Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Trampolines
Meyou 03:16 AM 03-20-2011
I'm looking for a few opinions on trampolines and daycare. My kids (7 and 12) desperately want one this summer. First off, the details of my situation and the rules we will follow.

Insurance WILL cover the trampoline in my yard as long as it has a safety net and bumper pads with it.

I will have a one child at a time rule.

I will have a no trampoline without a grownup outside rule.

Both these rules are in place for other things and we had no rule breakers last summer.

It will be used primarily by children 7 and up during naptime.

Children 4 and up will be allowed turns only when I am physically at the trampoline. These are very physical 4 year olds...I have 4 of them here. They run, climb trees, swim, ice skate and are generally rough and tumble kids because we spend alot of time outdoors.

Just adding that in the summer we spend 9:30am to 1pm at a nearby lake for swimming lessons and just fun beach times. Kids under 5 nap from 1:15 to 3:15 and then get time in the yard from 3:30pm to close. All of these rules have been in place for the pools in the yard for the past 2 years and this crew of 4 year olds has had no trouble following them. I trust them which is one of the only reasons I'm considering the trampoline.

So opinions, thoughts? I'm very undecided about it primarily because I've heard so many trampoline horror stories. My one person at a time rule was made for that reason.
morgan24 04:11 AM 03-20-2011
I think they are fun and I love to jump on them myself. Be sure to check your state licensing rules, because here in MI your aren't allowed to have them.

I think you have a good set of guidelines that you are planning on using, so I think it would work. I would also make sure you have permission from the parents that it's okay for the kids to use it.

I'll have to admit I have never heard a trampoline horror story.
Meyou 05:08 AM 03-20-2011
My ex sister in law is a pediatric nurse and there are hundreds of trampoline accidents each year in the children's here. There are alot of broken bones and concussions. Most from improper use I'm assuming.

I'm not liscensed and I'm not required to be in my province with the ratios I keep. I get a parent waiver for every activity we do like this...swimming, bus travel, car travel, field trips etc.
QualiTcare 05:32 AM 03-20-2011
i've been fighting to get my own kids a trampoline since my oldest could walk. my parents never would get me one and i wanted one soooo badly! my husband is dead set against it so the conversations have never lasted long - i've even tried to tell him they have safety nets, etc.

then yesterday he said he saw a trampoline with a net and pads around it and it looked really safe! i was like, "did you have some "tragic accident" on a trampoline or something?" he did! he wants to get go karts and motorcycles, but is afraid of a trampoline because HE got hurt on one.

if you think you can stand by your rules, i say go for it. i know the kids will love it.
Lilbutterflie 06:19 AM 03-20-2011
My SIL used to run a daycare and had a 12 ft trampoline with a safety net/bumpers. She had a rule of no shoes, no toys, and max 3 at one time. She was always physically in the trampoline with the younger ones; and she would never allow the age groups to mix (the older ones could not use the trampoline while the younger ones were on it). She did this for 2-3 years and never had one incident other than her own dd got a bruised wrist from landing on it wrong.

There can be injuries, but if you follow your rules I think the injuries would be minimal. You still just never know. It's a risk I'd be willing to take with my own children, but I don't know if I'd be willing to take the risk with daycare kids myself.

I would advise you to talk with all of your parents and get the okay from all of them first. You could have them sign a form stating they are aware of the risks of a trampoline, agree to allow their child to use it, and understand that you have insurance that can help cover the costs of the injury.
JenNJ 06:38 AM 03-20-2011
I would never have a trampoline for my kids or daycare kids. They are the single most dangerous toy/piece of equipment. WAY too many serious injuries.
MyAngels 06:50 AM 03-20-2011
I had a 5 y/o dcg who broke her arm on her neighbor's trampoline. It had safety nets, bumpers, and her mother standing just a couple of feet away. I don't think I would feel comfortable allowing other people's children to use a piece of equipment that has so many stories like this attached to it, insurance or not.

As the PP said, you should also check to see with your licensing agency to see if it would even be allowed. They are not allowed where I live.
TBird 07:00 AM 03-20-2011
We love our trampoline...as far as time spent and entertainment value, it's the best "toy" purchase we've ever made. 5 years, 3 children, countless parties....no one has ever gotten hurt (aside from the occasional head bump or accidental kick).

