Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Never Happen Before
Cozy_Kids_Childcare 05:52 AM 08-03-2012
I had a parent on the way out the door this morning after sitting here for 35 minutes tell me oh yeah... can you wipe her better today yesterday she still had a little trace of poop in one of her creases. I was taken back because I try to make sure that I get them completely clean each and every time. I guess she must have noticed the shock on my face because she followed up with this is the first time it has ever happen (baby has been here since April) so I'm sure you do normally try to do a good job. I just told her yesterday at pickup that the baby had it from front-to-back yesterday and it took me at least 10 wipes to get it cleaned up. I was so upset that I didn't notice that I didn't get it all... UH... She is my most critical new parent too.
momma2girls 06:47 AM 08-03-2012
Originally Posted by Cozy_Kids_Childcare:
I had a parent on the way out the door this morning after sitting here for 35 minutes tell me oh yeah... can you wipe her better today yesterday she still had a little trace of poop in one of her creases. I was taken back because I try to make sure that I get them completely clean each and every time. I guess she must have noticed the shock on my face because she followed up with this is the first time it has ever happen (baby has been here since April) so I'm sure you do normally try to do a good job. I just told her yesterday at pickup that the baby had it from front-to-back yesterday and it took me at least 10 wipes to get it cleaned up. I was so upset that I didn't notice that I didn't get it all... UH... She is my most critical new parent too.
UGHH!!! You definately meet all kinds in this business. I once had a child who ws 1 1/2 yrs. old. I did her as a fill in one day. Her Mom told me there were some instructions in her diaper bg for me. There was 4 pages there!!! OMG!!! The requests and the routine was unbelievable!!! I just remember a couple of things- please make sure at every diaper change to put on desitin, and bicycle her legs for 10 min.!!! Then don't forget to wipe those pesty cracks!!!! OMG!! I about died, when I read it!! I would like to find out what other things she is having the other provider do!!! I thought everyone needed a good chuckle today!!
EchoMom 06:56 AM 08-03-2012
LOL Bicycle her legs for 10 min?! LOL
Crazy8 06:57 AM 08-03-2012
oh, if I could just take a photo of all the wipes I've done AFTER the parent has cleaned them up from their morning poop at home!!!! They'd never believe they didn't clean them so perfectly!!
momma2girls 07:00 AM 08-03-2012
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
oh, if I could just take a photo of all the wipes I've done AFTER the parent has cleaned them up from their morning poop at home!!!! They'd never believe they didn't clean them so perfectly!!
I hear ya!! I have changed the first diaper herre and found poop as well.
Cozy_Kids_Childcare 07:15 AM 08-03-2012
UH.. This mom is a little on the crazy side anyway, but it made me feel horrible. I wonder if i should say something about her leaving milk in the crease of her neck... Nah that would be me being petty and I'm above that "most days" but sometime she just rubs me the wrong way.
Cozy_Kids_Childcare 07:17 AM 08-03-2012
Originally Posted by momma2girls:
UGHH!!! You definately meet all kinds in this business. I once had a child who ws 1 1/2 yrs. old. I did her as a fill in one day. Her Mom told me there were some instructions in her diaper bg for me. There was 4 pages there!!! OMG!!! The requests and the routine was unbelievable!!! I just remember a couple of things- please make sure at every diaper change to put on desitin, and bicycle her legs for 10 min.!!! Then don't forget to wipe those pesty cracks!!!! OMG!! I about died, when I read it!! I would like to find out what other things she is having the other provider do!!! I thought everyone needed a good chuckle today!!
Your right... I just busted out laughing... Some people just kill me. I wonder how many times she bicycled her legs for 10 min... Some parents are just over the top crazy.
Truly Scrumptious 07:19 AM 08-03-2012
I had a mom a few years ago make the same kind of comment. I told her.."I tell you what...if she poops today, I'll just call you at work and let you come and change her since I'm so neglectful". Well, that led to an immediate apology and a meeting at pick up to remind her that I'm only human and that I would never purposely half way clean a child's bottom. I reminded her also about how we discussed (during the first interview) the proper way to address an issue...and tossing a comment at me as she walked out the door was not the way. Never had a problem with her again.
cheerfuldom 10:30 AM 08-03-2012
Originally Posted by Truly Scrumptious:
I had a mom a few years ago make the same kind of comment. I told her.."I tell you what...if she poops today, I'll just call you at work and let you come and change her since I'm so neglectful". Well, that led to an immediate apology and a meeting at pick up to remind her that I'm only human and that I would never purposely half way clean a child's bottom. I reminded her also about how we discussed (during the first interview) the proper way to address an issue...and tossing a comment at me as she walked out the door was not the way. Never had a problem with her again.
go you! I have had a mom complain about a diaper change my assistant did. AND this was when we sent home the child for vomiting and diarrhea so you know there was all kinds of everything everywhere.

