Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCM Not Bringing Enough Milk, What To Do????
Dsquared 04:42 AM 02-07-2011
Hi again,

I'm looking for some more advice please My wife has a DCM who's a teacher. She drops off her 5 month old at 7 and picks him up at 4:30. She's a vegan and only wants her kid to have breast milk (that's fine). She shows up fairly frequently with not enough breast milk for her kid. My wife has told her that she is not bringing enough milk and her respoonse is "yeah, I don't seem to be able to pump enough now that I'm working." She refuses to use formula but doesn't seem to care that ker kid will be hungry and screaming for a long time without anything to eat (not to mention it's annoying for my wife to have a screaming, hungry 5 month old that she can't do anything to help so he just continues to scream).

What should she do? Suggestions welcomed! Thanks.

JD
Danielle 04:49 AM 02-07-2011
First, are you sure she's not bringing enough? I ask b/c as a LLL leader, I hear moms say their daycare provider says they don't bring enough when they really do. Generally, an ounce an hour is plenty and doesn't increase with age. The baby may just need a pacifier or something else. You also say she's 5 months. She's about old enough for solids (generally I say wait till 6 months). Maybe if the mom truly isn't bringing enough, ask about starting solids. If she's having problems pumping enough. Suggest she contact her local LLL. They will be able to help and LLL is always free.
juliebug 04:49 AM 02-07-2011
turn the kid away at the door if there is not enought milk/formula. if it is breast milk only and she is not giving you back up formula, ask for formula. if she has back of formula and come with some breast milk but the baby just won't take the formula there isn't much she can do. if she isn't making enought it may take a few days for her to get a supply.

ask her if she can try to pump more during the day or pump on weekends too, that way she can try to incress her supply but i sure if she was pumping enough she would be giving it to you.
SilverSabre25 04:50 AM 02-07-2011
Your wife needs to tell the DCM that if she isn't able to pump enough milk, she needs to find a way to bump up her supply (long evening nursing sessions, pumping after nursing in the evening/morning/weekends, taking supplements like fenugreek, eating oatmeal, etc--things called "galactalogues") so she can pump enough milk.

If she can't pump enough milk, she's going to HAVE to find a formula she's comfortable feeding him. There ought to be a vegan-friendly formula out there somewhere, but she might have to go with one of the very expensive elemental formulas to get it.

Your wife needs to give the DCM a specific amount (four 6 oz bottles or whatever is reasonable--make sure there's extra if he's extra hungry) of milk that needs brought, and a time frame to achieve this (it's not going to happen overnight--two weeks might be reasonable). If she can't do it, your wife might need to threaten termination due to not being able to properly care for the child while he's in her care.
Pammie 04:51 AM 02-07-2011
Call mom at work to have the baby picked up immediately. If mom refuses to come for the baby - start calling dad, emergency contacts, etc.

There's no excuse for a baby screaming from hunger and a provider not having anything to feed him/her. That's abuse in my opinion - both to the baby, and the provider
Little People 04:54 AM 02-07-2011
I know some other people will jump in on this with some great advice. But I would call the dcm and tell her she will have to come pick up baby when your wife has used up all the BM and baby is hungry and screaming!

I took a 6 week old baby a few weeks ago and this was a nightmare for me. DCM was BF and had 3 weeks to get baby on a bottle & formula (this is what mom wanted). Well first day baby came she would NOT take a bottle and screamed all day, she could not suck on a bottle. Dad came at 4:30 and he told me they were still BF. I was worn out from walking, rocking and listing to a precious baby scream all day.

Second day, baby came and DCM said baby was BF at 5:30am, and by 12:00 I had had enough of this poor baby screaming and not being able to take a bottle. I called dcm and told her I wanted her to come NOW and feed this baby a bottle. It took her till 1:30 to get here and she only worked 20 minutes away When she came in I had a bottle ready for her and handed her the baby and said i want you to feed her a bottle. You can sit on my couch and I need to go give some attention to my other 3 dck's. I came back in 15 minutes and guess what she was doing??? Breast Feeding. I was so upset that i knew better to say anything. I told her she needed to take her home and she did. I waited 2 hours and called her and term her.
Danielle 04:55 AM 02-07-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Your wife needs to tell the DCM that if she isn't able to pump enough milk, she needs to find a way to bump up her supply (long evening nursing sessions, pumping after nursing in the evening/morning/weekends, taking supplements like fenugreek, eating oatmeal, etc--things called "galactalogues") so she can pump enough milk.

If she can't pump enough milk, she's going to HAVE to find a formula she's comfortable feeding him. There ought to be a vegan-friendly formula out there somewhere, but she might have to go with one of the very expensive elemental formulas to get it.

Your wife needs to give the DCM a specific amount (four 6 oz bottles or whatever is reasonable--make sure there's extra if he's extra hungry) of milk that needs brought, and a time frame to achieve this (it's not going to happen overnight--two weeks might be reasonable). If she can't do it, your wife might need to threaten termination due to not being able to properly care for the child while he's in her care.
Four 6 oz bottles is way too much...baby is there 9 1/2 hours, 10 oz is enough.

You can also suggest to your wife to try feeding the baby only two at a time and every 2 hours. The baby may be over eating when fed a big bottle at once. Breastfed babies eat differently than formula fed babies.
Danielle 04:57 AM 02-07-2011
Originally Posted by Little People:
I know some other people will jump in on this with some great advice. But I would call the dcm and tell her she will have to come pick up baby when your wife has used up all the BM and baby is hungry and screaming!

I took a 6 week old baby a few weeks ago and this was a nightmare for me. DCM was BF and had 3 weeks to get baby on a bottle & formula (this is what mom wanted). Well first day baby came she would NOT take a bottle and screamed all day, she could not suck on a bottle. Dad came at 4:30 and he told me they were still BF. I was worn out from walking, rocking and listing to a precious baby scream all day.

Second day, baby came and DCM said baby was BF at 5:30am, and by 12:00 I had had enough of this poor baby screaming and not being able to take a bottle. I called dcm and told her I wanted her to come NOW and feed this baby a bottle. It took her till 1:30 to get here and she only worked 20 minutes away When she came in I had a bottle ready for her and handed her the baby and said i want you to feed her a bottle. You can sit on my couch and I need to go give some attention to my other 3 dck's. I came back in 15 minutes and guess what she was doing??? Breast Feeding. I was so upset that i knew better to say anything. I told her she needed to take her home and she did. I waited 2 hours and called her and term her.
It's extremely hard for a breastfeeding mother to bottle feed her baby. Baby knows mom has milk and will refuse the bottle. Many moms have to even leave the room for baby to take a bottle from anyone.
Mrs.Ky 04:59 AM 02-07-2011
I had a problem like this also, the DCB I still have now came to me at 3 months and he was a BF baby and my first in daycare he would eat 3 ounces every 2 hours and then cry for more Mom said it was enough for him even thou he was crying she put him on rice cereal at 4 months and he stopped crying after that. Ask Mom to put her on some cereal it will help and maybe even start some stage 1 baby food. I can understand Mom not wantig to do formula and dont push that on her I saw how upset my DCM would get when she thought her baby wasnt getting enough he is now a 25 pound 1 year old healthy and happy.
Little People 05:02 AM 02-07-2011
Originally Posted by Danielle:
It's extremely hard for a breastfeeding mother to bottle feed her baby. Baby knows mom has milk and will refuse the bottle. Many moms have to even leave the room for baby to take a bottle from anyone.
They never even started training her to take a bottle. They just brought her to me to train her to a bottle. This mother knew she was returing to work when baby was 6 weeks old. She enrolled with me when baby was 3 weeks old. Her plan was to STOP bf and go to bottles. But it never happened. I was so upset that a mom would bring her precious baby without EVER giving her a bottle. And dads will tell more than moms. Dad said they had tried a few times but with no luck, baby would gag and cry.
Dsquared 05:03 AM 02-07-2011
Wow, thanks for all the replies ladies! I'll try to find out more specifics about the amount of BM she's bringng with her. As far as the formula, the DCM refuses to give her child formula. That's the problem IMO, there has to be some sort of back up if she's not bringing enough BM or the child is extra hungry ect.
SilverSabre25 05:09 AM 02-07-2011
Originally Posted by Danielle:
Four 6 oz bottles is way too much...baby is there 9 1/2 hours, 10 oz is enough.