With all that said, I still wouldn't use it for daycare...uh uh...no no. Parents are already too finicky, scared and opinionated these days, so I would never take that chance. In my humble opinion, I would buy it for my kids 20 times over but NO DAYCARE KIDS ALLOWED!
nannyde 07:25 AM 03-20-2011
I care for ages birth to five so they wouldn't be allowed in my business.

http://www.dhs.state.ia.us/policyana...er/comm143.pdf

Trampolines

Trampolines are not developmentally appropriate for use with children under age five (National Program for Playground Safety: 800-554-PLAY). Trampoline-related injuries have almost tripled since 1991. According to the National SAFE KIDS Campaign, nearly 82,000 children under age 14 were treated in hospital emergency rooms for trampoline-related injuries in 2000. More than 90% of trampoline-related injuries occur in home-like settings, including child care. Injuries mostly involve the arms and legs. Since 1990, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission has received reports of six deaths involving trampolines. The following caused these deaths:
♦ Colliding with another person on the trampoline
♦ Landing improperly while jumping or doing stunts on the trampoline
♦ Falling or jumping off the trampoline
♦ Falling on the trampoline springs or frame
REASON: Almost all of the trampolines associated with injuries were located in backyards. Here are some rules to follow to prevent serious trampoline injuries.
♦ Allow only one person on the trampoline at a time.
♦ Do not attempt or allow somersaults.
♦ Use shock-absorbing pads that completely cover the springs, hooks, and the frame.
♦ Place the trampoline away from structures and other play areas.
♦ Ladders should not be used. They provide unsupervised access by small children.
♦ Children under age six should NOT use a full-sized trampoline.
♦ ALWAYS SUPERVISE
COMMENTS: For further information regarding trampoline safety, contact the National Program for Playground Safety at 800-554-PLAY located at the University of Northern Iowa. The Consumer Product Safety Commission also has information about trampoline use at 1-800-638-2772 or online at http://www.cpsc.gov.
safechner 07:31 AM 03-20-2011
I had one for 5 years but it worn out. We are planning to buy another one this summer. If you are licensed, you will need to check with your state licensing rules to make sure they are allowed or not. I live in Texas and it is not allowed to use Trampoline for daycare kids. I am only allowing my kids to play on trampoline.
nannyde 07:31 AM 03-20-2011
Originally Posted by Meyou:
My ex sister in law is a pediatric nurse and there are hundreds of trampoline accidents each year in the children's here. There are alot of broken bones and concussions. Most from improper use I'm assuming.

I'm not liscensed and I'm not required to be in my province with the ratios I keep. I get a parent waiver for every activity we do like this...swimming, bus travel, car travel, field trips etc.
I don't think the parents can really sign waivers here in the U.S. that would sign away the health insurance companies right to sue the provider.

Trampolines are one example of parents permission only being one small piece of the total liability pie. There are other entities that have a stake in the child. I know you guys have universal health care and we don't. That's a big difference when you are talking about even simple medical care being VERY expensive here.

Even with a lower level injury like a broken arm, it could put the provider in a money deal that would be more than the provider even makes a year with the kid.
nannyde 07:42 AM 03-20-2011
Originally Posted by JenNJ:
I would never have a trampoline for my kids or daycare kids. They are the single most dangerous toy/piece of equipment. WAY too many serious injuries.
I'm with you on this.

I think there is a growing movement across our country that parents, the State, insurerers etc... want NO accidents in child care. NONE

There's a current thread here about a parent being pretty upset over a wet diaper after naptime which is a very minor situation. That level of expectation to not make any mistakes works it's way into the decisions we make about fun versus injuries.

With that kind of pressure on us we pretty much have to lean towards eliminating anything that has obvious injury risk. We have enough to worry about to not have any bumps, scrapes, and cuts.
TBird 08:27 AM 03-20-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I'm with you on this.

I think there is a growing movement across our country that parents, the State, insurerers etc... want NO accidents in child care. NONE

There's a current thread here about a parent being pretty upset over a wet diaper after naptime which is a very minor situation. That level of expectation to not make any mistakes works it's way into the decisions we make about fun versus injuries.

