Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCM did NOT pay me for final week!!! NOT SURPRISED!!
MaritimeMummy 09:15 PM 08-03-2012
ARRGH, I should have known! She is SO manipulative! She dropped off and picked up on two of the 3 days DCG was here, and the 3rd day, DCD picked up, but DCM and DCD are not together so have nothing to do with one another. DCM on Thursday told me she left her chequebook at home so could she just send me an email money transfer. Sure, fine, whatever. Cut to last night, 10pm, asking me how much she owes me. I said, for 3 days, $90. Duh.

My policy is that payments for the week must be received by 6pm on Friday, no later, and that I reserve the right to charge $30 per day for every day late.

Today, (Friday) I was gone to my son''s doctor's appointment and to my great-grandmother's funeral. i came home and saw that at 4:30 she sent me an email saying her work internet isn't working and that she can't send me the email money transfer until "sometime early next week" OR she can bring me cash on Monday, *maybe*.

I. Am. LIVID. I have not even been calm enough to draft an email back yet. Thank GOD my daycare agency does money collection for delinquent clients!
Meyou 04:00 AM 08-04-2012
Ugh, I can't stand this DCM!!! I'm so glad you're done with her after you get your money.

I would reply with something like,

Dear DCM,

Per your contract late fees accrue at a rate of $30/day. On Monday, August 6th your bill will be $180.00 including regular and late fees if paid before 6pm. After 6pm I will be forwarding your information and account to my daycare agency for collection.

Thank you,

Provider.
MaritimeMummy 04:12 AM 08-04-2012
Originally Posted by Meyou:
Ugh, I can't stand this DCM!!! I'm so glad you're done with her after you get your money.

Dear DCM,

Per your contract late fees accrue at a rate of $30/day. On Monday, August 6th your bill will be $180.00 including regular and late fees if paid before 6pm. After 6pm I will be forwarding your information and account to my daycare agency for collection.

Thank you,

Provider.
I really, really like this. I tried so many times to start a message but my feelings kept getting in the way. She had tried so many times since she started with me to push my policies and get the upper hand. This is her way of getting that final dig of control in before she parted ways, although if I were to call her on it she'd be totally offended and deny it, of course, and become upset that I can't be more accomodating and understanding. That's what I bet she'd do anyway, based on her history. ;-)

I just don't get how she thinks she is above it all. She's in for a rude awakening when her daughter starts at a licensed daycare centre next week. She's not going to be able to pull this crap.

I don't think she remembers, I did not send home her things with DCD when he picked her up. So they will remain here until she pays.

TBH, I don't think she's trying to get out of paying me altogether. It's just "not convenient" for her to do it when I NEED it, so because it's inconvenient for HER, that makes what she's doing "okay" in her head. She even wrote a smiley face at the end of her email as though she wasn't doing anything wrong!
Meyou 04:25 AM 08-04-2012
It's pretty obvious she's teaching you a little lesson since you wouldn't take her child on your scheduled day off and had the nerve to want to attend your grandmother's funeral. I'm sorry for your loss again BTW. I don't think it has anything to do with the money with her either.

Hopefully, a stern email which doesn't leave room for negotiation will make her understand that you're DONE with her.
Truly Scrumptious 05:14 AM 08-04-2012
Originally Posted by KHiltz:
ARRGH, I should have known! She is SO manipulative! She dropped off and picked up on two of the 3 days DCG was here, and the 3rd day, DCD picked up, but DCM and DCD are not together so have nothing to do with one another. DCM on Thursday told me she left her chequebook at home so could she just send me an email money transfer. Sure, fine, whatever. Cut to last night, 10pm, asking me how much she owes me. I said, for 3 days, $90. Duh.

My policy is that payments for the week must be received by 6pm on Friday, no later, and that I reserve the right to charge $30 per day for every day late.

Today, (Friday) I was gone to my son''s doctor's appointment and to my great-grandmother's funeral. i came home and saw that at 4:30 she sent me an email saying her work internet isn't working and that she can't send me the email money transfer until "sometime early next week" OR she can bring me cash on Monday, *maybe*.

I. Am. LIVID. I have not even been calm enough to draft an email back yet. Thank GOD my daycare agency does money collection for delinquent clients!
This is why I get paid in advance. Even for drop in care. The parents have to either pay each morning as they go along, or pay for the days of care that they think they need that week up front.
And they understand per their contract, that if they set aside 3 days of care and pay for 3 days of care, then there's no going back. If something happens....like their child is sick on one of the 3 days, or grandma calls out of the blue and wants the child on one of the 3 days...money is not refunded for the extra day, nor is it applied to future days.
saved4always 06:31 AM 08-04-2012
I love the suggested email note in one of the previous posts. Doesn't give her a place to exert her own will about it...just tells here what is going to happen now. Try not to let her ruin your weekend and celebrate that you will no longer have to deal with her.