You can also suggest to your wife to try feeding the baby only two at a time and every 2 hours. The baby may be over eating when fed a big bottle at once. Breastfed babies eat differently than formula fed babies.
I knew I was probably wrong. I never gave my DD a bottle; she was (and is still at age 3 ) breastfed.. I pumped for her to have milk while I was at class (attending university full-time) but never needed to be gone for a whole day. I never pay attention to how much milk is in the bottles my dcfamilies sent either 'cause it was always enough.
countrymom 05:31 AM 02-07-2011
I nursed my dd till she was 3.5 yrs old (I know she was old) nursing babies need to be fed almost every 2 hours. BM doesn't hold them like formula. It may not be alot but they get hungry faster.
give mom some options:
1. bring more milk
2. have formula as back up
3. you have the right to call her when her baby is screaming
nannyde 05:36 AM 02-07-2011
There's always going to be someone telling you that what they bring you is plenty and enough. I don't discuss breast milk amounts because the amount the parent brings is often not what the baby presents as needing.

The thing to do is to use up what she brings as the baby needs it and then right when you are done feeding the child the last amount call to have her picked up immediately. You should never have a child in your care who doesn't have any milk available. Not only should you have todays but you need a big reserve in your freezer for back up.

The Mom can either get you stocked up or she can come care for the child when you don't have milk available. Just don't wait until the baby needs it to call her. Call when you are OUT.

I don't do spoon feeding until they hit eight months. I would not offer baby food as an option to a five month old.

Don't let ANYONE fool you into thinking that if they say the WORDS it's enough then it's enough and leave you with a baby that has ALL the signs of a hungry infant. You don't have to have much experience at all to tell hunger in an infant. Just a few months of caring for babies and you will know exactly what it looks like. Don't be told what you are seeing is anything else but what you know.
Mrs.Ky 05:54 AM 02-07-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
There's always going to be someone telling you that what they bring you is plenty and enough. I don't discuss breast milk amounts because the amount the parent brings is often not what the baby presents as needing.

The thing to do is to use up what she brings as the baby needs it and then right when you are done feeding the child the last amount call to have her picked up immediately. You should never have a child in your care who doesn't have any milk available. Not only should you have todays but you need a big reserve in your freezer for back up.

The Mom can either get you stocked up or she can come care for the child when you don't have milk available. Just don't wait until the baby needs it to call her. Call when you are OUT.

I don't do spoon feeding until they hit eight months. I would not offer baby food as an option to a five month old.

Don't let ANYONE fool you into thinking that if they say the WORDS it's enough then it's enough and leave you with a baby that has ALL the signs of a hungry infant. You don't have to have much experience at all to tell hunger in an infant. Just a few months of caring for babies and you will know exactly what it looks like. Don't be told what you are seeing is anything else but what you know.
Wow Nan you dont fed babies baby food til 8 months? That's way to long to make a baby wait doctors recommend 4 to 6 months you start feeding a baby baby food. 2 out of 3 of my own kids where eating table food at 8 months old. I cant image a baby not having jar food at 6 months they would be starving by just eating formula til 8 months old.
Lilbutterflie 05:56 AM 02-07-2011
I personally would sit down with dcm and discuss the situation. You CANNOT have a hungry baby in your care without a way to feed him/her when your supply is gone! I would say what the previous poster said. She either needs to...

1. Bring more milk (IMO, at least 12 ounces of breastmilk for a 9.5 hr day. This will give you 3 four ounce bottles which would feed every 3 hrs. Some babies I've taken care of at this age would even take up to 15 ounces of breastmilk during a 9 hour period b/c they were eating 5 ounces at a time every 3 hours.)

2. Find a formula that fits in their vegan lifestyle & leave it at daycare for backup

3. Send them away AT THE DOOR if they have not complied with #1 or #2.

I would also warn that if you have to send them away for not providing enough bottles more than once going forward, they will immediately be terminated.
SilverSabre25 05:58 AM 02-07-2011
Originally Posted by Mrs.Ky:
Wow Nan you dont fed babies baby food til 8 months? That's way to long to make a baby wait doctors recommend 4 to 6 months you start feeding a baby baby food. 2 out of 3 of my own kids where eating table food at 8 months old. I cant image a baby not having jar food at 6 months they would be starving by just eating formula til 8 months old.
Nope not true. The AAP actually recommends not starting until at least 6 months, and many babies aren't really ready until much older. 8 months is not bad at all; they don't starve...they just drink more milk.
Blackcat31 06:02 AM 02-07-2011
The USDA food program I am on says that fruits and vegetables are not required until 8 months. Up until then it is formula and/or breast milk only until cereal is introduced at 4-7 months and even then the meal pattern sheet from the USDA says cereal is optional.
nannyde 06:04 AM 02-07-2011

No it's not.

Eight months is a perfect time to start solids at day care. Been doing it for 17 years and haven't had a problem yet. The parents start solids whenever they want but I don't start them here until the day of the eigth month.

I have year after year of fabulous eating kids so I must be doing something right. I also don't spoon train kids. The parents do it at home. By the time I start feeding them here they are well versed on the spoon.

I don't have time to research it but the American Academy of Pediatrics very recent reccomendation for starting some solids is NOT BEFORE the sixth month.

Soon enough it will move even further out. The connection of obesity to infant feeding is going to start surfacing within the next few years. We are giving way too much way too early. Formula and breastmilk are quite enough for a baby until the first day of the eigth month.
GG~DAYCARE 06:15 AM 02-07-2011
I always keep an extra days worth of BM in the freezer. I have been known
to spill a whole bottle of precious milk while transfering them from the storage bag to a bottle! I will be starting a BF infant in a few weeks and have told the mom to have dad or grandma/grandpa give the baby at least one bottle a day to get her used to the nipple.
All my 5 kids were breastfed and I know how hard it is to get BF baby to take a bottle if not started early.
I don't think there are any set guidelines for what a BF infant will drink from a bottle...that will be up to you and Mom to decide but you MUST have extra milk in reserve. GOOD LUCK!!!
laundrymom 06:23 AM 02-07-2011
I just went through this. I finally told mom that either she bring more milk, bring formula, or pick her up because ignoring her cries for food was neglect and not something I would do.
Dsquared 06:43 AM 02-07-2011
My wife said she brings 10-11 ounces but the child is large for his age and he always wants more than that on a daily basis. She doesn't like hearing him cry a lot because he's hungry (I don't blame her). She would know, she BF our two kids for their first 12 months. Also, the DCM confirmed it wasn't enough milk when she said "Yeah, I know..."