With that kind of pressure on us we pretty much have to lean towards eliminating anything that has obvious injury risk. We have enough to worry about to not have any bumps, scrapes, and cuts.
I'd have to agree...parents are worried about a hang nail these days....could you imagine if something happened on my trampoline??? No thanks......my kids only!!!
Meyou 01:59 PM 03-20-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
REASON: Almost all of the trampolines associated with injuries were located in backyards. Here are some rules to follow to prevent serious trampoline injuries.
♦ Allow only one person on the trampoline at a time.
♦ Do not attempt or allow somersaults.
♦ Use shock-absorbing pads that completely cover the springs, hooks, and the frame.
♦ Place the trampoline away from structures and other play areas.
♦ Ladders should not be used. They provide unsupervised access by small children.
♦ Children under age six should NOT use a full-sized trampoline.
♦ ALWAYS SUPERVISE
My 4 year olds are easily as physically able as 5 year olds. I have a really active, fit group and only children who's parents agree would be allowed on the trampoline.

Other than that I meet all the recommended safety requirements. It's an 8' trampoline.

The injuries are always a concern but again I have a fit group. They climb trees, swim, race around and play hard. Technically they are always at risk for injury which their parents have always been fine with. Please don't misunderstand that I have an unsafe environment. We have strict rules but I let them be kids, get filthy, play hard and stay busy.

I'm still really undecided. I'm going to ask the parents tomorrow but I have a feeling I'll hear what I usually do which is I can do whatever I think is best for the kids.

Thanks for the opinions everyone. very helpful for me.
nannyde 02:06 PM 03-20-2011
My 4 year olds are easily as physically able as 5 year olds. I have a really active, fit group and only children who's parents agree would be allowed on the trampoline.

Other than that I meet all the recommended safety requirements. It's an 8' trampoline.

The injuries are always a concern but again I have a fit group. They climb trees, swim, race around and play hard. Technically they are always at risk for injury which their parents have always been fine with. Please don't misunderstand that I have an unsafe environment. We have strict rules but I let them be kids, get filthy, play hard and stay busy.

I'm still really undecided. I'm going to ask the parents tomorrow but I have a feeling I'll hear what I usually do which is I can do whatever I think is best for the kids.

Thanks for the opinions everyone. very helpful for me.
Oh I don't think you have an unsafe environment. I was just pointing out that in my State we don't have a choice about it for the birth to five age group. I don't have to worry about making the decision because they make it for me. We can't go against their age ranges on this regardless of our kids capability.

I think in my State it would be impossible to get insurance on your home (that housed day care) or a separate policy for your day care if you had a trampoline for kids under six because of the regulations. I've never tried. Every insurance application I have seen has the trampoline question on it. Because the State doesn't allow it, it would eliminate the possibility of having either home owners or day care insurance.

I only do birth to five so it's just out of the question here.
momatheart 02:10 PM 03-20-2011
How about a small trampoline little deal that has a bar that comes up that the child can hold onto while jumping? I would have the same rules for that but add that they must be holding onto the bars at all times. This would be for younger kids.

I would not ever purchase one I think they are dangerous. I sliced my lip open on one as a young kid in gymnastics. I was on it alone and did a summer sault in the air landed on my bottom and my knee came up and bumped my lip slicing it wide open. No scar but scared me like crazy.
KEG123 02:16 PM 03-20-2011
I would never.
MN Day Mom 05:38 PM 03-20-2011
I wish they weren't so dangerous!!