Where I work now, they only take automatic payment withdrawals from a bank account as payment and they are done a week before care is to be given. No way parents can put off paying for thier child's care.

When I did childcare in my home, I required that I be paid for the week on the first day I provided care for that week. I only had a couple parents who ever pushed this and did not pay on time. Most of my parents were like clock work handing me that check or cash on the first morning.
MaritimeMummy 07:38 AM 08-04-2012
All of this has definitely been a learning process. I'm sure a lot of you know by now that her daughter was the first child in my home day care. She came in September of last year and my next child didn't come until January, and that was my cousin's child so I think she always thought it was a very relaxed, casual arrangement and she just never got it through her head that it was otherwise. I have always been kind and wanted to be friendly and give people the benefit of the doubt. It seemed like every week or two, she'd give me a reason to go over my contract and re-work it for the future. By the time january rolled around, I had changed my contract pretty drastically since when she started in September, and she has openly resented me for it. But I dealt with her for the sake of her daughter, who I love.

Out of 4 parents, she would have been the only one to throw a stink over pre-payment for the week. The rest of them would not have a problem with it, and in fact, I was really tight for money one week and they were kind enough to prepay 2 weeks in advance. THOSE are the people I want.

This DCM is starting her own business. I wonder how she'd expect to respond to me if I went in to her store, took armloads of her stuff, and said, "oh, but sorry, I can't pay you this week, not until the start of next week maybe".

(and how close I was to emailing that very same analogy to her! LOL)
Crazy8 08:46 AM 08-04-2012
I love Meyou's letter... please send it to DCM asap!!! You may be surprised how quickly she gets you your $90 when she sees it will be doubled by monday!

I would really encourage you to get payment in advance for all future clients. They pay Friday for the following week. They can "forget" on Friday, accrue smaller late fees thru the weekend but dare show up on Monday with child and no payment and you are turned away at the door. You will never be owed money again!!!!
daycarediva 11:43 AM 08-04-2012
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
I love Meyou's letter... please send it to DCM asap!!! You may be surprised how quickly she gets you your $90 when she sees it will be doubled by monday!

I would really encourage you to get payment in advance for all future clients. They pay Friday for the following week. They can "forget" on Friday, accrue smaller late fees thru the weekend but dare show up on Monday with child and no payment and you are turned away at the door. You will never be owed money again!!!!
That's how I do it as well, Friday by 6pm for the following week, if you don't have it, it's $20 every day it's late, then I can tell them not to show Monday without it if it's still owed Sunday evening.
Kaddidle Care 01:43 PM 08-04-2012

Dear DCM,

Thank you,

Provider.
Ah yes, but don't forget the smiley face!
My3cents 04:55 PM 08-05-2012
Originally Posted by MaritimeMummy:
All of this has definitely been a learning process. I'm sure a lot of you know by now that her daughter was the first child in my home day care. She came in September of last year and my next child didn't come until January, and that was my cousin's child so I think she always thought it was a very relaxed, casual arrangement and she just never got it through her head that it was otherwise. I have always been kind and wanted to be friendly and give people the benefit of the doubt. It seemed like every week or two, she'd give me a reason to go over my contract and re-work it for the future. By the time january rolled around, I had changed my contract pretty drastically since when she started in September, and she has openly resented me for it. But I dealt with her for the sake of her daughter, who I love.

Out of 4 parents, she would have been the only one to throw a stink over pre-payment for the week. The rest of them would not have a problem with it, and in fact, I was really tight for money one week and they were kind enough to prepay 2 weeks in advance. THOSE are the people I want.

This DCM is starting her own business. I wonder how she'd expect to respond to me if I went in to her store, took armloads of her stuff, and said, "oh, but sorry, I can't pay you this week, not until the start of next week maybe". think this all you want but be above this behavior. The things that go through my head, if the parents only knew, wink wink....but I refuse to lower myself to that level.

(and how close I was to emailing that very same analogy to her! LOL)

no no no....... I am glad that you didn't do this, but I would send her the letter the other poster (forgive can't remember your screen name) wrote up. Perfect, business nothing personal just business. She looked at you more as of a friend then she did as your client of your business. Big learning curve- hang in there.
My3cents 04:58 PM 08-05-2012
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
Ah yes, but don't forget the smiley face!
as much as you want to put that smiley in- again don't do that. Be professional about your business so that you are taken seriously.

I too want to shove the smiley in there.......but I wouldn't. If you send this letter be ready to follow through too! Best-
MaritimeMummy 06:03 AM 08-06-2012
Originally Posted by My3cents:
[/b]

no no no....... I am glad that you didn't do this, but I would send her the letter the other poster (forgive can't remember your screen name) wrote up. Perfect, business nothing personal just business. She looked at you more as of a friend then she did as your client of your business. Big learning curve- hang in there.
I actually did copy/paste the letter suggested. :-) That was Saturday morning. Have yet to hear from her in response. I told her that since today is a holiday here that I am going to be closed and spending the day with my family, so to call before she comes. If I am not home she can either email money transfer it to me or drop it off with my in-laws who live next door. If she drops it off with my in-laws she knows that her daughters' things are there to be exchanged when the pay is received.
Kaddidle Care 07:45 AM 08-06-2012
Originally Posted by My3cents:
as much as you want to put that smiley in- again don't do that. Be professional about your business so that you are taken seriously.