Thanks for all the feeback so far
laundrymom 06:49 AM 02-07-2011
Also,... Unless someone knows how to measure the amount of milk a bf baby is nursing,...they have no idea exactly how much they get. No two breasts preform the same. No two babies are the same. If a baby is hungry providers should be able to feed them. ON DEMAND.

It amazes me how babies and providers are punished in the child care setting so babies will stay "on schedule" and how parents listen to statistics and guidelines more than someone who KNOWS their child. It's not like we are asking for the milk to serve with cookies at snack.

Their baby is crying from hunger. The milk will solve the problem. Just because the guidelines say something different is no reason to keep a baby hungry. They are guidelines. Not laws. And I am finished trying to care for every baby identically. That is robot care and if that's what they want I'm not the person for their family.
AfterSchoolMom 06:50 AM 02-07-2011
I have a 3 mo (nearly 4 mos) who drinks 4 ounces every 2.5-3 hours. She's here 9 hours today, and Mom brought me 19 oz., AND I have 2 5 ounce bags in the freezer for backup.

I'd definitely push them to bring more, and if they won't...term them.
Danielle 07:05 AM 02-07-2011
Give this to the mom
http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVDecJan06p123.html
nannyde 07:15 AM 02-07-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Also,... Unless someone knows how to measure the amount of milk a bf baby is nursing,...they have no idea exactly how much they get. No two breasts preform the same. No two babies are the same. If a baby is hungry providers should be able to feed them. ON DEMAND.

It amazes me how babies and providers are punished in the child care setting so babies will stay "on schedule" and how parents listen to statistics and guidelines more than someone who KNOWS their child. It's not like we are asking for the milk to serve with cookies at snack.

Their baby is crying from hunger. The milk will solve the problem. Just because the guidelines say something different is no reason to keep a baby hungry. They are guidelines. Not laws. And I am finished trying to care for every baby identically. That is robot care and if that's what they want I'm not the person for their family.
Good post

What we need is an understanding that the bf baby may actually need a lot more milk in a child care setting. We need to recognize that the baby may be at a higher peek of stress just eating from a nipple and being in the care of someone other than the mother while being surrounded by other kids.

I know I do a TON more belly time here than is done at home. I've had kids come to me at eight months who have never even HAD belly time. Because we are caring for multi level aged group kids we may not be carrying or holding the baby as much as at home and the time the baby needs to wait for things is always higher in a setting where there isn't one to one care. All of these things end up with a higher need for food. Simple as that.

Once you care for the baby and you hear their cry for food before you feed them what you HAVE then you know that's the same cry that you hear when you don't HAVE anything to feed them. The baby sounds the same because it doesn't know whether you have milk in the house or not. Don't let anyone tell you that a hungry cry isn't a hungry cry. It only takes a short time of caring for a baby to know that sound. Trust your instincts and require that you have what is needed and a good back up in case something goes wrong in the prep process or feeding process.
Mrs.Ky 07:16 AM 02-07-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Nope not true. The AAP actually recommends not starting until at least 6 months, and many babies aren't really ready until much older. 8 months is not bad at all; they don't starve...they just drink more milk.
I SAID what the DOCTORS say meaning my childrens doctor not the AAP. I have 3 children and from my OWN personally exprence they WOULD have been so hungry just drinking formula and not having anything else. I CHOOSE to start all 3 of my kids at 4 months and the doctor gave the ok actually my 2nd child was up to 8oz bottles at 4 months he was a big boy and the doctor had me start him on cereal ALL babies are different some demand more some less. All my children in daycare whom I have raised as babies started on cereal and jar food anywhere between 4 to 6 months never have I had a DCP say wait til 8 months old.
Mrs.Ky 07:23 AM 02-07-2011
No it's not.

Eight months is a perfect time to start solids at day care. Been doing it for 17 years and haven't had a problem yet. The parents start solids whenever they want but I don't start them here until the day of the eigth month.

I have year after year of fabulous eating kids so I must be doing something right. I also don't spoon train kids. The parents do it at home. By the time I start feeding them here they are well versed on the spoon.

I don't have time to research it but the American Academy of Pediatrics very recent reccomendation for starting some solids is NOT BEFORE the sixth month.

Soon enough it will move even further out. The connection of obesity to infant feeding is going to start surfacing within the next few years. We are giving way too much way too early. Formula and breastmilk are quite enough for a baby until the first day of the eigth month.
Children are obese NOT because of how they ate as infants because parents today choose to feed their child mcdonalds every night for dinner or give them JUNK for snack. My Son was a huge baby 30 pounds at 12 months now he is a 60 pound soon to be 8 year old he is a skinny mini because I do not let them eat junk and go to mcdonalds.
nannyde 07:27 AM 02-07-2011
I SAID what the DOCTORS say meaning my childrens doctor not the AAP. I have 3 children and from my OWN personally exprence they WOULD have been so hungry just drinking formula and not having anything else. I CHOOSE to start all 3 of my kids at 4 months and the doctor gave the ok actually my 2nd child was up to 8oz bottles at 4 months he was a big boy and the doctor had me start him on cereal ALL babies are different some demand more some less. All my children in daycare whom I have raised as babies started on cereal and jar food anywhere between 4 to 6 months never have I had a DCP say wait til 8 months old.
The American Academy of Pediatrics ARE doctors. You said Wow Nan you dont fed babies baby food til 8 months? That's way to long to make a baby wait doctors recommend 4 to 6 months you start feeding a baby baby food.

I'm saying it's not too long much less way too long to make a baby "wait" until feeding baby food.

It's okay to wait until the begining of the eigth month to feed solids to babies. Your experience is different and your Docs reccommendations were most likely before the AAP most recent reccomendation.

My experience is wait until they are eight months. Yours isn't. I'm not telling you to not feed them till the eigth month... I'm telling you that it's not WAY TOO LONG to "make them wait".
SilverSabre25 07:40 AM 02-07-2011
The American Academy of Pediatrics ARE doctors. You said Wow Nan you dont fed babies baby food til 8 months? That's way to long to make a baby wait doctors recommend 4 to 6 months you start feeding a baby baby food.

I'm saying it's not too long much less way too long to make a baby "wait" until feeding baby food.

It's okay to wait until the begining of the eigth month to feed solids to babies. Your experience is different and your Docs reccommendations were most likely before the AAP most recent reccomendation.

My experience is wait until they are eight months. Yours isn't. I'm not telling you to not feed them till the eigth month... I'm telling you that it's not WAY TOO LONG to "make them wait".
What Nanny said, since I had said a lot of the same things.
Live and Learn 07:44 AM 02-07-2011
At five months of age an infant should be fed on demand. If baby is demanding milk that the mother isn't providing then she either needs to be pumping much more or supplying formula.