My daughter broke her arm on a friends tramp last summer. Tramps always worried me and we had a rule that she couldn't go on any tramp unless it had netting and pads. All the padding and netting in the world wouldn't have of prevented my daughters break. Now we have a rule of no tramps at all.
Blackcat31 06:05 PM 03-20-2011
A trampoline is the one thing my kids asked for year after year and NEVER got one. Too dangerous and too many risk facotrs. Just way too many cons versus pros. The "what if" factor was too big for my comfort.
AnythingsPossible 05:04 AM 03-21-2011
We used to have a trampoline that my kids wanted badly and hardly used. State regulations wouldn't allow daycare kids on the trampoline, so it was just for my children. It was in a corner of the yard, and the kids just had to understand that it was for my kids and not them. We had a couple of twisted body parts and my daughter got the wind knocked out of her a time or two.
A daycare family i have, there youngest (4) broke her leg on their trampoline when her sister landed on her.
They can be fun, but they can be dangerous. If your licensed, make sure you can use it before you offer it up to the kids.
AfterSchoolMom 05:14 AM 03-21-2011
My neighbor had one for her children, and they had to get rid of it because they had a BIG problem with kids from all over coming and jumping on it without permission while they weren't home or outside/aware of it. Once, my neighbor even caught a child jumping from her deck to the trampoline.

I also have another friend who's child broke their leg on a trampoline just by normal jumping, straight up and down, with a safety net present. Those are the kinds of non-preventable accidents that I'd be afraid of.
daysofelijah 05:16 AM 03-21-2011
I don't think you can even have a trampoline within daycare access here in MN? If you can the rules are really strict. Parents have to sign a waiver and you have to be within arms reach of the child on the trampoline the whole time. Too much risk and too much work.
wdmmom 05:37 AM 03-21-2011
My 2 younger sisters and I had a trampoline growing up. It never had an enclosure and we got a few bumps and bruises because of our own stupidity. As for accidents, there weren't any. We never got injured, hurt, broke the skin, let alone any bones.

I bought a trampoline for my own kids 2 years ago. It has an enclosure and there's never been an accident. Kids from the neighborhood are welcome to come play along as I receive a note saying it is "Okay" from their parents and that they assume liability.

My kids know they are only allowed 2 at a time and that no flips are allowed. Most of the time they play made up games. They don't jump in the dark and they don't jump when it's wet or has dew on it.

I firmly believe that most of the accidents that occur are because parents buy a trampoline as a "babysitter" rather than watching the kids themselves. It's a matter of personal perspective. I watch my kids and there are rules set in place for a reason. They know if they don't follow the rules, they lose out of the fun a week at a time.
Blackcat31 05:40 AM 03-21-2011
Originally Posted by daysofelijah:
I don't think you can even have a trampoline within daycare access here in MN? If you can the rules are really strict. Parents have to sign a waiver and you have to be within arms reach of the child on the trampoline the whole time. Too much risk and too much work.
My licensor said that she was not aware of any limitations or special waivers that are required for trampoline use in family daycares in MN. Several providers in our area have them. She also said that if we have our parents sign a waiver or permission slip that it does not release us from any liability for anything that happens on daycare property. She said it would be no different than having an accident on our playground...still our responsibility.
MN Day Mom 05:54 AM 03-21-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
My licensor said that she was not aware of any limitations or special waivers that are required for trampoline use in family daycares in MN. Several providers in our area have them. She also said that if we have our parents sign a waiver or permission slip that it does not release us from any liability for anything that happens on daycare property. She said it would be no different than having an accident on our playground...still our responsibility.
I was told this same thing.... and then quickly advised not to get one Waivers won't protect anyone in the states.... still your property and you will be liable if someone gets hurt on your property.
boysx5 06:12 AM 03-21-2011
I wouldn't get one we are not allowed to use them in childcare but our neighbors were sued when a child got on it in the rain and broke his arm
SimpleMom 07:00 AM 03-21-2011
I've heard your insurance goes up with a trampoline in your yard?? Personally, I don't use one due to accidents and liability, but I do know others that do and the kids have a lot of fun. Maybe you could put it in the yard off limits to DC?
My daughter sprained her ankle on one of those inflatable ones at DC. I really am not about sueing, but so many people are these days, so I would be careful.
SimpleMom 07:02 AM 03-21-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I took a business class years ago and was also told that waivers are a piece of paper to ward OFF parents from sueing, but usually don't hold up in court. Responsibility still lands on providers.
Meyou 08:12 AM 03-22-2011
Well the parents all gave me some version of "Ooh sounds fun! As long as you think it's safe." So no help there.

