Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Off- Topic, That Was Super Invasive
daycare 09:42 AM 09-22-2017
So I rent my home through a property management company. I have lived here since april

yesterday I get an email saying that the owner wants the property management company to do a periodic inspection. I have nothing to hide so I say ok.

the lady came into my home and took pictures of EVERYTHING. Didn't even ask my permission just did it.

I feel so violated. IS this even legal? I just realized she may have even taken pictures of the daycare kids.

I want to find out if this is legal, and what I can do about it. the lady did tell me they were going to come and inspect my house every quarter.

no way am I going to let them do that again and my lease does not say anything about this at all. it just says that I have to agree to allow them to enter to fix anything needed. nothing needed to be fixed.
daycarediva 09:46 AM 09-22-2017
The only time I have ever heard of this, the landlord was selling but didn't want to panic the tenants.

I would email the landlord and specifically state that it is not in the lease, it's an extreme invasion of your privacy, it should not have been done during child care hours as it's an invasion of the children's privacy, you were NOT aware photos would be taken.

If you are willing to compromise, maybe say you are willing to send photos you take YOURSELF quarterly.
daycare 09:49 AM 09-22-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
The only time I have ever heard of this, the landlord was selling but didn't want to panic the tenants.

I would email the landlord and specifically state that it is not in the lease, it's an extreme invasion of your privacy, it should not have been done during child care hours as it's an invasion of the children's privacy, you were NOT aware photos would be taken.

If you are willing to compromise, maybe say you are willing to send photos you take YOURSELF quarterly.
that is a good idea to ask if they are going to sell the house.
I am just really stressed out with everything and this was just one more thing.
Blackcat31 10:02 AM 09-22-2017
It's normal practice for landlords here to do inspections.

The only thing I'd do differently is ask them to come when you are not working. That is a violation of the DCK's privacy but I doubt you can do anything about it as the landlord has a right to inspect their property as long as they do so according to your state's laws.

Totally understand that it feels intrusive but it's their right and something you must abide by as a tenant.

I'm sorry that it was such an unpleasant experience this time though. Hopefully its not because they (landlord) want to sell.... that would mean another move and that would be awful.

Blackcat31 10:04 AM 09-22-2017
Maybe this will help...http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/l...k/catenant.pdf
midaycare 10:37 AM 09-22-2017
I would definitely check the local house listings to see if it is on there shortly. Sorry
daycare 11:27 AM 09-22-2017
So I talked to fair housing and they said what they did is against the law but what am I going to do while I’m live by here. Ugh
Blackcat31 01:16 PM 09-22-2017
Originally Posted by daycare:
So I talked to fair housing and they said what they did is against the law but what am I going to do while I’m live by here. Ugh
What was against the law?
The request to inspect?
Photos of everything? photos of the kids?

I don't understand what was illegal.
I also agree that there probably isn't much you can do unless you want angry landlords.

I'd be upset too as it sounds like they could have managed an inspection much differently than they did.
daycare 04:07 PM 09-22-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
What was against the law?
The request to inspect?
Photos of everything? photos of the kids?

I don't understand what was illegal.
I also agree that there probably isn't much you can do unless you want angry landlords.

I'd be upset too as it sounds like they could have managed an inspection much differently than they did.
my understanding that under CIV1954, landlord has to have a valid reason to enter the premises and are allowed to conduct an annual inspection once a year. I have only been here 4 months and am being told I will be inspected every quarter.

I guess what can I do but be annoyed. I hate living in such a very expensive place where it seems like I will never be able to buy a home. sucks
flying_babyb 06:45 PM 09-22-2017
i would make sure they know next time that due to confidentiality laws they MAY NOT take pictures if they come during business hours.
daycare 07:57 AM 09-25-2017
so I looked to see if the house was up for sale anywhere, but I did not find anything.

I thought about just straight out asking them. we were hoping to stay here one more year, my oldest will graduate from college and then we will be a little more free to move.

do you think sending them an email would be ok to do asking if they intend to sell??
Blackcat31 08:21 AM 09-25-2017
Originally Posted by daycare:
so I looked to see if the house was up for sale anywhere, but I did not find anything.

I thought about just straight out asking them. we were hoping to stay here one more year, my oldest will graduate from college and then we will be a little more free to move.

do you think sending them an email would be ok to do asking if they intend to sell??
I see nothing wrong with maybe dropping them a quick email and asking what's up. Maybe let them know that it's your understanding that landlords are allowed to inspect yearly but you are not understanding why you will be inspected quarterly. Maybe just asking for an explanation for that part of it, you'll be able to gather enough information to figure out what's going on.
LittleScholars 09:20 AM 09-25-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
It's normal practice for landlords here to do inspections.

The only thing I'd do differently is ask them to come when you are not working. That is a violation of the DCK's privacy but I doubt you can do anything about it as the landlord has a right to inspect their property as long as they do so according to your state's laws.

Totally understand that it feels intrusive but it's their right and something you must abide by as a tenant.

I'm sorry that it was such an unpleasant experience this time though. Hopefully its not because they (landlord) want to sell.... that would mean another move and that would be awful.

This is a very normal practice here, as well. I share that in hopes that it seems less sketchy or purposeful. Landlords are encouraged to take pictures, as it is their only way of demonstrating the condition of the property and any damage done. That does not mean you are doing anything wrong or that you've caused any damage at all.

With that being said, I would absolutely reach out to them and tell them you run a daycare and you need to work together to be sure it doesn't put the children or their confidentiality at risk. I think this is a super reasonable request, and I imagine the property manager simply has a protocol they are required to follow and isn't considering your specific situation. I think properties managed by a manager vs. the owner can feel extra impersonal in this way.

I looked up the law and I don't see where landlords are restricted to one annual inspection so long as they give proper notice. My husband and I are brand new landlords (our tenants haven't even moved in yet), so I'm always interested in learning more. I'm sorry the inspection went to poorly, but I'm appreciative that you shared because it gives me some tenant perspective!
Tags:home owners association, pictures - violation
Reply Up