Before flaming me for suggesting formula you should know that I have a house full of my own children. None has ever had formula. I even nursed my twins for two and a half years......but I made the choice to stay home with my kids. It is so very, very hard to nurse and work. There are always trade offs.

In my opinion when she made the choice to not stay home with her kid she needed to give the "substitute" (read dc provider) all of the tools to do the job. This includes breast milk or formula. If for some reason her fantasy of supplying enough breast milk through pumping does not match the reality of the child's appetite then the mom can do one of three things:

1) learn how to produce more milk.

2) supply formula.

3) stay home and nurse.

I require my breast feeding moms to have three days of milk in my freezer.
Every breastfeeding mom that I have ever provided care for has found the working/breastfeeding combo to be very stressful for them....constantly worrying about providing enough milk.

I would call mom at work as soon as last of the milk is consumed....not fair to let baby go hungry...poor thing.

Good luck
lvt77 08:03 AM 02-07-2011
Originally Posted by Pammie:
Call mom at work to have the baby picked up immediately. If mom refuses to come for the baby - start calling dad, emergency contacts, etc.

There's no excuse for a baby screaming from hunger and a provider not having anything to feed him/her. That's abuse in my opinion - both to the baby, and the provider
ditto I agree with pammie on this 100% that is neglect.. and so not fair poor baby.
nannyde 08:08 AM 02-07-2011
Children are obese NOT because of how they ate as infants because parents today choose to feed their child mcdonalds every night for dinner or give them JUNK for snack. My Son was a huge baby 30 pounds at 12 months now he is a 60 pound soon to be 8 year old he is a skinny mini because I do not let them eat junk and go to mcdonalds.
Our country is facing an obesity epidemic in our children that is so profound that it will change our longevity and our destiny as a human race if we do not get a handle on it and begin to deal with it from prenatal to adulthood.

Junk food is ONE of the contributors to our current crisis. Inactivity, low physical activity, severe lack of sleep, corn based foods, calcium deprivation, sugar drinks, fingertip playing toys/electronics, etc... are some of the perfect storm we are facing now with this health crisis.

If you are interested just google "obesity in infants" to see the current research. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0406093632.htm

By analyzing the electronic medical records of babies seen for routine "well-child" visits to the UTMB pediatric clinic, the investigators found that about 16 percent of 6-month-olds fit the study's criterion for obesity -- a weight-for-length ratio that put them in the top 5 percent of all babies in their age group. (Weight for length was used instead of the conventional body mass index because BMI is based on weight and height as measured while standing, which neither 6-month-olds nor 24-month-olds can do well enough to measure.) Further analysis of the records indicated that obese 2-year-olds were much more likely to have been obese at 6 months than 2-year-olds who were not obese.
Dsquared 09:07 AM 02-07-2011
Our country is facing an obesity epidemic in our children that is so profound that it will change our longevity and our destiny as a human race if we do not get a handle on it and begin to deal with it from prenatal to adulthood.

Junk food is ONE of the contributors to our current crisis. Inactivity, low physical activity, severe lack of sleep, corn based foods, calcium deprivation, sugar drinks, fingertip playing toys/electronics, etc... are some of the perfect storm we are facing now with this health crisis.

If you are interested just google "obesity in infants" to see the current research. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0406093632.htm

By analyzing the electronic medical records of babies seen for routine "well-child" visits to the UTMB pediatric clinic, the investigators found that about 16 percent of 6-month-olds fit the study's criterion for obesity -- a weight-for-length ratio that put them in the top 5 percent of all babies in their age group. (Weight for length was used instead of the conventional body mass index because BMI is based on weight and height as measured while standing, which neither 6-month-olds nor 24-month-olds can do well enough to measure.) Further analysis of the records indicated that obese 2-year-olds were much more likely to have been obese at 6 months than 2-year-olds who were not obese.
It is very scary indeed. I'm pretty healthy, work out a lot and have tried to eat healthy. But the CR#P that's in the food/milk these days (even the healthy food) it's scary! Buying organic to feed a family is a very expensive alternative. It just plain sucks!
jojosmommy 10:31 AM 02-07-2011
I just want to mention that kids need to start getting baby food and table food becuase it helps their oral development which later affects speech development. It isnt always better to wait which seems to be very popular right now. When baby is ready physically, and hungry enough to benefit from it you should start giving it.

I also want to mention that just becuase a child is in the top 5% for his age/height doesn't mean he is headed towards obesity. Myself and my two siblings were all big babies until about 2 and now all three of us are underweight or right at recommended weight. My son has been in the top 1% of weight and height since birth (at 3 weeks early mind you) and no we don't give him any sweets (not even for Halloween) or drive through meals. My Dr is not at all concerned because we are an active family. Families need to spend more active time together and the obesity problem will decrease.
PeanutsGalore 01:32 PM 02-07-2011

It's disturbing that ANY study would define a child under 2 or 3 years of age as obese based solely on BMI. That's not helpful, it doesn't take into account family habits and the specific habits being developed by that child, and thus can't be an accurate indication of what a child will look like when they're adults, or even a few years older.

Infants need to BF on demand, and there's no way to know how much any individual baby is taking in unless you develop x-ray vision and an accurate way to measure the milk flow from breast to mouth. Ask the mom for more food...or have her come pick him up when the food is gone. She must be feeling bad for not being able to provide more milk, but there are lots of ways to increase production. She can pump at night before bed, or get up super early to pump the extra milk, if necessary. Babies should never go hungry, and they certainly know when they want to eat.
ammama 02:37 PM 02-07-2011
I have a problem with the idea of measuring obesity in 6 month olds. My own DD was freaken HUGE at 6 months, and was being breastfed exclusively. No formula or solids, only breastfeeding on demand. Obesity is something that is related to unhealthy eating, bad eating habits etc. How can a 6 month old breastfed baby have bad eating habits? I think that basing obesity in infants solely on weight is a bad idea. If you look at their dietary history, and see that the parents are basically putting a bottle in their mouth everytime they cry, then maybe you could suspect obesity, and follow that child to prevent/follow up. I used to hate it when people would tell me to feed my baby less because she was too fat. She is a perfectly normal sized 2 year old now.

This is off topic though, sorry.
cillybean83 03:06 PM 02-07-2011
if the baby is crying from hunger that is unacceptable. Just because some book says that 1 ounce an hour is enough doesn't make it the Lord's gospel truth...obviously it isn't enough for this one particular child, and this one individual child should not go hungry because of a statistic, if mom doesn't make enough milk, then mom needs to provide formula, there is no reason why that child needs to be hungry.

