Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pets??
littlefriends 03:59 PM 09-11-2019
I have 4 cats (2 inside only and 2 outside only) and a 18lb Boston terrier (she’s 9 mo old). My dck’s are not allowed to touch any of my pets without asking first. Our dog is well trained (doesn’t jump up and is polite and well behaved) but I still don’t allow her out with us during drop off/pick ups and never leave her alone with the kids.
My question is this: what do you guys do when parents ask to see the pets during an interview?? I had one today and for the first time they asked if they could meet my animals.
I always have them all put away during interviews for their own safety and obviously the safety of the people coming into my house. I ended up getting the dog out but she peed on the floor (out of excitement-the people were over the top excitable saying hello to her) so I had to clean that up and then one of the kids stepped on her foot and made her yip.
I understand wanting to meet the pets I suppose. I don’t know what to say to the next people who ask. I immediately regretted letting her out.
springv 04:21 PM 09-11-2019
I would tell them that for the safety of your pets and the safety of themselves and their children that I don't let the pets out during interviews or daycare hours.
Josiegirl 04:26 PM 09-11-2019
I think if you hadn't let her meet the family, they would've thought of that as a red flag. If they know dogs at all, they wouldn't have been surprised about the excitable peeing greeting. Lol Brings back memories of me rushing to get my foot out of the way with my own dog who was notorious for it.

Out of all the dcfs I've ever interviewed with, I only had 1 dcd who asked to meet my dogs. And my first thought was omg no. One of my dogs is really sweet, other one is also but gets overly excited, jumping and everything, although not nearly as bad as she used to be. I could never break her of it so gave up. Anyways, the dcf were dog lovers and definitely knew the difference between mean and excited. They have a mastiff. And they signed on with me so trusted me in all ways. My dogs have been around the dc; dcfs were glad I had pets. It meant they didn't need to have one. Lol Only times I put them in the bedroom were during meal times, drop offs and pick ups.

I know many providers keep their animals separated and I can completely understand and respect that decision. My dogs are my family and love kids so for me it worked out. Risky? Sure. As is any thing in dc.
littlefriends 05:32 PM 09-11-2019
Josie-I think that’s where they were coming from (dog lovers)and genuinely wanted to see her because they wanted to pet her, etc. I don’t think they were trying to see if she’s aggressive or terribly behaved. And definitely yes-I was like ohhhhhh no, I don’t wanna get her out... but I also was thinking what if I say no and they get the impression something is wrong because of it. My pets are VERY loved; very much part of our family and she runs around the yard with the kids all day long. But I don’t want her getting hurt or hurting someone.
Second Home 05:20 AM 09-12-2019
I have always had many different kinds of pets while doing daycare.
Some they can see ( but not touch) in their cage like the lizzards and guinea pig . I only let possible new clients meet my dogs if I feel that the family is a good fit and would enroll their child .
CountryRoads 06:34 AM 09-12-2019
Oh, gosh. I would hope someone wouldn't ask to see our dogs

There's no hiding we have them. We have 2 and they are both medium-big. We have a german shepherd who barks aggressively when someone pulls up. She's a sweetheart, but her bark is intimidating.

I keep them in our fence during drop offs and pick ups. I'm sure our german is scary to some people, but all my families now are okay with her. I've had her inside before and all the kids love both of them.

I don't know what I would've done in your position. I think it would have been a little odd to tell them no, especially if your dog was going to be around the daycare kids. I probably would've just warned them that she gets excited and I would've held her while they pet her.
Cat Herder 06:51 AM 09-12-2019
I have a baby gate in the hallway just beyond the areas where daycare kids are allowed to go. Parents can go to the hall gate and pet them/give them a treat if they wish (2 indoor dogs, one small, one medium). I also keep their immunization forms posted by the front door along with my license.
Josiegirl 08:09 AM 09-12-2019
Originally Posted by CountryRoads:
Oh, gosh. I would hope someone wouldn't ask to see our dogs

There's no hiding we have them. We have 2 and they are both medium-big. We have a german shepherd who barks aggressively when someone pulls up. She's a sweetheart, but her bark is intimidating.

I keep them in our fence during drop offs and pick ups. I'm sure our german is scary to some people, but all my families now are okay with her. I've had her inside before and all the kids love both of them.