I think, and if I still feel the same this weekend, we're going to get one with safety net, bumper pads and no ladder. We'll try a one child at a time and only with a grownup at the trampoline rule for the older kids and see how it goes. One parent pointed out that if there were issues at all I can just give the trampoline the same rules as the pool and the side yard. I have a "this tall" mark and noone shorter than the mark is allowed in the area of the pool or an area that is partially unfenced. It's always worked for me.

Thanks for all the opinions everyone. It gave me lots to think about and definately influenced my decision.
krystamichelle 09:55 AM 03-22-2011
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
My neighbor had one for her children, and they had to get rid of it because they had a BIG problem with kids from all over coming and jumping on it without permission while they weren't home or outside/aware of it. Once, my neighbor even caught a child jumping from her deck to the trampoline.

I also have another friend who's child broke their leg on a trampoline just by normal jumping, straight up and down, with a safety net present. Those are the kinds of non-preventable accidents that I'd be afraid of.
This is the ONLY reason that we won't have one. I would be too worried about the neighborhood kids and a lawsuit.

That said, if you can keep them out and have those rules in place, I would go for it. One way to help prevent injuries is to bury it. Meaning, you could dig a hole so that it is flush with the ground. That way when they're jumping, they're not that high from the ground in case of a mishap.
happykidschildcare 01:19 PM 03-23-2011
2 summers ago I bought the small trampoline with the enclosure made for 1 child at a time ages 2-6, that year when my licensor checked in she said I had to put it away or get rid of it that it wasnt allowed
Kids were all pretty bummed
JJPlaycare 06:32 AM 03-24-2011
For those of you who only allow your children on it, do you let them jump on it while daycare is there or do they have to wait until daycare is gone for the day! If you allow them to jump while daycare is there how does that go over with the kids and their parents??
sahm2three 06:42 AM 03-24-2011
I'm looking for a few opinions on trampolines and daycare. My kids (7 and 12) desperately want one this summer. First off, the details of my situation and the rules we will follow.

Insurance WILL cover the trampoline in my yard as long as it has a safety net and bumper pads with it.

I will have a one child at a time rule.

I will have a no trampoline without a grownup outside rule.

Both these rules are in place for other things and we had no rule breakers last summer.

It will be used primarily by children 7 and up during naptime.

Children 4 and up will be allowed turns only when I am physically at the trampoline. These are very physical 4 year olds...I have 4 of them here. They run, climb trees, swim, ice skate and are generally rough and tumble kids because we spend alot of time outdoors.

Just adding that in the summer we spend 9:30am to 1pm at a nearby lake for swimming lessons and just fun beach times. Kids under 5 nap from 1:15 to 3:15 and then get time in the yard from 3:30pm to close. All of these rules have been in place for the pools in the yard for the past 2 years and this crew of 4 year olds has had no trouble following them. I trust them which is one of the only reasons I'm considering the trampoline.

So opinions, thoughts? I'm very undecided about it primarily because I've heard so many trampoline horror stories. My one person at a time rule was made for that reason.
I have one. I had to have an enclosure and also a lock on it so that they could not enter it without my knowledge. You can buy expensive trampoline locks, or do what we did. We went and bought 2 bicycle chains and link them together and then string it thru the opening of the enclosure. But check with licensing first!
Unregistered 05:31 AM 07-02-2018
If trampolines at daycare are equipped properly with safety nets and jumping pads, it will definitely reduce the tension of parents too much extent. According to me, bouncing is a kid's favorite activity. We shouldn’t stop them from this but we can teach them the instruction that they have to follow while playing on a trampoline.
LysesKids 06:52 AM 07-02-2018
Originally Posted by morgan24:
I think they are fun and I love to jump on them myself. Be sure to check your state licensing rules, because here in MI your aren't allowed to have them.

I think you have a good set of guidelines that you are planning on using, so I think it would work. I would also make sure you have permission from the parents that it's okay for the kids to use it.

I'll have to admit I have never heard a trampoline horror story.
I have... my neighbors had one & my older daughter broke her arm (14 at the time) because the netting gave way when she hit the side. I hate trampolines. Even after breaking her arm, it didn't deter her as an adult to get one for her own kids - It was given away a year later lol
LysesKids 06:58 AM 07-02-2018
again old post LOL
Tags:outside play, safety, trampoline
Reply Up