As far as when to introduce solids, every parent, provider, and doctor is different. My youngest sons doctor said he could have rice cereal at 14 weeks, as long as he could eat it from a spoon, which he could, so he ate it once a day until 16 weeks when he started eating veggies, and at 20 weeks he started eating fruit. That's what MY doctor said was fine, and I was ok with it, my son is in the 90th percentile for height and 20th for weight so he isn't obese, he's a healthy little boy, but with that being said, I stay home with my son so I set the rules. If he were to go to Nan's daycare and she says no food til 8 months them my choices would be:

1. feed him food on my own time if I want him to have it
2. find another provider
3. stay home with my kid

her house, her daycare, her rules, and if you leave your kid with a provider, you have to trust that what they choose to do regarding feedings is what they believe is in the best interest of your child, Im sure that if a 7 month old baby was screaming from hunger, Nan would give him or her a bottle and the kiddo would be fine til pick up, no big deal.
Mrs.Ky 03:24 PM 02-07-2011
Originally Posted by jojosmommy:
I just want to mention that kids need to start getting baby food and table food becuase it helps their oral development which later affects speech development. It isnt always better to wait which seems to be very popular right now. When baby is ready physically, and hungry enough to benefit from it you should start giving it.

I also want to mention that just becuase a child is in the top 5% for his age/height doesn't mean he is headed towards obesity. Myself and my two siblings were all big babies until about 2 and now all three of us are underweight or right at recommended weight. My son has been in the top 1% of weight and height since birth (at 3 weeks early mind you) and no we don't give him any sweets (not even for Halloween) or drive through meals. My Dr is not at all concerned because we are an active family. Families need to spend more active time together and the obesity problem will decrease.
AGREE with this. I guess Im old now since the IN thing right now is to wait till 8 months next thing you know it will be a year I love how the goverment tells us what to do with our own kids.Doc had me putting cereal in my first Sons bottle when he was 2 months old because he had reflux it helped so much but now a days if I tell someone that their mouth will drop like I commited a crime. Mom ALWAYS knows best for her baby not some doctor, nurse, or someone from the AAP. Also all my kids where forwarding facing from10 to 12 months thought I would just add more fuel to the fire
Mrs.Ky 03:28 PM 02-07-2011
Originally Posted by ammama:
I have a problem with the idea of measuring obesity in 6 month olds. My own DD was freaken HUGE at 6 months, and was being breastfed exclusively. No formula or solids, only breastfeeding on demand. Obesity is something that is related to unhealthy eating, bad eating habits etc. How can a 6 month old breastfed baby have bad eating habits? I think that basing obesity in infants solely on weight is a bad idea. If you look at their dietary history, and see that the parents are basically putting a bottle in their mouth everytime they cry, then maybe you could suspect obesity, and follow that child to prevent/follow up. I used to hate it when people would tell me to feed my baby less because she was too fat. She is a perfectly normal sized 2 year old now.

This is off topic though, sorry.
Right, I dont like when they say babies are obese next thing you know the AAP will recommend putting babies on a diet and since the AAP said it it will be gold .
JenNJ 03:41 PM 02-07-2011
AGREE with this. I guess Im old now since the IN thing right now is to wait till 8 months next thing you know it will be a year I love how the goverment tells us what to do with our own kids.Doc had me putting cereal in my first Sons bottle when he was 2 months old because he had reflux it helped so much but now a days if I tell someone that their mouth will drop like I commited a crime. Mom ALWAYS knows best for her baby not some doctor, nurse, or someone from the AAP. Also all my kids where forwarding facing from10 to 12 months thought I would just add more fuel to the fire

Do as you please, but please don't use the "they turned out fine" argument. It is DANGEROUS AND STUPID to put babies who are developmentally immature in forward facing carseats. There is more than enough proof that forward facing too early on can be life altering or fatal. I'm glad you are "LOLing" at gambling with your kids lives in the car. I hope they find it amusing too.
Mrs.Ky 04:09 PM 02-07-2011
Originally Posted by JenNJ:
Do as you please, but please don't use the "they turned out fine" argument. It is DANGEROUS AND STUPID to put babies who are developmentally immature in forward facing carseats. There is more than enough proof that forward facing too early on can be life altering or fatal. I'm glad you are "LOLing" at gambling with your kids lives in the car. I hope they find it amusing too.
I was LOL at adding fuel to the fire I have a VERY blunt staright forward personality some people can take it and some cant. Yup they sure did turn out fine and I didnt put their life in danger. Im pretty sure I didnt sit rear facing till I was one in the 80s Im sure I slept on my tummy, etc. because the goverment wasnt as MUCH in everyones buisness like now a days. Now we have 8 year olds sitting in car seats and 4 year olds running around in diapers because socitey has it in there head that we have to baby our kids forever. My first sat rear facing till age 1 that WAS the IN thing then, my 2nd was 10 months because he was SO big he couldnt fit in infant carseat and new big careseat wouldnt fit rear facing in our car, my little girl sat forwarding facing at 11 months because I decided she was ready and she didnt like rear facing where she couldnt see It was MY choice I was MOM and knew what was best for my children at the time and Im fine with that. My 7 year old doesnt sit in a booster now I think he is old enough to not sit in one the law when my first was born was up to age 6 in a booster seat. My 3 year old sits in a high back booster now even thou the golden AAP says children should be in a harness till age 4 she is prefectly safe and sound in her booster.
nannyde 05:59 AM 02-08-2011
I didn't say it was the IN thing. I said "I" don't offer food to infants until they hit the eigth month mark. I don't get involved in what the parents do at home. I don't even discuss it with them.

Mom ALWAYS knows best for her baby not some doctor, nurse, or someone from the AAP.

I think that's a bunch of bunk. I don't believe in the "I know my baby best and I know what's best for my baby". It's a "feel good" sentiment but there's little truth in it.

We need to STOP telling parents that. We need to make it clear that just because you can have sex, conceive a child, carry a child nine months, and give birth that you don't automatically just KNOW what is best for the baby. There are SOME things built into our nature but there are many things that must be wrought from experience and from dedicated learning.

There's very little training going on in this generation from the generation before. This generation of parents are coming into parenthood with very little life experience doing the HARD work of raising kids right. Many are coming into parenthood without experience of HARD work period.

The OP's parent in this thread is a shining example. She dropped off her kid and said clearly she didn't have enough milk for the baby. Then she left. That Mom doesn't obviously KNOW that you can't leave your baby somewhere without access to an appropriate amount of food. She understands the baby needs more but she doesn't GET that she should make sure he actually HAS it.

Obesity is a huge problem in our country. We need to be willing to look at EVERY age group from birth and evaluate if and how we are contributing to the obesity epidemic by the way we feed babies. We need to really look at all foods that are "quick" and "easy" as they are going to be misused first.

We have to use SOME measures of evaluating whether a child at age X months has a higher liklihood of being overweight at XX months. What we have is height and weight and statistics for males and females to compare that baby to. We need to look back to infancy and see if anything that is being done with the massess is leading the masses to be overweight. That INCLUDES looking at feeding, sleep (very very very mportant), nutrients, exercise, play, etc.
nannyde 06:05 AM 02-08-2011
I have a VERY blunt staright forward personality some people can take it and some cant. Yup they sure did turn out fine and I didnt put their life in danger. Im pretty sure I didnt sit rear facing till I was one in the 80s Im sure I slept on my tummy, etc. because the goverment wasnt as MUCH in everyones buisness like now a days

Oh I can take your blunt and straight forward personality.

Are you suggesting that we shouldn't study things like positioning infants to sleep or positioning infants in car seats and take what we KNOW from millions and millions of kids and not apply it to our laws and govermental reccomendations?