I don't know what I would've done in your position. I think it would have been a little odd to tell them no, especially if your dog was going to be around the daycare kids. I probably would've just warned them that she gets excited and I would've held her while they pet her.
German Shepherds were one of those dogs that went through a 'very scary dog' phase like dobermans, rotties, and pits. Sad because I've seen so many sweet and wonderful German Shepherds, Rottweilers and Pit Bulls over the years(can't recall seeing a Doberman). There's a dcprovider locally who's always had G.S., and not just 1 but usually 2-3 at a time.
Blackcat31 08:37 AM 09-12-2019
Personally I would never allow my pets to be around daycare kids. Not only for the safety of the daycare kids but for my pet's safety.

IF however, you do choose to allow your daycare kids and your pets to interact, then I think a family (even a potential family) has every right to ask to see and meet your pets.

As a parent I would have avoided a child care program that had pets who interact with the kids.

I am not saying it is wrong at all just that it's not something I would allow as a provider and is something I would have been super uncomfortable with as a parent.
littlefriends 09:37 AM 09-12-2019
I can definitely see a parent being concerned about unfamiliar pets, especially dogs, being around their kids. And any animal can be a potential risk with anyone, especially small children. I’m just not wanting to come off to potential clients as “no, you can’t meet the dog” and have them think something like she’s dangerous. But then also if I let her out to meet then having her get hurt.
Some of my parents have actually chosen my house because of my having pets and they don’t have any and want their kids to have that experience.
I guess I’m just looking for advice on what to say. The gate idea is good, I could put up a gate in the hall so she’s “out” but not out. But what about the cats? Kids can be hard on cats and I don’t want my cats getting “attacked” by rough love. They didn’t seem to care two bits about the cats but now I’m worried about the next potential family being cat lovers and wanting to see/meet my cats.
jenboo 10:07 AM 09-12-2019
If the kids have access to the pets, I think the parents have a right to meet them.

If kids do not have access to the pets (like in my case), I don't think the parents need to meet them. My dogs age hyper crazy jumpers. I don't want them jumping all over a daycare family.
littlefriends 10:11 AM 09-12-2019
Originally Posted by jenboo:
If the kids have access to the pets, I think the parents have a right to meet them.

If kids do not have access to the pets (like in my case), I don't think the parents need to meet them. My dogs age hyper crazy jumpers. I don't want them jumping all over a daycare family.
What do you say to potential families if they ask? Just say something about them not being allowed around the daycare kiddos?
Ariana 11:36 AM 09-12-2019
I clear it right from the get go that I have a 7lb dog and a 12lb cat. So far no one has had an issue. They are free to roam in my house with the daycare kids and I have had no issues. They meet them right away at the interview and I let them know they have “safe places” to go if kids are bothering them. My dog has a crate and my cat has a 8ft cat tree in our play space. I also can remove the animals and close the door and have done so on occasion.

I feel that it is super important to let families know upfront if you have animals for allergy reasons. Even if the animal is not out when daycare is on their dander is everywhere.
knoxmomof2 12:42 PM 09-12-2019
My dogs (3 lb chihuahua, 90 lb American Bulldog) are put away in my teenage daughter's room with her during interviews. If they were out at their arrival, they would bark and that's not the welcome I want potential clients to have. I talk about them during the interview, how they're only allowed around the DCKs in limited amounts and with direct supervision, but it honestly depends on my group. Right now, the group is young and I have no interest in bothering with it. They do come out into the yard with us, but my 2 teens are basically on charge of looking after thm while I watch the kids, unless I need an extra hand.

If I feel like the interview is going well, I'll have my daughter let them out and they'll come to the gate to say hi at the end, but by then they've had time to calm down and get used to the idea of visitors being present so I don't have the barking I would at the beginning of the interview. If I don't like the interviewees and don't think it's going to be a good fit, I don't bother. If the ones who aren't a good fit asked to see the dogs, I would make an excuse and not worry about how they felt because I don't want to work with them anyway.

If someone asked early on in the interview to see them, I would let them know they're put away for now so that they don't bark, but I'll get them out at the end once they've had time to calm down. Never had that happen.

If a family is at all uncomfortable with the fact that I own dogs, we're just not a good fit. I generally have 1 ad or profile picture with our big girl and I together, so that sorts out a lot of the issues ahead of time 😊
Tags:pets in daycare
Reply Up