I too want to shove the smiley in there.......but I wouldn't. If you send this letter be ready to follow through too! Best-
Oh you're right - I should have put (J/K) instead of the winkie. I was just being cheeky.
MaritimeMummy 11:08 AM 08-06-2012
So shocker of shockers, she has 1 hour left and still no word from her.

As angry as I am with her about this do I really forward this off to my home day care agency? If I do that then I can pretty much guarantee that my daughter and she will never see each other again, and they are such good friends. :-(

I know it's not supposed to be made personal but holy heck, she was my daughter's first real friend...
Meyou 03:15 PM 08-06-2012
Can you meet her to have a playdate if she doesn't ever pay you?? IMO it's already personal. She's choosing not to pay you and not to communicate with you.
MaritimeMummy 03:51 AM 08-07-2012
Can you meet her to have a playdate if she doesn't ever pay you?? IMO it's already personal. She's choosing not to pay you and not to communicate with you.
That's true! You're right!

Ohhhhhh Meyou, she's moving to HRM, I seriously HOPE you don't end up with her!

I, of course, didn't hear from her at all over the weekend. 4pm came and went. I sent her an email at 8:30pm last night:

"Hello, _______

It is currently 8:30 pm. As previously stated in my last email, I will be forwarding off your outstanding fees to my home day care agency, who has been alerted to this situation.

Late fees will continue to accrue at $30 per day it is late, since Friday, August 3rd, until collection has been made.

Once collection has been made, in full, you will be permitted to remove ______'s belongings from my home day care."

So I got up, checked my email this morning, and had an email from her:

"Hi ______, so sorry, so busy, still unpacking, dead tired, will pay tomorrow, sorry it's late".

*facepalm* What on EARTH does it take to get through to this woman?!
MaritimeMummy 05:40 AM 08-07-2012
!!!!!!! she just told me, "hold your horses, you'll get paid".

WTH?!
Blackcat31 06:02 AM 08-07-2012
!!!!!!! she just told me, "hold your horses, you'll get paid".

WTH?!
I seriously hope there is some type of late fee attached for having to "hold your horses"

Personally, I wouldn't be so sure I would want my DD to be friends with someone who has a parent so disrespectful towards you.

Hope you get your money
Kaddidle Care 06:18 AM 08-07-2012
Yep, that "friendship" is done.

It's time to start writing up that collection paperwork. Time's up.
MaritimeMummy 06:40 AM 08-07-2012
I'm having a nice discussion with my agency now. They will collect for me.
MaritimeMummy 06:59 AM 08-07-2012
What a hassle for what would have been $90.
Kaddidle Care 10:53 AM 08-07-2012
She's busy moving, but I bet she wasn't too busy to pick up her own paycheck.

I'm sure that $90.00 was already earmarked for groceries or whatever bill you needed to pay.

I really wonder what this person's credit is like if she pays all of her bills so nonchalantly. She probably feels stiffing you isn't going to hurt her credit. Wait until that collection appears on her report. She's in for a rude awakening.
MaritimeMummy 12:24 PM 08-07-2012
Chapter completed! She resorted to getting her mother to come drop off money to me this afternoon after I threatened her with escalating it to collections.

Her mom had to pay me with one of her own personal cheques from her own account. At first she called me and said, "I just got an email from my daughter, she said she owes you $90? Can I drop it off tomorrow?"

Me: "Uh, actually, she owes me $180, $210 if it's not paid by 4pm today".

She was here in 15 minutes!
Meyou 12:41 PM 08-07-2012
Chapter completed! She resorted to getting her mother to come drop off money to me this afternoon after I threatened her with escalating it to collections.

Her mom had to pay me with one of her own personal cheques from her own account. At first she called me and said, "I just got an email from my daughter, she said she owes you $90? Can I drop it off tomorrow?"

LOVE IT! Congrats on sorting it out so quickly and staying so strong.
MaritimeMummy 12:50 PM 08-07-2012
LOVE IT! Congrats on sorting it out so quickly and staying so strong.
That was quick? It felt like an eternity! I feel like I am completely out of control, emotion-wise, when it comes to things like this. This is the first time this has happened so I was really worried about how it would play out! I won't give it a chance to get to this point in the future, now i know better! thanks for the advice and support everyone!!!
Kaddidle Care 03:33 PM 08-07-2012
A personal check? Make sure you cash it at HER bank.

Congrats on ending the chapter financially sound.
daycarediva 04:14 PM 08-07-2012

Glad you got paid!!
Reply Up