What are we to do with what we KNOW. What are we to do with the statistics we have that clearly show that "back to sleep" increases an infants chance of not succumbing to SIDS? What are we to do with data from car crashes where we KNOW that children who are rear faced have a higher liklihood of survival?

We shouldn't put regulations in place for care givers and for parents because they intrinsically KNOW what's best for their baby?
jen 07:09 AM 02-08-2011
Originally Posted by JenNJ:
THANK YOU for saying that! Seriously...I'm just floored.
Mrs.Ky 07:10 AM 02-08-2011
We have to use SOME measures of evaluating whether a child at age X months has a higher liklihood of being overweight at XX months. What we have is height and weight and statistics for males and females to compare that baby to. We need to look back to infancy and see if anything that is being done with the massess is leading the masses to be overweight. That INCLUDES looking at feeding, sleep (very very very mportant), nutrients, exercise, play, etc.

I'm fat now and GUESS WHAT I wasnt fat as a baby I ate the wrong things and whenever I wanted FINALLY took control of my life 4 months ago and Im already down 60 pounds Im NOT Obese because my Mom feed me to much, started me early on food, etc. Im Obese because I choose to be. I guess the new excuse soon will be Im fat now because I was a fat baby.
jen 07:11 AM 02-08-2011
Mrs. K,

I challenge you to watch this video and tell me again about facing forward.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8gU9...eature=related
Mrs.Ky 07:19 AM 02-08-2011
Mom ALWAYS knows best for her baby not some doctor, nurse, or someone from the AAP.

I think that's a bunch of bunk. I don't believe in the "I know my baby best and I know what's best for my baby". It's a "feel good" sentiment but there's little truth in it.

You would say that you use to be an RN . SOME Moms know best but choose not to do best, some Moms know best and do there best, other moms think they know best and try there best. EVERYONE parents differently there is NO wrong or right way to parent. Some parents spank some dont, some start solids at 4 months some later, some do rear facing till 1 some 2 some almost 1, etc etc etc etc. I KNOW what I do is best for my kids I dont need someoe else saying so like the AAP some people agree and some dont I COULD careless. I also do whats best for my daycare kids and what the parents think is best for there child.

Thats right Im a MOM who:
Sat 2 of my kids forward facing before 1
I put cereal in all my kids bottles
I feed solids at 4 months old
I spank if needed
I medicate my ADHD child

These are things people have problems with but I dont care Im doing whats BEST for MY kids and I love them no matter what. Not all of us agree with what other parents do and thats ok I dont agree with what some of my parents do with there kids but thats ok I dont have too they are NOT mine.
Mrs.Ky 07:26 AM 02-08-2011
Originally Posted by jen:
Mrs. K,

I challenge you to watch this video and tell me again about facing forward.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8gU9...eature=related

Thanks, Anyone can DIE in a car accident weather forward facing or rear facing. Like I said what I DID with my OWN kids is what is BEST for my kids and EVERYONE parents differently there is no wrong or right way. I have a boy rear facing now in daycare who is 14 months old ad he will stay that way til he is 2 because thats what his Mom says is best for HER child and Im ok with it and I will do what she thinks is best for her child.
jen 07:36 AM 02-08-2011
Thanks, Anyone can DIE in a car accident weather forward facing or rear facing. Like I said what I DID with my OWN kids is what is BEST for my kids and EVERYONE parents differently there is no wrong or right way. I have a boy rear facing now in daycare who is 14 months old ad he will stay that way til he is 2 because thats what his Mom says is best for HER child and Im ok with it and I will do what she thinks is best for her child.
You didn't actually watch the video did you?

It is foolish to believe that every Mom knows whats best for her child. When I was a kid a "car seat" was my Mom's arm flung across my chest. That is what she believed was best, because that is all of the information that she had at the time.

EDUCATE yourself and then determine what is best, what is safest.

Your kids are fine because you haven't been in a bad crash...so think for one second...if you get in a crash and your child could have survived but didn't, because you were so arrogant as to believe that you knew better than everyone else as to what constitutes the BEST when it comes to safety...how exactly would you sleep at night.

As for Mom's *always* know best. Each and every day we all see people do ridiculous crap with thier kids. People who don't even use a seat belt much less a car seat, people who think that a sweatshirt is "good enough" when its clearly well below freezing. Seriously. Your comments are just ignorant.
cillybean83 07:39 AM 02-08-2011
i'm not a mod but this is kind of heated...agree to disagree?

The OP just wanted to know about milk...
Mrs.Ky 07:48 AM 02-08-2011
You didn't actually watch the video did you?

It is foolish to believe that every Mom knows whats best for her child. When I was a kid a "car seat" was my Mom's arm flung across my chest. That is what she believed was best, because that is all of the information that she had at the time.

EDUCATE yourself and then determine what is best, what is safest.

Your kids are fine because you haven't been in a bad crash...so think for one second...if you get in a crash and your child could have survived but didn't, because you were so arrogant as to believe that you knew better than everyone else as to what constitutes the BEST when it comes to safety...how exactly would you sleep at night.

As for Mom's *always* know best. Each and every day we all see people do ridiculous crap with thier kids. People who don't even use a seat belt much less a car seat, people who think that a sweatshirt is "good enough" when its clearly well below freezing. Seriously. Your comments are just ignorant.
I guess it makes you feel better to insult somone huh I guess you feel better about yourself now. Never NOT once have I insulted you in anyway nor would I because I dont know you just as you dont know me. Ya you are right we see kids without coats, etc. the parents may think they are doing best for there child who are we to judge them? MOMS always think they know better the someone else, and they are some how superior to other Moms but they arent.
JenNJ 08:01 AM 02-08-2011
I'm out of this one. I refuse to try to get someone to look at science and studies that prove health and saftey issues when they have their uneducated mind made up. I feel for the kids in your care and hope that you at least follow safety guidelines during daycare hours.
nannyde 08:02 AM 02-08-2011
You would say that you use to be an RN .
I AM a RN. Not used to be. I AM.

I've been doing this for a long time and I spend a lot of my time researching. I'm very interested in both nutrition and positional safety. I've done THOUSANDS of hours of research for many many years.

jen 08:08 AM 02-08-2011
I guess it makes you feel better to insult somone huh I guess you feel better about yourself now. Never NOT once have I insulted you in anyway nor would I because I dont know you just as you dont know me. Ya you are right we see kids without coats, etc. the parents may think they are doing best for there child who are we to judge them? MOMS always think they know better the someone else, and they are some how superior to other Moms but they arent.
I really don't feel that I have insulted you. The closest I came to was to say that your comments were ignorant or...

"lacking knowledge: lacking knowledge or education in general or in a specific subject
unaware: unaware of something
resulting from lack of knowledge: caused by a lack of knowledge, understanding, or experience"

I stand by that statement. The evidence that children are safer, all children, including yours are safer, when seated rear facing and in appropriate car seats. You are clearly unaware of that FACT.

You indicated that your three year old sits in a booster seat; it is ILLEGAL to have your child in a booster seat in TN. You are clearly unaware of the LAW.

Children under age 4 must ride in a car seat. Tennessee requires that all car seats be federally approved and used according to manufacturer's instructions.

