Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Open Late Just This Week?
jojosmommy 08:33 AM 12-17-2012
Was thinking about all the millions of things I need to do for the holidays and how blessed I am to have a helpful husband and family who always "rescues" me when I am 8 "to do" lists deep.

So, I was thinking my daycare parents are undoubtly feeling the crunch this week too. I am thinking about extending my hours (I always close at 4:30) this week so parents had just a little more time to get those last minute things done. I thought about being open until 5:30 or 6 Tuesday/Thursday this week to help parents out. A thank you of sorts for all their support this year.

What do you guys think?
Play Care 08:48 AM 12-17-2012
Honestly, I would pick *one* day as the "late" day and that would be it. I think even though you have a supportive spouse you may very well feel the pinch toward the end of the week. I guess that my thought is that this isn't the time of year to overextend yourself.
But if you really want to do the whole week and think you can manage, then go for it.
Mom&Provider 08:58 AM 12-17-2012
I think that's very nice of you...I would never do it! LOL!

I agree with the pp'er, maybe pick 1 or even 2 days and offer it, but if you do the whole week will that make you feel over tired and perhaps a bit resentful after mid-week? Do you think this might open the door to a parent asking you down the road to stay open because they have XYZ to get done and it would help them?

Maybe it's mean and not the way I should look at it, but I know my DCP's would never offer early pick-ups because I had an event coming up or needed to wrap gifts and they knew I was busy...that would never happen! I also know that they get off work early and take days off and still send their child here so they can do things or as one parent has told me go home and nap before picking up their child! So, no, I wouldn't offer it....but that's just me!
jojosmommy 10:59 AM 12-17-2012
I decided to offer to be open and feed dinner to the kids Tu, Th, Fri until 6 pm. One and a half extra hours 3x this week wont do anything to my plans this week but I KNOW it will be awesome for my families.

I am a firm believer in giving to others in any way I can. Just printed the sign, put it up by the door and I feel awesome!

If my provider or anyone offered this to me I would be sooooo thankful!!

I should add that I dont worry about a parent asking for extra time in the future because I am confident saying NO, that doesnt work for me. Plus my parents are awesome and they respect me. I just thought this would be a nice way to say thanks for everything this year!
Crazy8 11:01 AM 12-17-2012
I just did a Saturday "parents day" for that - I feel like a bulk # of hours is more helpful than an hour here or there but that's just how I do things and I hate the idea of extending my day any longer than it already is but a Saturday with the kids was fun and different!!
cheerfuldom 11:06 AM 12-17-2012
I wouldnt do this but i think its awesome that you are able to offer this to your families.
LK5kids 02:42 PM 12-17-2012
love all your ideas!
Reply Up