to first time mom? or just give DCB a bottle anyways, or just listen to fuss all day with a cup?
Good for Mom babies do not need bottles when they turn 12 months and are off of formula. he should have a cup of milk with each meal and water or juice with snacks. I do not give any child in care a bottle when they turn 12 months.
renodeb 12:00 PM 01-19-2011
I usually ask the parent what there goals are with the child when the times near, usually around 6-7 months I start offering the cup even if child isnt to pro on it, (parents usually dont mind that I start) I usually start transitioning the child off of the cup around 10 mos and by the time there 1 they are usually bottle free. Exception: I have a 15 m/o in my dc and mom still gives here a bottle at home but none here. Havent wanted to push the issue but, it is her 4th child! I have found that most parents dont mind me starting as long as there drinking enough which has never been as issue!
Cold turkey is kinda harsh I would say something to mom. I have never had a child who was on the bottle want his if he sees other kids still on the bottle. They usually progrees quite well. Let us know what happens!
Debbie
Abigail 12:23 PM 01-19-2011
Is this something that should be outlined in our handbook about infant food/beverages? Or can I simply state that we'll discuss foods and infants as the time arises and that I must follow all food program guidelines, then just give them the website to the food program guidelines or a paper that says what they are?
Cat Herder 01:09 PM 01-19-2011
No formula/breast milk bottles after 12 months here.

Juice is only served in a cup from 8 months on. Milk is only served in a cup once parents successfully make the transition at home.

I will give them a bottle of water and a cup of formula at mealtimes if they are having a difficult transition. Typically that does not last long.

If parents are doing the "bottle at nap times" crutch, then I will offer the water bottle at nap. Again, it does not take long until they are not interested.
happykidschildcare 01:03 PM 04-01-2011
i found the best sippy cup for the switch from bottle to cup...gpt one for all the babies here, cuz the normal sippy cups leak so much!! transistion was easier then I expected
jen 04:11 PM 04-01-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
ditto.......
ditto.............
safechner 04:35 PM 04-01-2011
I think it is perfectly fine to give him a sippy cup at 11 1/2 month old. You can put formula in a sippy cup if needed.

To be honest, I have given both of my girls sippy cup at 3 months old. I am not kidding you. They don't like to take bottles at all since I breastfed both of my girls when they were babies. I have no problem at all for them to drink a sippy cup.
Tags:bottle, bottle no more
Reply Up