Children ages 4 through 8 and less than 4'9" in height must use a booster seat. Children through age 12 who are greater than 4'9" are required to use a vehicle seatbelt, and the rear seat is recommended for these children. Tennessee requires that all children under age 16 who are not in a car seat or booster use a vehicle seat belt.

You said you had a blunt personality and that some people just couldn't take it. I wasn't being insulting, I was just being straightforward. I apologize, if I hurt your feelings; it wasn't my intent. However, you did say you were intentionally adding fuel to the fire, so I guess you were expecting this kind of response. It seems silly to add fuel to the fire if you don't want to hear the response.
DCMomOf3 08:09 AM 02-08-2011
I think this thread has too gone off topic.

If you want to discuss things not realated to the OP, I ask you take it to Private message, or a new thread.
Mrs.Ky 08:36 AM 02-08-2011
I really don't feel that I have insulted you. The closest I came to was to say that your comments were ignorant or...

"lacking knowledge: lacking knowledge or education in general or in a specific subject
unaware: unaware of something
resulting from lack of knowledge: caused by a lack of knowledge, understanding, or experience"

I stand by that statement. The evidence that children are safer, all children, including yours are safer, when seated rear facing and in appropriate car seats. You are clearly unaware of that FACT.

You indicated that your three year old sits in a booster seat; it is ILLEGAL to have your child in a booster seat in TN. You are clearly unaware of the LAW.

Children under age 4 must ride in a car seat. Tennessee requires that all car seats be federally approved and used according to manufacturer's instructions.

Children ages 4 through 8 and less than 4'9" in height must use a booster seat. Children through age 12 who are greater than 4'9" are required to use a vehicle seatbelt, and the rear seat is recommended for these children. Tennessee requires that all children under age 16 who are not in a car seat or booster use a vehicle seat belt.

You said you had a blunt personality and that some people just couldn't take it. I wasn't being insulting, I was just being straightforward. I apologize, if I hurt your feelings; it wasn't my intent. However, you did say you were intentionally adding fuel to the fire, so I guess you were expecting this kind of response. It seems silly to add fuel to the fire if you don't want to hear the response.
I dont live in TN. YES my 3 year old sits in a HIGH BACK BOOSTER seat made for ages 3 and up and for children 30 pounds and up which she FITS into prefectly safe and sound. I was just JOKING around about adding fuel to the fire. No you didnt hurt my feelings one bit but thanks for apologizing.

The child must be within the weight range for the child restraint/booster seat and it must meet Federal standards in effect at time of manufacture

This is from our state website and my little girl clearly fits into the guidelines of her booster. I DO know the carseat guidlines in my state and MD state because I use to live there. So Im not uneducated in that department.
Mrs.Ky 08:37 AM 02-08-2011
Originally Posted by DCMomOf3:
I think this thread has too gone off topic.

If you want to discuss things not realated to the OP, I ask you take it to Private message, or a new thread.
Sorry read this after I posted response
grandmom 12:29 PM 02-08-2011
As for the BF baby. My BF 4-month old's mom brings about 20 oz EVERY day. And EVERY day, the 4-month drinks 20 oz.

I'm sorry you have to deal with this.
Crystal 01:52 PM 02-08-2011
After reading this thread, I came upon this article about a new study by the AAP saying solids should not be introduced before four months as children who recieve solids before four months have a higher risk of obesity. Perhaps it would be a good idea to ask Mom if she is interested in starting solids, as it may help with her feeling guilty about not producing enough milk and the child will not go hungry. If MOm's not interested and cannot provide additional milk, I recommend what pp's have said and make Mom come pick her child up when you run out of milk:

http://www.latimes.com/health/booste...,7203311.story

Here is the study info from AAP:

http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...urcetype=HWCIT
nannyde 02:11 PM 02-08-2011
Here's another one regarding food allergies:

http://www.keepkidshealthy.com/infan...ingsolids.html

Most importantly, breastfeed and avoid supplementing with infant formula or offering solids for at least the first six months of your child's life.
nannyde 03:21 PM 02-08-2011
I think another really important correlation between obesity and children in regards to infant feeding is parents not really understanding serving sizes. I do a LOT of teaching before they start solids here. I show the parents what the serving sizes are for each food group.

When I show them that the MAXIMUM serving size for infant cereal is less than a quarter of a cup total when mixing the tablespoons of cereal and formula the parents are I even discuss it in terms of bites. "If you are giving a baby more than ten bites of cereal you will most likely be giving them too much." Their perception of a bowl of cereal is almost always three/four times as much as the max babies really need.

I show them the food guidelines I use from the food program and work with them to understand that the amounts are very small servings. I talk to them about how baby food is packaged and how feeding full jars of it is often way more than what they need for the meal. I SHOW them what an ounce of meat looks like pureed.

It really helps to give them visuals and measurements. I wish they did this at well child visits so parents would really SEE what the max amounts are especially with cereal and fruit.

I also talk to them about introducing foods and how important it is to offer the darker greens, orange, and yellow veggies. I can't tell you the number of parents I have seen go to fruit and cereal as the kids primary baby food source. Veggie and meats often end up being the least desired which can lead to feeding problems as the kid goes onto table food.

One thing that is happening now is that the cost of baby food is getting expensive enough that many parents are skipping to table food really early. I think it will become more of an issue in the very near future. Making home made baby food is cheaper but it's not the same as just smashing the adult food. The babies need the WHOLE food fruits, veggies, and meats. I think we will see a trend towards babies getting processed foods at a younger and younger age because the cost of baby food is so high and the average family is eating so much of their diet in processed foods.

The cost of formula is getting really really expensive now and this too will add to babies going onto adult processed foods before the age of one.

I know a LOT of providers and many of the experienced providers are seeing very large overweight babies in their business. I think it's something we will see even more of if we don't work to get some really good public information available and start talking to parents SPECIFICALLY about what the babies can eat and the AMOUNTS. We need to talk to them about making sure the babies HAVE formula till age one and that the baby food they DO eat needs to be real baby food and given in the reccomended amounts. We need to talk about how too much baby food can lead babies to reject their formula and breast milk and how between birth and eight months that these need to be their primary source of nutrition.

I also think we need to look at the white rice cereal and commercial yougurt specifically and see how it and the amounts that babies are getting is directly affecting obesity in young children.
Cat Herder 03:52 PM 02-08-2011
The cost of formula is getting really really expensive now and this too will add to babies going onto adult processed foods before the age of one.

I am having alot of problems with this right now. Thank you for bringing it up... I thought it was just a southern thing, lately.

I am having parents whom are going straight from "breastmilk only" to "table foods/whole milk only" without a weening process. (at home)

They announce this as "we are off bottles now". Like weaning them from a bottle MEANS no more purees, breastmilk, cereals or formula.

One actually sent Coccoa Puffs when I told them their child was "out of cereal" (this WAS "special" diet cereal).

I have never had to do this much parent education in my life????

Eh....sorry OP, I did it again, didn't I? I guess it does kindof fit, especially since you will probably have this same problem when it is time to wean your little hungry guy.....
nannyde 04:51 PM 02-08-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
I am having alot of problems with this right now. Thank you for bringing it up... I thought it was just a southern thing, lately.