I dont let it bother me and just go along my way. But I do like how you handled things by letting them know a passive aggressive comment as they head out the door is not the professional way to handle any concerns.
Breezy 10:34 AM 08-03-2012
I changed a diaper this morning with bits of poop in it. Mom was the last one to change him. Parents aren't perfect either.
My3cents 11:39 AM 08-03-2012
don't take it too personally. It's her control over what she doesn't have the same control over anymore. Let it go- unless it becomes an everyday thing or more issues.

Respond with no problem, I must have missed a crevice while baby was squirming.

I would rather have a parent mention something like this to me then hold it in and resent me.

I have it the other way around. Have told the mom repeated that she needs to clean the area better and it still comes in covered up with cream. I beat this one like a dead horse to the point of having to let it go and I just clean it myself right. Child doesn't like to be wiped, so Mom doesn't fight with child about it and doesn't do it right. Sad- She denies it, and blames it on gas. It could be so but I don't believe Gas comes with cream on top of it.....ugh! Great parent other then this.

best-
Kaddidle Care 06:32 PM 08-03-2012
Sometimes they pass a "mark" when they pass gass. It happens.
e.j. 07:09 PM 08-03-2012
Originally Posted by My3cents:
don't take it too personally. It's her control over what she doesn't have the same control over anymore. Let it go- unless it becomes an everyday thing or more issues.

Respond with no problem, I must have missed a crevice while baby was squirming.

I would rather have a parent mention something like this to me then hold it in and resent me.
I feel the same way. I'd much rather a parent speak up rather than hold it in but I also know it's hard to hear it, especially when you know how careful you are and the parent tends to be critical to begin with.

Before I started my own day care, I had my son in full-time day care with someone else. There were a few times I noticed he hadn't been cleaned well. I agonized over whether to say something to his provider or not. I finally said something and to her credit, she was wonderful about it. She apologized and said she'd try to be more careful.

Not long after I spoke with her, I noticed that the problem was happening even on weekends when I was the one who was cleaning him and I knew I was doing a thorough job of cleaning him. Didn't take me long to realize little boys sometimes make "skid marks" in between changes. I felt terrible for thinking my day care provider wasn't wiping carefully.
brookeroo 08:07 PM 08-03-2012
Originally Posted by momma2girls:
You know... it annoys the crap out of me when parents go to that extreme. I can understand wanting to communicate what they do but to expect a provider to stick to their same plan with multiple kids drives me batty.

I just want to tell them... "If you want so much control over your child's full day then quit your job and stay home with them! They are in MY home... Thank you for the advice but MY rules apply here!"
My3cents 12:04 PM 08-06-2012
Originally Posted by brookeroo:
You know... it annoys the crap out of me when parents go to that extreme. I can understand wanting to communicate what they do but to expect a provider to stick to their same plan with multiple kids drives me batty.

I just want to tell them... "If you want so much control over your child's full day then quit your job and stay home with them! They are in MY home... Thank you for the advice but MY rules apply here!"
I try to stick to their plan as much as possible but I am caring for a group of kids so I tell the parents that sometimes it is not possible. I wean them into my plan. I just try to validate feelings. Parents like this have a very hard time to leave the child with anyone.
cheerfuldom 01:55 PM 08-06-2012
Originally Posted by My3cents:
I try to stick to their plan as much as possible but I am caring for a group of kids so I tell the parents that sometimes it is not possible. I wean them into my plan. I just try to validate feelings. Parents like this have a very hard time to leave the child with anyone.
I agree. Try to balance their concerns with reasonable expectations. It is frustrating though when some parents act like no one else on the planet has ever had a baby before and they feel they have to document EVERY single thing...dont forget to wipe his mouth if he drools, dont forget to check if he is wet or dirty, and on and on and on.
Reply Up