Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Staying Open Late
storybookending 07:56 PM 01-04-2018
Hi all. I had a parent ask me if I can stay open an extra half hour one day next week. I close at 5:30 and she would like to pick up at 6PM. I am at a point in my life where staying open a little bit later is not a problem when asked ahead of time and planned. I am looking for advice on what you would charge in a situation such as this. I have a note in my contract that simply says “pick up times after 5:30PM must be approved and arranged at least 24 hours prior and may also require an additional fee”. No one has ever asked so I haven’t had to deal with this yet. TIA.
Josiegirl 02:28 AM 01-05-2018
Do you have a normal late fee? Mine would be 20 bucks for an extra 30 minutes. But it all depends on how willing you are to do it. I recently stayed open(not my choice, dcd was very late!) an extra 30 minutes 1 night and an hour another night. LONGEST time in dc ever! But I suppose if you prearranged it, it might not feel so bad. You can plan that way. Would she be able to give you a set day every week or would her school change weekly?
DaveA 04:22 AM 01-05-2018
What's your late fee? I would either charge that. If that equals an amount you feel is "too much" do 1/2-3/4 of what a 30 minute late pickup would be.
Indoorvoice 06:23 AM 01-05-2018
I'm willing to stay open late when it is pre arranged in advance. I charge $1.50/15 minutes.
Blackcat31 06:36 AM 01-05-2018
I have done this in the past as well and I always charged $5-10 per 30 minutes. Depending on the family/child.

I know it seems alot but really it HAS to be worth your time or you get resentful when asked to do this.
If you aren't paid well for going above and beyond then I wouldn't feel comfortable or appreciated in doing it.

If you charge too little the parent will see it as a GREAT deal on their end and will start asking you to regularly stay later so I think you definitely have to charge enough that it sends the message that "this time is RARELY available and is ABOVE and BEYOND normal services" but not charge so much that it's over the top ridiculous. kwim?
Snowmom 07:00 AM 01-05-2018
Easy, babysitting rates.
Here, that's around $15 an hour for someone with my qualifications.

I would never do it for less because I really, really, really like my family time.
Jupadia 08:05 AM 01-05-2018
I do it more for when parents get stuck on the highway or such (dose not happen very often). If parents inform me before 530 (close at 6) the pay 10 per 30 min if late. If no call 1 per min. I also will if asked do this ahead of time and charge 15 per hour thou only 1 parent has ever done that for a single day (did date night with husband).
storybookending 08:29 AM 01-05-2018
Thank you all for sharing what you all do. My late fee is $1 per minute and they know I’m serious as I often put my own coat on along with the last kiddos and head out the door as those families are leaving at night to do my own things. I charged my own brother a late fee a couple months ago to prove to him how serious I was. His wife had many words with him about if his tardiness causes them to lose daycare she’ll divorce him I have another niece that drops in and mom was 5 minutes late last month and that SIL paid the late fee that her daycare charges ($2 an hour) even though I told her $1 a minute was my policy and has apologized every time I’ve seen her since. Funny how it’s always family

Charging $30 as per my late fee seems a bit steep as that is my daily rate and she is following contract and asking permission well ahead of time. Since it is pre arranged babysitting rates might be the best bet. Babysitting rates around here are $10-$12 dollars an hour so charging that way would be $5-$6 dollars. This is just an occasional thing that I don’t mind doing once and while if asked nicely and in a timely manor with no expectations of me saying yes. I am unwilling to stay open until 6 one night a week every week.. ask SIL #3 how she feels about that
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 08:34 AM 01-05-2018
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
Easy, babysitting rates.

I would never do it for less because I really, really, really like my family time.
This is what I do as well, though I do $10 an hour. I have one family that has needed late pick ups in the past (prearranged way ahead of time). This rate was about right in that it wasn't too outrageous, but enough that their first choice is always make arrangements with grandma for pick up.
rosieteddy 08:56 AM 01-05-2018
I would charge at least 10.00 for the half hour.It has to be worth your while.If you charge less then parent will use it more frequently and before you know it your hours are until 6 everyday.I charged 15 for half an hour early in the am,I did not really want to open everyday at 7.
kendallina 10:11 AM 01-05-2018
I generally charge $5 per half hour for early morning drop offs. I hate late pick ups, I'd be tempted to charge more for that...lol.
Snowmom 11:08 AM 01-05-2018
Easy, babysitting rates.

I should also mention: I wouldn't pro-rate any portion of the hour. They need an extra 1/2 hour but it's still in my home, not theirs. Which means clean up time and possibly an extra snack. You know they're not going to arrive before 6:00 either. It'll likely be 6:05-6:20.
storybookending 11:49 AM 01-05-2018
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
I would charge at least 10.00 for the half hour.It has to be worth your while.If you charge less then parent will use it more frequently and before you know it your hours are until 6 everyday. I charged 15 for half an hour early in the am,I did not really want to open everyday at 7.
This isn’t something I am advertising. This is a one time agreement between this one mother and myself. Not something they will be able to “use” and take advantage of as my permission is needed. I stayed open until 6:15 for my first clients. After they were out the door my hours changed and they are not going back.

Originally Posted by kendallina:
I generally charge $5 per half hour for early morning drop offs. I hate late pick ups, I'd be tempted to charge more for that...lol.
I am the opposite. Earlier arrivals would get a big no or a heftier fee, staying a bit later so long as I’m told, doesn’t bother me at this point in my life as I am single and childless so it is not like I have a dinner to prepare and a night time routine like a lot of you.

I should also mention: I wouldn't pro-rate any portion of the hour. They need an extra 1/2 hour but it's still in my home, not theirs. Which means clean up time and possibly an extra snack. You know they're not going to arrive before 6:00 either. It'll likely be 6:05-6:20.
See for me this isn’t a big deal. I do most of my clean up while the children are still here outside of any major chores such as mopping the floor or blowing snow. Mom will be sending the extra snack so I’m not out any money just a half hour of my time that I would normally be spending sitting on the couch watching Netflix. All of my currently enrolled families are great and I have a personal relationship outside of daycare with most of them. If this mom says she’ll be here by 6 she means she’ll be here by 6. I wouldn’t be saying yes to any family that hasn’t proven to me to be truthful and a seasoned family in good standing.
Mom2Two 12:19 PM 01-05-2018
I know I'm repeating some of the above, but...

* Depends on family and the child. Some would look at it as extra babysitting...others only ask if they're having surgery.

* I have extra hour rates in my contracts WITH a minimum. It's helpful if your contract says "$xx.00 per hour with a minimum of $x.00 for any part of an hour."

* I have a different rate for extra time that is within my normal open/close times and then a much higher rate for time after my normal close time of $5:30 pm.
Blackcat31 12:19 PM 01-05-2018
Originally Posted by storybookending:
I am the opposite. Earlier arrivals would get a big no or a heftier fee, staying a bit later so long as I’m told, doesn’t bother me at this point in my life as I am single and childless so it is not like I have a dinner to prepare and a night time routine like a lot of you.
That's a great example of the differences between a young provider (like you) and an older provider (like me):

I'd say yes a 1000X's quicker if someone wanted an earlier opening than I ever would for someone that wants my time after closing. lol!

My kids are grown and gone but I'd much prefer to come in/open early than stay later. I am done and walking out the door AT 5:00 PM and not a minute later.
Tags:after hours care
Reply Up