I am having parents whom are going straight from "breastmilk only" to "table foods/whole milk only" without a weening process. (at home)

They announce this as "we are off bottles now". Like weaning them from a bottle MEANS no more purees, breastmilk, cereals or formula.

One actually sent Coccoa Puffs when I told them their child was "out of cereal" (this WAS "special" diet cereal).

I have never had to do this much parent education in my life????

Eh....sorry OP, I did it again, didn't I? I guess it does kindof fit, especially since you will probably have this same problem when it is time to wean your little hungry guy.....
I think a lot of this is because people really DON'T know how to feed babies. We just aren't doing a good job getting the information out to parents at crucial times like well child visits and WIC visits.

I would love to see baby food in freezer packs with cubes that are premeasured for age serving size. We don't need all the earth killing plastic individual containers. It would be just as easy for parents to pull out one cube or two cubes depending on the age of the baby. I make all my baby food and freeze it in muffin tins. It can be sold that way much cheaper and have labeling specifically for the age of the baby.

I think we need to see more info ON the baby food for serving size for each age range and we need to be stricter with the baby food companies about the amount of water they are allowed to add and the amounts of sugars and starches they are allowed to add to the pure food.

I don't like the yougurt deal either. I think most of the major brands have WAY too much sugar and the amounts babies are given is way too much for their size. Because it's sweet, easy to swallow, and easy to "make" it's one of the most overdone food for babies.

The other trend I see is that parents don't understand the correlation between having too much "food" too young and the backing off of formula and breast milk consumption. I've seen first hand what happens with babies that are eating way too much "food" and how it can drastically affect how much formula or breast milk they will take.

When white rice, fruits, and yougurts become the favored foods of the baby it can lead to a refusal of the most important formula or breast milk. When parents see babies refusing their "milk" they need to first look at the total amount of food they are eating and WHAT foods they are eating. IME, you won't see a formula decrease when babies are eating dark green, green, orange and yellow veggies. You WILL see it when they are overconsuming white rice, fruits, and yougurts.

Lastly, eating food early can lead a parent to look at their child as "advanced" or "so big". It should not be used as a sign of giftedness. It's not.
cillybean83 08:04 PM 02-08-2011
i had a dcp who ONLY gave their baby juice, like welchs frozen "juice drink" that was basically sugar water....I started watching this kid at 5 months and she would not take anything but juice because that's all she ever had! I asked the mom WTF is going on here, she won't take formula and the mom said "yeah, she took it for like a month, but i didn't think she liked it so we gave her juice and she loved it"

oh. my. god.

I got the kid to drink formula FINALLY, but she hated all food except for fruit and dry cereal, when she left in November (the one i had to threaten to take to court) she was 13 months old, and 15 pounds, had 2 teeth, and they were barely coming in...mom admitted to only giving her juice at home because she was "lactose intolerant" (funny, she took formula just fine here!) and this kids diapers were FOUL...the worst ever, they smelled like a sewer and were like chocolate sauce...disgusting...some parents are brain dead
jen 10:04 PM 02-08-2011
Originally Posted by cillybean83:
i had a dcp who ONLY gave their baby juice, like welchs frozen "juice drink" that was basically sugar water....I started watching this kid at 5 months and she would not take anything but juice because that's all she ever had! I asked the mom WTF is going on here, she won't take formula and the mom said "yeah, she took it for like a month, but i didn't think she liked it so we gave her juice and she loved it"

oh. my. god.

I got the kid to drink formula FINALLY, but she hated all food except for fruit and dry cereal, when she left in November (the one i had to threaten to take to court) she was 13 months old, and 15 pounds, had 2 teeth, and they were barely coming in...mom admitted to only giving her juice at home because she was "lactose intolerant" (funny, she took formula just fine here!) and this kids diapers were FOUL...the worst ever, they smelled like a sewer and were like chocolate sauce...disgusting...some parents are brain dead
I am speechless. What in the freakin' world!
Michael 10:08 PM 02-08-2011
I am speechless. What in the freakin' world!
That child is going to have bad teeth too someday. At least she is not giving her OJ.
nannyde 03:36 AM 02-09-2011
http://www.aap.org/breastfeeding/faqsBreastfeeding.html

Solid foods need to be introduced to ensure that your baby gets proper nutrition around 6 months of age. Ask your doctor about when to introduce solid foods and how to do it.
Live and Learn 02:27 PM 02-09-2011
ok.... I gotta ask....is this the same teacher DCM who doesn't supply enough milk for the infant?
Dsquared 02:57 PM 02-09-2011
Originally Posted by Live and Learn:
ok.... I gotta ask....is this the same teacher DCM who doesn't supply enough milk for the infant?
Yes. And the same mother who said in her DC interview, "my son is soooo clumsy, he's always falling down." Then on his third day drop off in a very accusatory voice "How did he get this bruise?" Uh, maybe he fell down.

I don't know how you guys do this job......
Live and Learn 03:06 PM 02-09-2011
Originally Posted by Live and Learn:
Oops! I meant to post this in your other thread!!
Unregistered 10:37 AM 10-27-2016
I am worried about a three monh old in the center I work at. I have asked the mom to bring formula many times and she refuses. So have other staff in my room. The baby finishes all it's breastmilk after six of the nine hours I watch it, it takes a bottle every two hours. Mom has even said she did not nurse since early morning before alarm clock repeatedly. Now she feeds the baby cereal at only three months and says center feeds other baby's so we should feed hers. I feel bad about it and do not want a hungry screaming baby I can not help. Do I do what mom says or stick to the center policy to wait till six months and sitting up in chair? Do I ask manager to call mom to get her and risk being seen as not doing my job?
laundrymom 10:41 AM 10-27-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I am worried about a three monh old in the center I work at. I have asked the mom to bring formula many times and she refuses. So have other staff in my room. The baby finishes all it's breastmilk after six of the nine hours I watch it, it takes a bottle every two hours. Mom has even said she did not nurse since early morning before alarm clock repeatedly. Now she feeds the baby cereal at only three months and says center feeds other baby's so we should feed hers. I feel bad about it and do not want a hungry screaming baby I can not help. Do I do what mom says or stick to the center policy to wait till six months and sitting up in chair? Do I ask manager to call mom to get her and risk being seen as not doing my job?
I would refer to director and ask her to request pickup. And require ample milk or refuse drop off.
Blackcat31 11:03 AM 10-27-2016
What state are you in? Some states have laws about this...and guide caregivers as to what the next steps should be.
Febby 06:48 PM 10-28-2016
I wouldn't break center policy without approval from an administrator.

I would let the director (or assistant director or owner or whoever is best for solving problems) know when baby is out and still has a significant amount of time left in care. "Hey, director, Susy is out of milk, but she will probably still be here until 6 and it's only 2:30." If nothing is done, let them know when baby is hungry. "Hey, director, Susy is hungry, but we're out of milk. What would you like me to do?"

If that doesn't resolve the problem, then put in your notice and find a better center to work at. Child care doesn't pay enough to make it worth it to be covering your boss's inability to solve a basic problem.
Tags:2011, formula, infant - meals, infants, juice, meals provided, milk
Reply Up